Traded Caleb Marchbank [traded to Carlton w/ Pickett, 2017 Rd 2 pk for Picks 45, 58 and Geelong's 2017 1st]

Remove this Banner Ad

Fine. I'll move the time period back. 2000 to 2007, so everyone has had the opportunity to play at least 200 games. But I'll focus on picks 4 & 5, about where #5 falls. The results?

4 of the 16 players drafted there didn't make 100 games. 25%. Luke Livingstone, Andrew McDouggall, Tim Walsh and Cale Morton. And of course that ignores guys who did make 100 games, but have hardly blown everyone away (e.g. Ray, J Grant, X Clarke, Polak, McClean).

So contrary to the initial assertion, a pick #5 is NOWHERE near a certain thing to be a good player. Its a risk as well. The fact some of those didn't make it due to injury just reinforces that even if the recruiter gets it right, fate can intervene.

I never once stated they would be a good player, simply they would play 100 games as apposed to being delisted in 24 months.

In any case it matters not as pick 17+ Marchbank is a downgrade on pick 5, id stick with 5 every day of the week and twice on sundays

No they wouldn't.

Why would any club cough up a first rounder for players like Kennedy and Pickett?

which kennedy? the half back flanker with the blonde hair? i would give up pick 18 for him.

pickett hell yeah if i'm wce i would do it. does pickett want to go to melbourne? i think not.

which kennedy? the half back flanker with the blonde hair? i would give up pick 18 for him.

pickett hell yeah if i'm wce i would do it. does pickett want to go to melbourne? i think not.

Half back flankers are a dime a dozen. You don't use first rounders to fill that position when you're a cellar dweller.

Why you'd give up a first round pick for a kid who's never played an AFL game and has had a lisfranc injury it boggles the mind.

It'll get done.

Blues looking to get another first rounder to send to GWS as part of a package deal for Marchbank.
A player with currency is likely to be traded

Pick 5 will stay with Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half back flankers are a dime a dozen. You don't use first rounders to fill that position when you're a cellar dweller.

Why you'd give up a first round pick for a kid who's never played an AFL game and has had a lisfranc injury it boggles the mind.

errr some clubs already do. zac jones comes to mind

Losing Gibbs for Marchbank seems terrible.

An established top 50 midfielder in his prime for an undersized KPD who has had 7 games in his career?
Not keen on us losing Gibbs for him at all, as you mention he has only played 7 games. 195cm now apparently, not really an undersized KPD.

This will be an interesting trade

Trading #5 for 4-5 players similar to last years #28 for the GWS4 although higher quality players is probably in Carltons best interest.

Lets not forget we probably have one of, if not the, poorest 18-25th best players.

Each Marchbank (19) , Corr (22), Stewart (22), Pickett (20) and Kennedy (24) would be best 22 come round 1 whilst still maintaining a young setup.

I never once stated they would be a good player, simply they would play 100 games as apposed to being delisted in 24 months.

In any case it matters not as pick 17+ Marchbank is a downgrade on pick 5, id stick with 5 every day of the week and twice on sundays
You didn’t say they would be a good player, you said #5 was a safe option. I was adding in that even if they do make 100 games, they’re no certainty to be of a satisfying level.

However, as you mentioned you said they would definitely make 100 games – which I just debunked. It’s actually reasonably likely they won’t. Conceding the point would be appropriate.

As to whether you would do the deal, that’s obviously a matter of your personal preference.

Trading #5 for 4-5 players similar to last years #28 for the GWS4 although higher quality players is probably in Carltons best interest.

Lets not forget we probably have one of, if not the, poorest 18-25th best players.

Each Marchbank (19) , Corr (22), Stewart (22), Pickett (20) and Kennedy (24) would be best 22 come round 1 whilst still maintaining a young setup.
No doubt it would improve the best 22 if players like Armfield, Sumner, Thomas and White were not regulars but do any of those names you have coming in have star level potential?

If we were going to trade pick 5 I would rather trade for a star in the making like Shiel or Kelly, not picking up a bunch of NEAFL players

No doubt it would improve the best 22 if players like Armfield, Sumner, Thomas and White were not regulars but do any of those names you have coming in have star level potential?

If we were going to trade pick 5 I would rather trade for a star in the making like Shiel or Kelly, not picking up a bunch of NEAFL players
So when are you sending us pick five to get this deal over and done with? Any new updates of this trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back