Recommitted Caleb Marchbank [contracted and staying at GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't played since mid 2019 and now coming off an ACL in April. He has historically been a slow healer and with the game time he has missed, definitely won't see him at senior level until the mid-season bye at the earliest.

Contracted for 2022, there were some rumours/speculation that we may buy out the final year of his contract, so its not surprising that he is on the market. I really doubt he gets an extension post 2022.

He has been constant injured between 2014-2019 as well. For me its the same as Mitch McGovern, not sure why other clubs would bother taking a gamble as these guys just can't stay fit.

It's a huge shame as he is really talented, but unfortunately I think it just isn't meant to be.

If another club wanted him, he could be traded for a token 5th round pick. I don't see an offer forthcoming though.

You obviously take the simplistic view that the clubs horrible run of injuries over the past three years is by no means a reflection on the medical and fitness team.

Gernalisations are simplism at its purist. You're talking about a specific player here with specific injuries. The notion that a player breaking his neck and rupturing an ACL on the field is a reflection on the medical and fitness team is nonsense.

Last edited:

Hasn't played since mid 2019 and now coming off an ACL in April. He has historically been a slow healer and with the game time he has missed, definitely won't see him at senior level until the mid-season bye at the earliest.

Contracted for 2022, there were some rumours/speculation that we may buy out the final year of his contract, so its not surprising that he is on the market. I really doubt he gets an extension post 2022.

He has been constant injured between 2014-2019 as well. For me its the same as Mitch McGovern, not sure why other clubs would bother taking a gamble as these guys just can't stay fit.

It's a huge shame as he is really talented, but unfortunately I think it just isn't meant to be.

If another club wanted him, he could be traded for a token 5th round pick. I don't see an offer forthcoming though.
Ya gotta feel for the kid. Genuine talent.

Gernalisations are simplism at its purist. You're talking about a specific player here with specific injuries. The notion that a player breaking his neck and rupturing an ACL on the field is a reflection on the medical and fitness team is nonsense.
I wasn’t referring to those two injuries.
But if you read my post properly you would have known this.

Very talented. If we can be a little patient, he’ll pay us back but my club worries me. Hopefully the new team will get this right.
We've been super patient IMO. How many players come back from 3 years off with injury and are any good?

Players like Dan Menzel, Alex Johnson, Hugh Goddard, Anthony Morabito (and the list goes on) make it back on the field after 3+ years and become seriously limited footballers.

Leg injuries in particular, which severly impact athleticism and speed.

Caleb is supremely talented. His main strengths were always his athleticism and his reading of the play. His deficiencies were 1-on-1 defense and decision making with ball in hand.

So I just see his strengths weakening with his time out of the game and his weaknesses getting worse too.

I feel for Caleb and the injuries he has endured, but I also understand the realities of injuries - we can't expect him to be anywhere near the player he was when he got injured, which was a rising prospect - not an established star.

Long story short, returns and 'potential' diminish each year the player is out. Patience has to run out eventually.

I’ve responded in the post you have quoted me on.

There’s been issues at the club regarding injuries and recurrence of injuries for the last three years. Whether a player is rushed back too soon, not given the optimal rehab program or their injury wasn’t identified and treated correctly only the club will know. There have been numerous examples of players that have got on the park this year clearly underdone and some have injured themselves further. And some like Charlie Curnow who like Marchbank suffered tremendous bad luck with successive injuries. I believe that with multiple examples, it’s less about luck and the way these players are managed should be looked at as an underlying factor.

I would be astounded if the above was not identified and action taken as a result of the recent review.
+1

He hasn't had literally just the 2 injuries - clearly the ACL and neck are unlucky, but he missed a season with persistent bone bruising, had soft tissue issues on his return, issues before the neck.

Even before he missed 2 whole seasons, he had played 41 of 66 games in 3 seasons.

And if it was just Marchbank, you could say it was just luck. But when you have multiple players with questionable condition and reoccurring niggles, it's got to be questioned. It could still be luck. But you have to ask the question of management of Martin, Marchbank, Williams, McGovern, Oscar McDonald's back stress fracture etc. Carlton wouldn't be the only club either.

Is Marchbank still contracted ?
Marchbank would have no trade currency, too big a risk for a club to waste a draft pick or a player swap on.

Leaves the player in a Lygon Street Limbo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marchbank missed huge parts of the two seasons before he was drafted then the same again for the next two years at GWS. He just has a crap body

Its funny when we were critical of the messiah Silvagni during but especially after he left our club how we were lambasted by the Carlton fans.

He made so many terrible errors in our build (O’Rourke over Wines) just another.

Marchbank at his best is a very effective intercept marking defender. Unfortunately he is made of glass.

Its funny when we were critical of the messiah Silvagni during but especially after he left our club how we were lambasted by the Carlton fans.

He made so many terrible errors in our build (O’Rourke over Wines) just another.

Marchbank at his best is a very effective intercept marking defender. Unfortunately he is made of glass.

You're going to make bad calls when drafting for needs and trying to build a balanced list from the ground up. The fact is, by the time SOS left GWS he'd achieved just that, putting together one of the most talented and balanced lists in the league that should've won a flag before it fell apart.

The alternative scenario is of course Gold Coast.

We need a developing KP defender, s9 can’t see why we wouldn’t honor the 1 year.

He's not a key defender and he never will be.

Very talented but sadly his body is not up to the rigors of AFL football.

I'd keep him on the list in 2022 and honor the contract he has in place (ideal situation for me is we move him to the rookie list), but if he can't get his body right next year there's not much point keeping him around beyond that.

Doubt any other club would want him.

He's not a key defender and he never will be.

Very talented but sadly his body is not up to the rigors of AFL football.

I'd keep him on the list in 2022 and honor the contract he has in place (ideal situation for me is we move him to the rookie list), but if he can't get his body right next year there's not much point keeping him around beyond that.

Doubt any other club would want him.

Disagree. He is a key defender and athletic enough to play like Lever for instance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back