Caleb Daniel's (absolutely enormous) Bandwagon led by the Giant Clydesdales of Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching the replay, he has an amazing ability to assess the options in a split second and pick the right one. Example: Dunkley's second goal - Caleb got the spillage from Biggs' great spoil, started running, could have/might have passed off to Dahl who was calling for it, but saw Dunkley running towards goal and kicked it to him and we know the rest. I also love how he kind of waggles the ball while he's thinking and opposition players get ready for a handball, instead he picks a target to kick to, and they are thrown off balance.
You don't see enough dummies and fakes from players these days as we used to a couple of decades ago. I used to love watching Dougy Hawkins dummy and bawk the opposition. Made them all look silly at times and gave himself a split second more time to sum up the situation and deliver a good pass or kick a goal. Caleb has that freaky ability and I hope we get to see it more often.

Just watching the replay, he has an amazing ability to assess the options in a split second and pick the right one. Example: Dunkley's second goal - Caleb got the spillage from Biggs' great spoil, started running, could have/might have passed off to Dahl who was calling for it, but saw Dunkley running towards goal and kicked it to him and we know the rest. I also love how he kind of waggles the ball while he's thinking and opposition players get ready for a handball, instead he picks a target to kick to, and they are thrown off balance.
The other thing is his ability to somehow kick it with his right foot whilst wheeling around to his left and hit the target off the side of his boot just as cleanly as a left footer would with their preferred foot. That's some sort of ball manipulation only caleb is capable of.

Reckon he and Bont could turn out to be the most effective 1-2 punch midfield combo in the league. Both make incredible decisions and their footy iq and evasiveness allows for extra time to pick the right option. One is 193cm and the other is 167cm.

Reckon he and Bont could turn out to be the most effective 1-2 punch midfield combo in the league. Both make incredible decisions and their footy iq and evasiveness allows for extra time to pick the right option. One is 193cm and the other is 167cm.
Imagine opposition midfielders having to adjust their tackling techniques when they use the ball one-two.
A perfect Bonti tackle is a head-high free on Daniel, a perfect Daniel tackle is a trip on Bonti :D

I always thought this kid would be scary good when he starts getting over 25 touches and 30 touches a game.

Tonight validated this.

Unreal game.
I was saying this a lot in the rising star thread, when others were saying he might win it but will never be as good a player as Mills or petracca, i would write how much low vision do you have, wait till he plays more midfield with his disposal efficiency.

Imagine opposition midfielders having to adjust their tackling techniques when they use the ball one-two.
A perfect Bonti tackle is a head-high free on Daniel, a perfect Daniel tackle is a trip on Bonti :D
Luckily, this will not be a concern for opposition players, as they will struggle to lay a hand on either player.

I'd like to think we're better than taking the piss out of a bloke whose season probably just ended from injury. Grow up.
Fair enough but Mills to me seemed full of himself after winning the award, it might have been tongue in cheek but his response with i better go speak to ling then when they said Ling was the only one who gave max votes to Daniel smacked of arrogance, if it was the other way around Daniel would have responded with well he had a great year too.

I thought I was pretty positive that Mills will be the better player out of the 2. Rising star or not.

Now after that finals game I'm not so sure...If Caleb can replicate that or even come close consistently...holy crap.

Fair enough but Mills to me seemed full of himself after winning the award, it might have been tongue in cheek but his response with i better go speak to ling then when they said Ling was the only one who gave max votes to Daniel smacked of arrogance, if it was the other way around Daniel would have responded with well he had a great year too.
Yes, he's only young and full of himself, time will tell if he turns into a flog or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if he will be taggable? Opposition will always feel inclined to tag the bont in preference to any of our other players, I guess, so he might not have to worry.

He actually said that, **** him

First ever unanimous (basically) rising star to get the chocolates after first getting a nomination in round 16......... Lol, nothing more than flawed media bias wins him the award, Tom Langdon had a bigger impact than him in basically the same defensive role two years ago, he only came fifth I think.

Yes, he's only young and full of himself, time will tell if he turns into a flog or not.
I just noticed it as what a young flog. You compare that do Daniels interview on the dogs website
He actually said that, **** him

First ever unanimous (basically) rising star to get the chocolates after first getting a nomination in round 16......... Lol, nothing more than flawed media bias wins him the award, Tom Langdon had a bigger impact than him in basically the same defensive role two years ago, he only came fifth I think.
Yes he 100% said it on a SEN interview, i thought what crap, most young players would have said well he played well too like i said before.

Sounds like a joke to me, rather than arrogance. Honestly, it's refreshing to hear some personality from players once in a while.

I wonder if he will be taggable? Opposition will always feel inclined to tag the bont in preference to any of our other players, I guess, so he might not have to worry.
Libba would be the second player to tag - lead the competition in clearances in 2014 and was our B&F, and has added goal kicking midfielder to his CV (the last missing piece of the puzzle).
I think we actually forget how good our midfielders are - in half a dozen teams Libba would be the best mid, and Macrae was the second coming of Jesus until Bonti developed (2nd in the B&F in his second season).

Daniel can't be tagged by one player anyway, already has one of the biggest tanks in the game and no HBFer whose name doesn't rhyme with "Natty Voyd" could run with him for 4 quarters - if they could, they'd be playing midfield.

Libba would be the second player to tag - lead the competition in clearances in 2014 and was our B&F, and has added goal kicking midfielder to his CV (the last missing piece of the puzzle).
I think we actually forget how good our midfielders are - in half a dozen teams Libba would be the best mid, and Macrae was the second coming of Jesus until Bonti developed (2nd in the B&F in his second season).

Daniel can't be tagged by one player anyway, already has one of the biggest tanks in the game and no HBFer whose name doesn't rhyme with "Natty Voyd" could run with him for 4 quarters - if they could, they'd be playing midfield.

yeah but, when choosing who to tag, you consider who is the most damaging player and also how taggable they are. Bont, Daniel and sometimes Dal are our most damaging mids in terms of score involvements and assists. Libba is a great 'source', hutner and Macrae great linkups, but its the other three you want to prevent receiving the ball forward of centre.

Coasters sat on Bont and curbed his influence, but that allowed Caleb off the leash, and he was incredibly damaging. Hawks will look at that and think about what are the chances if they tag bont that he will have two average games in a row vs if they sit on caleb, can he be tagged out of it?

Anyone notice how everyone has been referring to his game against the Eagles as his first finals game... Did he not play against Adelaide last year? I'm sure he did.

He did, came on as the sub and had 7 touches and 3 tackles. Haven't actually heard anyone say that about him though, HAVE heard it said about Libba though... (Which is true)

Where would caleb go in a re-draft?

1. Moore
2. Wright
3. Petracca
4. Daniel
5. Heeney
6. Lever
Yep - maybe a line ball Daniel and Heeney for 4th and 5th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back