News Caleb Marchbank nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be next years second for Marchbank. They need it to pay for players next year. Pick 20 next year is worth more than pick 15 this year to them.

Agree 100%. I mentioned this trade a while ago because to me it made perfect sense. But with all the talk being that we're interested in some of their other players like Stewart, Corr and Pickett, I think this year's second rounder will come into play somehow.

Personally, I'd rather keep pick #23 because in a deep draft you never know who could slide. But having said that, those 3 could be handy pickups. Pickett's injury concerns me, but having Corr in the squad for depth with our KPDs and a guy like Stewart who's had a tough time cementing his spot ahead of guys like Cameron & Patton wouldn't be so bad.

Agree 100%. I mentioned this trade a while ago because to me it made perfect sense. But with all the talk being that we're interested in some of their other players like Stewart, Corr and Pickett, I think this year's second rounder will come into play somehow.

Personally, I'd rather keep pick #23 because in a deep draft you never know who could slide. But having said that, those 3 could be handy pickups. Pickett's injury concerns me, but having Corr in the squad for depth with our KPDs and a guy like Stewart who's had a tough time cementing his spot ahead of guys like Cameron & Patton wouldn't be so bad.

There is no doubting Picketts talent, but some of the reports bother me as much as the foot injury. Just seems a lot like a bloke who cruised on talent as a junior, and now he's really going to have to put the hard yards in to both get over a debillitating injury, and then to get his fitness and endurance base back to where it needs to be (and he was already behind), all just to get back to square one. It was a similar injury that crippled Yarran and they're similar players (Pickett even compares himself to Yaz). There is a massive red flag there.

I dont mind the look of Corr. He could be that gorilla key back we've been looking for. That said, Im pretty solid on our backline, particularly if we get Marchbank (whcih we will).

Stewart is another Lamb. We'll take him for depth, but not at any expense elsewhere.

I just reckon at around the 23 mark we could pick up a Battle or Kerr type. When you look over the top 30 odd names getting mentioned in this draft, there are still some good names around the 20-25 mark. None of the names getting thrown around in the GWS deal excite me at all (barring Marchbank).

We gotta load up on the draft. I want KPP (forwards and backs) of quality. Then we get the mids.

If we could get Patton to agree to move south with Marchbank, we could talk next years 1st, but I'd want a second rounder coming back our way this year, and I'd also be telling Gibbs to pack his bags so we could get back into the 1st next year.

There is no doubting Picketts talent, but some of the reports bother me as much as the foot injury. Just seems a lot like a bloke who cruised on talent as a junior, and now he's really going to have to put the hard yards in to both get over a debillitating injury, and then to get his fitness and endurance base back to where it needs to be (and he was already behind), all just to get back to square one. It was a similar injury that crippled Yarran and they're similar players (Pickett even compares himself to Yaz). There is a massive red flag there.

I dont mind the look of Corr. He could be that gorilla key back we've been looking for. That said, Im pretty solid on our backline, particularly if we get Marchbank (whcih we will).

Stewart is another Lamb. We'll take him for depth, but not at any expense elsewhere.

I just reckon at around the 23 mark we could pick up a Battle or Kerr type. When you look over the top 30 odd names getting mentioned in this draft, there are still some good names around the 20-25 mark. None of the names getting thrown around in the GWS deal excite me at all (barring Marchbank).

We gotta load up on the draft. I want KPP (forwards and backs) of quality. Then we get the mids.

If we could get Patton to agree to move south with Marchbank, we could talk next years 1st, but I'd want a second rounder coming back our way this year, and I'd also be telling Gibbs to pack his bags so we could get back into the 1st next year.

A lot of people hate the idea of trading Gibbs, but it's not a bad move to get us another 1st rounder for next year regardless of whether we get Patton or not.

But we will not be getting Patton and it's highly unlikely that the club will tell Gibbs to pack his bags. The only way we're trading him is if he is offered a better deal elsewhere and he decides to take it or SOS and BB have a word to him and let him know that they intend to trade him to boost our rebuild.

Going back to pick #23, as I said, personally I'd rather we keep it and use it in the draft. With the depth this year, we may pick up a high quality kid still. Battle to me only seems to stand out because there aren't many quality KPFs in this draft. Kerr is passionate about the club but pick #41 is probably too late for him and #23 a bit too early imo. I think we'd need a pick in the 30's if we're going to pick up Kerr. But if a guy like Clarke is still available at pick #23 I'd be very happy with picking him up.

Kreuzer is another one who should be shopped around. If someone is willing to offer up a first rounder, we take it imo.

