AFL Club
Carlton
I'll give it a go
Trade in: Marchbank + Pickett, Corr, Stewart
Trade out: 23 (or whatever we get for Touhy) and 2nd round next year

We'll take some of the burden off GWS
GWS players get more opportunity at our club

I'll be wrapped with that - then we draft mids mids and more mids
Do we really need more gws list cloggers??

TheRedPill

All Australian
Jun 24, 2005
here
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
A football team
Can we stop the speculation about next year's first already? Trading away a future 1st is incredibly stupid if you are a struggling team which is likely to get worse next year (two steps back, ten steps forward).

SOS is not dumb, and he will not trade away what is almost certainly a top 3 pick next year. This is validated even further by the rumours from our quality sources that he is cooking something big up for next year.

Do we really need more gws list cloggers??

If they improve us, absolutely yes. GWS have an unbelievable amount of talent on their list at the moment and if we can benefit from that then we should take advantage of it.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Okay, this may just be an oversight but Trigg very clearly said in the Bartlett interview that Carlton would not be looking to use their first pick (#5) on Marchbank (and Co. I assume). Yet when the article is written up by Carlton media on Carlton's website there is no mention of this at all. I'm wondering why, because this is pretty big news for members and if they really wanted to make the point wouldn't they have included it in the article as well?

I might be reading too much into this but it just seems a little odd.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-09-21/tuohy-offered-three-years

Maybe he meant marchbank on his own wont involve #5. But a package might

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Can we stop the speculation about next year's first already? Trading away a future 1st is incredibly stupid if you are a struggling team which is likely to get worse next year (two steps back, ten steps forward).

SOS is not dumb, and he will not trade away what is almost certainly a top 3 pick next year. This is validated even further by the rumours from our quality sources that he is cooking something big up for next year.
How can you call something "dumb" when you don't even know what it would be for?

TheRedPill

All Australian
Jun 24, 2005
here
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
A football team
How can you call something "dumb" when you don't even know what it would be for?
That's actually a valid question, but frankly, it's common sense.

It is all about relative value. Because to a struggling side that is bereft of talent like us, next year's 1st rounder is invaluable. Based on our needs vs everyone else's needs, there is no plausible haul of picks or talent that we could receive in return that would be more valuable to us than that pick.

Aside from Cripps & Weitering, it is our most valuable asset (yes, more valuable than pick 5 this year, as I believe we'll finish lower, and that's not even taking into account the general chatter that next year's draft is supposed to be superior at the top end than this year's). I cannot see the great man selling the future and greatly diminishing our flexibility down the track, especially when we know something is being cooked up for next year.

Alas, do not fall into the trap of undervaluing our 2017 first rounder. Classic case of hyperbolic discounting.

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
We have a pick in the top 10 this year. I dunno what the justification for keeping this years and trading the next is aside from giving one of the academy sides a leg up.
Two in the hand is not worth one in the bush depending on the species of bird.

That's actually a valid question, but frankly, it's common sense.

It is all about relative value. Because to a struggling side that is bereft of talent like us, next year's 1st rounder is invaluable. Based on our needs vs everyone else's needs, there is no plausible haul of picks or talent that we could receive in return that would be more valuable to us than that pick.

Aside from Cripps & Weitering, it is our most valuable asset (yes, more valuable than pick 5 this year, as I believe we'll finish lower, and that's not even taking into account the general chatter that next year's draft is supposed to be superior at the top end than this year's). I cannot see the great man selling the future and greatly diminishing our flexibility down the track, especially when we know something is being cooked up for next year.

Alas, do not fall into the trap of undervaluing our 2017 first rounder. Classic case of hyperbolic discounting.
If Jeremy Cameron wanted to come to a Victorian club (as an example), our first rounder next year would instantly be discussed as a starting point. Number 5 this year would suddenly seem more tradable as well.

No point ruling it out unless it is in relation to a specific trade scenario, such as Marchbank for instance. Doesn't really matter what the steak knives are, the main event is not worth our first either this year or next. Bigger fish will require better bait.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
We have a pick in the top 10 this year. I dunno what the justification for keeping this years and trading the next is aside from giving one of the academy sides a leg up.
Two in the hand is not worth one in the bush depending on the species of bird.
Because GWS would value next years twice as highly so we could get a hell of a lot more out of them for it then we could for this years.
I'm not saying me should. personally I just hope we trade next years second for Marchbank and be done with trading with GWS this year.

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
I doubt we'll be trading this year's or next year's first for Marchbank alone. The club has been down that route and it's been a total **** up.

SOS is a very shrewd operator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Need to make a few assumptions here, but assuming GC get pick 14 from Hawks for JOM, I can see us potentially trying to send Everitt and 41 to GC for pick 14 and using that to secure Marchbank and maybe another GWS player. This would rate Everitt at about pick 25-27 by my rough calculations. Or Everitt and Graham for pick 14. This would rate them both between 30-36.
I can't see the Hawks getting a 1st for Hill. Freo won't give up pick 3 and GC already have their 2nd rounder, so Hawks will most likely have to use 14 for JOM and this fits with the post yesterday about Mitchell being told that the Hawks will struggle to get him across.

take a look at the GWS list - teams win premierships when they have stars on every line - GWS have stars in every position - what a concocted bucket of spoof

yeah but they trained really hard

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Need to make a few assumptions here, but assuming GC get pick 14 from Hawks for JOM, I can see us potentially trying to send Everitt and 41 to GC for pick 14 and using that to secure Marchbank and maybe another GWS player. This would rate Everitt at about pick 25-27 by my rough calculations. Or Everitt and Graham for pick 14. This would rate them both between 30-36.
I can't see the Hawks getting a 1st for Hill. Freo won't give up pick 3 and GC already have their 2nd rounder, so Hawks will most likely have to use 14 for JOM and this fits with the post yesterday about Mitchell being told that the Hawks will struggle to get him across.

Graham is steak-knives at best, nobody is giving up a late second rounder for him. Everitt...maybe...but I reckon he's probably closer to a mid third rounder in value to most teams.

Neither of them (in combination with eachother or a third round pick) is getting us pick 14.

Back