Traded Caleb Marchbank [traded to Carlton w/ Pickett, 2017 Rd 2 pk for Picks 45, 58 and Geelong's 2017 1st]

Remove this Banner Ad

Because SoS understands what we want, which is clearing cap room on players that arent necessarily what we hoped for, and that this can be turned into a better price in terms of draft picks.

Its not just getting the best possible price for a Marchbank or a Steele - its also making sure the Tomlinsons and Stewarts get looked after.
If that's the case are Carlton going to register a team in the NEAFL also? Because they are going to resemble GWSs magoos in a year or two if they aren't careful! o_O

Not sure how a second year player who is unluckily getting different types of injuries, unlike a guy who pings his hammy at any thought of a sprint, is losing so much value by the week that he should just be given away. :huh:

I'm not sure if you're referring to Nathan Freeman? Anyway, let's compare him with Marchbank for shits & giggles. I'll also add O'Rourke seeing as he also had plenty of injuries.

Freeman pick 10, 0 games, traded for pick 27 (based on current ladder position).

O'Rourke pick 2, 11 games, traded for pick 19.

Marchbank pick 6, 7 games, traded for ???

(Games played were at the time of the trade).

No way is Marchbank worth pick 10 like what's being bandied about. Closer to pick 20.

I'm not sure if you're referring to Nathan Freeman? Anyway, let's compare him with Marchbank for shits & giggles. I'll also add O'Rourke seeing as he also had plenty of injuries.

Freeman pick 10, 0 games, traded for pick 27 (based on current ladder position).

No way is Marchbank worth pick 10 like what's being bandied about. Closer to pick 20.

One didn't play a game, one played 11 uninspiring games (mostly at the back end of the season when all the other mids had been sent for surgery) and the other started his second season in the best 22 (as Key defender) before injury hit.

Marchbanks value is higher than the other 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon a pick around 15 is about right for him. He went higher in the draft then most expected, no doubt he's shown some good signs but he's still only managed the 7 games.

Also key defenders dont have the 'premium' added to them like key forwards do simply for being key forwards...and he's had some injury concerns this year.

One didn't play a game, one played 11 uninspiring games (mostly at the back end of the season when all the other mids had been sent for surgery) and the other started his second season in the best 22 (as Key defender) before injury hit.

Marchbanks value is higher than the other 2

Mate GWS don't need to waste everyone's time haggling over a couple of draft spots
You guys have more first round picks in your reserves than Brisbane have in there team

Because SoS understands what we want, which is clearing cap room on players that arent necessarily what we hoped for, and that this can be turned into a better price in terms of draft picks.

Its not just getting the best possible price for a Marchbank or a Steele - its also making sure the Tomlinsons and Stewarts get looked after.
Just curious mate what do u think the individual value of Tomlinson and Steele would be

Saints currently have 9 and 45. How are you getting it?
When did I say he was heading to the Saints? I was just stating what I thought his worth was.

If he did end up wanting to come to us we would probably have to use our first with something else coming back you'd think. Although it would more likely involve a deal with next years first if GWS were to keep all 3 first rounders this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon a pick around 15 is about right for him. He went higher in the draft then most expected, no doubt he's shown some good signs but he's still only managed the 7 games.

He's a first rounder but competition will bring him into top 10 which wouldn't be too much of a reach as we love him and he's required although out of contract.

Whoever gets him next year is getting an absolute jet.

Just curious mate what do u think the individual value of Tomlinson and Steele would be

I dont rate Tomlinson - he's built like Tarzan and plays like Jane. If we got a swap of third-rounds picks and him off our cap, great.

Steele, on the other hand, is about as good as you'd expect for a top ten mid after a couple of years. If we got offered pick 5 for him, and he re-signed with us, Id count it as a win. I cant say anything more about him, except 'He looks like he belongs in the GWS midfield'.

Im just scared we screw up the way the Doggies did, by lowballing a good young mid who then becomes a champion elsewhere.

Mate GWS don't need to waste everyone's time haggling over a couple of draft spots
You guys have more first round picks in your reserves than Brisbane have in there team

You are kidding aren't you? The Giants hierarchy getting the best deal for the club is definitely not wasted time.

I dont rate Tomlinson - he's built like Tarzan and plays like Jane. If we got a swap of third-rounds picks and him off our cap, great.

Steele, on the other hand, is about as good as you'd expect for a top ten mid after a couple of years. If we got offered pick 5 for him, and he re-signed with us, Id count it as a win. I cant say anything more about him, except 'He looks like he belongs in the GWS midfield'.

Im just scared we screw up the way the Doggies did, by lowballing a good young mid who then becomes a champion elsewhere.

If you are referring to Ward, did the Doggies low ball him? I thought they just couldn't match GWS which isn't low balling.

Would Essendon second round be enough? Pick 19 or 20
If we lose Hurley march-bank would have a real opportunity to establish himself.
We would also have likely additional picks from hibberd and Hurley

Would Essendon second round be enough? Pick 19 or 20
If we lose Hurley march-bank would have a real opportunity to establish himself.
We would also have likely additional picks from hibberd and Hurley

Doubt it, others will bid higher.

However if he insists Bombers that would change everything.

Hopefully if he does go he agrees to go to any VIC team and we can get best deal.

If you are referring to Ward, did the Doggies low ball him? I thought they just couldn't match GWS which isn't low balling.

No. They lowballed him earlier, declining a long enough contract extention in 2009.

This meant he was vulnerable for the Giants to grab.

Lol good luck with that, I'm sure you'll get him for that

Will be at North next year.

Sounds like he'll need some kind of timeshare schedule, alternating his time between Carlton, North and St Kilda at a minimum.

He's a first rounder but competition will bring him into top 10 which wouldn't be too much of a reach as we love him and he's required although out of contract.
Doubt it, others will bid higher.

However if he insists Bombers that would change everything.

Hopefully if he does go he agrees to go to any VIC team and we can get best deal.
Is that likely to happen?

More likely, he'll nominate a club, precluding any bidding war.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back