A lot of people hate the idea of trading Gibbs, but it's not a bad move to get us another 1st rounder for next year regardless of whether we get Patton or not.

Its a combination of loyalty to Gibbs, people sick to death of the bloke getting ragged and dissed (and he cops it a lot), and people missing the point of where we're at as a club.

Its annoying becuase as soon as his name gets mentioned in any kind of trade scenario, the whole joint squares off into two opposing camps.

For the record, I like Gibbs. It shits me that after drafting him we basically wasted him in the half back line, jammed him in the leadership group before he was ready, and then let the list decay around him by trading out or letting walk all of our good forwards. If he stays with us, he wont win a premiership. Which is s**t because he's a great player and deserves one. From where the club sits, he has currency that can help us get to where we need to go, and that currency is more valuable to what he provides the team with him in it. Its one of those possible win (for us) win (for him) and win (for his new club) scenarios that (IMO) we should be entertaining.

I dont think we'll trade him. I'm confident that he'll get (intentionally) undercut on his next contract though. It'll be a (rather insulting) 400k ballpark contract. He'll either accept, or look elsewhere and we'll be compensated.

Thats not a diss to Bryce, just the nature of the beast at the club at present. If you're over 25 expect unders on your contract. Casboult, Kruezer, Tuohy etc.

But we will not be getting Patton and it's highly unlikely that the club will tell Gibbs to pack his bags.

It's not said that way. Its put to him that we're in a reset and we're almost certainly not challenging for a flag during his tenure at the club. We're looking to concentrate talent in the under 23 age bracket. We invite him to speak to his manager, and test the market. with an understanding that we'll do everything in our power to faciliatate a trade that compensates us appropriately. We're also happy for him to stay at a reduced wage due to his leadership and loaylty to the club. In a nutshell, he's advised that going to earn better coin and have a better chance at success before he retires elsewhere.

The ball is in his court with the full support of the club no matter what he decides.

Look at Footscray and the Saints. Ward, Cooney, Griffen, Lake, Dal Santo, Goddard.

They kepy Murphy and Roo though. You dont go full Melbourne, but if you're going to reset, you need to lose some of your good players (older players) for currency to rebuild the list.

Again, its the nature of the beast.

Kreuzer is another one who should be shopped around. If someone is willing to offer up a first rounder, we take it imo.

Id take it also. No diss to Kruezer, but Phillips looked OK this year - not as good as Kruezer, but if its a 1st rounder coming back in exchance for the difference between the two players, id value the 1st rounder higher.

If we could land Marchbank, Stewart, Corr and Pickett for 2016/17 second rouders I'd do it in a flash.
The three talls straighted our spine structure immediately and allow for some goal scoring, at last and
Pickett is the icing on the cake he is a very talented young player and if manged properly in a fresh enviorment and given opportunity is all class that we desperatly need.
Actually we'll make up for the loss of Yarren.
Go Baggers
In Silvagni we trust.

Gibbs will never get traded. Not least of which the message that is shown in regards to loyalty. I don't think we want to be seen as a team that discards or doesn't reciprocate loyalty. Just my observation looking in. Loyalty makes you appealing as a destination and I think that's important and hard to put a dollar figure on. Hawks have shown loyalty to the core. You could argue Lake but he was on the verge. The way they embraced Ratten after the GF. On the other hand there's the Cats. They all showed loyalty to take pay cuts to secure players and what do they do in return - cut players before their careers are over. Chapman, Kelly, Stokes... all this conjecture over Bartel. If they were gonna sign him they would have signed him and hes not happy with the terms. You can argue they are in a preliminary and the flags they have won which is true but I think long term they won't be a destination club especially with a lot of big contract players they will see talent looking elsewhere to secure the dollars they deserve to be on. Carlton feels like a home. Hawthorn feels like a home. Geelong now feels like guns for hire and it shows in the way they show up for big games but drop easy ones.

Last edited:
Gibbs will never get traded. Not least of which the message that is shown in regards to loyalty. I don't think we want to be seen as a team that discards or doesn't reciprocate loyalty. Just my observation looking in. Loyalty makes you appealing as a destination and I think that's important and hard to put a dollar figure on. Hawks have shown loyalty to the core. You could argue Lake but he was on the verge. The way they embraced Ratten after the GF. On the other hand there's the Cats. They all showed loyalty to take pay cuts to secure players and what do they do in return - cut players before their careers are over. Chapman, Kelly, Stokes... all this conjecture over Bartel. If they were gonna sign him they would have signed him and hes not happy with the terms. You can argue they are in a preliminary and the flags they have won which is true but I think long term they won't be a destination club especially with a lot of big contract players they will see talent looking elsewhere to secure the dollars they deserve to be on. Carlton feels like a home. Hawthorn feels like a home. Geelong now feels like guns for hire and it shows in the way they show up for big games but drop easy ones.

