Player Watch #35 Caleb Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Did a few things that looked like he belonged with respect to how he approached contested situations. As a 19yo on the G against more senior players like McIntosh he used his body to win the ball a few times and got it moving for us, encouraging performance without being extraordinary.

Yeah, I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. He was beaten in a sprint to a loose ball by Kamdyn McIntosh.

Don't want to judge him too harshly though, his effort was pretty good.

Obviously need to see more before we can say he is or isn't AFL standard.

How does he compare with Corey Warner? Who has the brighter future based on the evidence available so far? Or just pointless to say based on so little evidence?

Corey is quicker, and seems to be more visible with his impact. But I can see Mitchell playing a role with discipline. Caleb seems to have footy smarts (I offer that opinion tentatively) and seems to be better at getting the pill. Caleb also worked hard and seemed still to have a good tank.

There's not a lot between them but Corey has had (a few) more opportunities but not yet really made an impact so I'm leaning slightly towards Mitchell.

Last edited:
How does he compare with Corey Warner? Who has the brighter future based on the evidence available so far? Or just pointless to say based on so little evidence?

Corey is quicker, and seems to be more visible with his impact. But I can see Mitchell playing a role with discipline. Caleb seems to have footy (I offer that opinion tentatively) and seems to be better at getting the pill. Caleb also worked hard and seemed still to have a good tank.

There's not a lot between them but Corey has had (a few) more opportunities but not yet really made an impact so I'm leaning slightly towards Mitchell.

The ultimate nil all draw there at this stage. Personally not sure either make it, but I do like Mitchell and we did reward form, what I didn't love is keeping the other one in the team. Feel Mitchell is 2 years away from having the tank.

Corey is quicker, and seems to be more visible with his impact. But I can see Mitchell playing a role with discipline. Caleb seems to have footy (I offer that opinion tentatively) and seems to be better at getting the pill. Caleb also worked hard and seemed still to have a good tank.

Too early to tell but it's promising that the coaches think it's worthwhile exposing both to senior footy. Caleb's game will have given him plenty to work on.

Too early to tell but it's promising that the coaches think it's worthwhile exposing both to senior footy. Caleb's game will have given him plenty to work on.

Actually wouldn't be against Caleb staying in this week, drop Corey back to the 2's. WCE should be an easier game for him to get amongst it.

Corey is quicker, and seems to be more visible with his impact. But I can see Mitchell playing a role with discipline. Caleb seems to have footy smarts (I offer that opinion tentatively) and seems to be better at getting the pill. Caleb also worked hard and seemed still to have a good tank.

The problem I see with Mitchell is that he's slow.
Certainly got the tank and a decent football brain, but the best games I've seen from him in the reserves have been when he's inside.
I think we have better options on the wing.

I've always though that Corey would make a good small forward.
Quick, hard and can work up and back.
Been a bit fumbly so far this season, but could with a bit more luck have 5 goals on the board in his two games, so he can certainly hit the scoreboard.

It may come down to which player finds his right position and a spot opens up in that position in the firsts.

I more inclined to lean towards Corey, as he has a few more tools and a small pressure forward is likely to be more of a need than a slow wingman.
But as you say, a small sample size.

My view: Corey has speed & likely a higher ceiling

BUT

At the moment, Mitchell gets the ball, Corey doesn’t.

And that matters. A lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back