4 highly rated players wanted to go to Geelong last year...

Loyalty has been lost in the modern game with the introduction of FA, players are going wherever they want and even without FA, they are nominating clubs and getting trades done that way.

Not to say it doesn't exist, but I highly doubt trading Gibbs will destroy all sense of loyalty. Every club needs to make tough calls and there's no way you can keep making players happy. If we trade Gibbs and pick up an early DP for him to get a gun kid who plays 10+ years and helps contribute to a flag, the players and supporters will be very forgiving of the Carlton football club. In fact, conversely, it can be seen as a bold move and a sign of direction that the club is heading which instills confidence among the supporters and playing group.

There's pros and cons to all trades but if trading Gibbs for a top 10 pick gives us even only a slight edge, we need to take it. It's mainly about where we see the club in the next 4-5 years. Will Gibbs keep his form in his early 30's? It's doubtful. If he isn't going to be around or playing at a high level when we contend for our next shot at a flag then trading him is the logical thing to do.

You don't want to trade anyone of value. Not Gibbs, not Touhy. But you want the club to rebuild properly. Where are the draft picks going to come from? Maybe Santa can deliver some presents...
Mate, its the same thing on here year after year, lets trade Gibbs. Gibbs is shite, trade him while he's still worth something. Getting a little long in the tooth now me thinks.

Personally, no I don't want to trade Touhy I quite like him in a navy blue jumper, but as I've said on numerous occasions, I can understand why people would.
You never know what the jolly fat man in the red suit can do, maybe he will give us Boomer??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, its the same thing on here year after year, lets trade Gibbs. Gibbs is shite, trade him while he's still worth something. Getting a little long in the tooth now me thinks.

Personally, no I don't want to trade Touhy I quite like him in a navy blue jumper, but as I've said on numerous occasions, I can understand why people would.
You never know what the jolly fat man in the red suit can do, maybe he will give us Boomer??

Who said Gibbs is s**t? There have been some logical reasons regarding trading him. It's highly unlikely to happen but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Why would anyone want Boomer? He may kick a few more goals but for what? 1-2 years? Then he leaves a hole in the side again. No thanks Santa.

You need to go back a few years Ace.

You shouldn't let what was being said a few years ago still get to you now. Clearly he's not a s**t player.

Mate, taking the piss.

Yeah I figured, but there has been quite a bit of talk on here lately with people saying he would be a good pickup. I Just don't see where they're coming from.

Why would he leave to be depth somewhere when the reason he would be leaving is because he wants to play senior footy?

Pickett has improved his endurance to go with his speed. He attended last month's national combine knowing he had to prove his running capabilities, and recorded a 14.4 beep test and 11:07 three-kilometre time trial.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-20/meet-jarrod-pickett

But we will not be getting Patton and it's highly unlikely that the club will tell Gibbs to pack his bags. The only way we're trading him is if he is offered a better deal elsewhere and he decides to take it or SOS and BB have a word to him and let him know that they intend to trade him to boost our rebuild.

Going back to pick #23, as I said, personally I'd rather we keep it and use it in the draft. With the depth this year, we may pick up a high quality kid still. Battle to me only seems to stand out because there aren't many quality KPFs in this draft. Kerr is passionate about the club but pick #41 is probably too late for him and #23 a bit too early imo. I think we'd need a pick in the 30's if we're going to pick up Kerr. But if a guy like Clarke is still available at pick #23 I'd be very happy with picking him up.

Wow I suggested trading Gibbs ages ago and was accused of being a troll lol, ever since I've seen heaps of people suggesting the same thing.

Wow I suggested trading Gibbs ages ago and was accused of being a troll lol, ever since I've seen heaps of people suggesting the same thing.

It has been a good three years that people have been spruiking a Gibbs sell-off.
It hasn't happened and if we do start moving up the ladder, it's going to be ever harder for Gibbs to move given he is contracted until 2019.

Things may change but for now Gibbs does not want to move.......no matter how many times we type it on here. :)

Okay, this may just be an oversight but Trigg very clearly said in the Bartlett interview that Carlton would not be looking to use their first pick (#5) on Marchbank (and Co. I assume). Yet when the article is written up by Carlton media on Carlton's website there is no mention of this at all. I'm wondering why, because this is pretty big news for members and if they really wanted to make the point wouldn't they have included it in the article as well?

I might be reading too much into this but it just seems a little odd.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-09-21/tuohy-offered-three-years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back