Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

How so?

That was some 3D chess move on our part delisting him in October then trialling Markov and bumping him, foreseeing the injury to Dean, then snatching him from the cesspit at Princes Park at the last minute.

Maybe Uri Geller was brought in as a consultant?
True but as far as I am aware there was no rule against bringing him back once Dean went down

At anywhere else but Collingwood He might have got another year, but spots were tight last year as they are going to be again this year. Liked the look of him in his first year. Looks a creative running type. Good luck to him and I’m glad he’s landed at a quality club.
He seems like a good bloke, and dedicated to getting better and working hard.

However, I don’t think he’s suited to Fly’s game style. It’s simply a case of being recruited under the previous regime, and the attributes that they valued, vs. what Fly is trying to achieve and what that style of play demands.

There is an interesting conversation to be had about what types of players we covet, and how that feeds into an inefficient market. We currently appear to value pace more than most, overlap run and kicking ability. Hence we can add players like Frampton and Markov for next to nothing and they can play every week for us. Obviously someone of Nick D’s abilities is highly valuable to all clubs… but zigging where others are zagging in terms of game plan can mean you have the capacity to buy more with your draft capital, because the demand isn’t there. The flip side of that conversation is Grundy; we no longer really valued what his strengths were.

Size is only one element. He also lacked any intent toward contested footy. That isn't a derivative of size, more so mindset.

I don’t think we cared too much about contested footy for his role, but he didn’t provide any real overlap run or inclination towards taking the game on. Not quite Mayne levels of slow, conservative ball movement but certainly the antithesis of what Fly has us doing as a whole.

Good kid and a solid player............hope he does well at the Dogs.
Agree, played some decent games with us early on but was a victim of too many of the same types ahead of him.

I don't like the narrative of some on here though that he was an awful kick, awful decision maker etc, that's just crap if anything he was too slow in moving the ball on and lacked a bit of physicality but was and is still a decent player to have on your list.

He seems like a good bloke, and dedicated to getting better and working hard.

However, I don’t think he’s suited to Fly’s game style. It’s simply a case of being recruited under the previous regime, and the attributes that they valued, vs. what Fly is trying to achieve and what that style of play demands.

There is an interesting conversation to be had about what types of players we covet, and how that feeds into an inefficient market. We currently appear to value pace more than most, overlap run and kicking ability. Hence we can add players like Frampton and Markov for next to nothing and they can play every week for us. Obviously someone of Nick D’s abilities is highly valuable to all clubs… but zigging where others are zagging in terms of game plan can mean you have the capacity to buy more with your draft capital, because the demand isn’t there. The flip side of that conversation is Grundy; we no longer really valued what his strengths were.
Drafting the 20m sprint winners of the last 3 combines speaks volumes.

I am surprised a skilful side like the Doggies picked him up.
Maybe they’ve been teaching his right foot isn’t just for balance.
Good luck to him though.

I am surprised a skilful side like the Doggies picked him up.
Maybe they’ve been teaching his right foot isn’t just for balance.
Good luck to him though.
So they have picked both Rantall and Poulter and Poulter gets back onto a list,good on him we could of kept him if we wanted but good for him to get a 2nd chance.

Caleb Poulter has actually playing well for our VFL team hopefully he makes the most of his second chance
Has a tendency to kick of the instep resulting in the occasional grubber and decision making was sometimes questionable. His follow up work looked good in his pre-draft highlights, not sure if gameplan stifled it as he didn't really show much of it at VFL level.

Seemed like a good kid though so hope he does well.

Far out he is still only 20, and the club thought this kid was worth pick 30, so I'm glad he got a shot because his delisting did feel a bit premature.

Would be fascinated to hear Hine's thoughts on him. I can imagine from a recruiters perspective to do so much work and spend decent draft value on a kid, and then see them delisted a couple of years later would be jarring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far out he is still only 20, and the club thought this kid was worth pick 30, so I'm glad he got a shot because his delisting did feel a bit premature.

Would be fascinated to hear Hine's thoughts on him. I can imagine from a recruiters perspective to do so much work and spend decent draft value on a kid, and then see them delisted a couple of years later would be jarring.

Yep . Lots of overanalysing here, no skill no heart no pace doesn’t suit the game plan etc etc etc.....maybe the critics are right .....

Or maybe is he had a slight dose of second year blues at a club that had a season out of the box.

Maybe he chose the wrong club and the wrong year to underperform slightly compared to his first. Just unlucky to not be given the opportunity to work on his weaknesses at such a young age.

Rapt for him that he got a second chance.

Loved Poults.

The word for the day is insouciance. We'll put it in a sentence: 'Caleb Poulter's football was characterised by insouciance'.

Or, 'Caleb Poulter is a handsome and likable young bloke, whose insouciant manner won him fans and detractors'.

I was a fan. Hope he goes well.

Handsome young bugger. Moustache is the best in football history.
Makes Phil Carmans mo look average.
A character to boot.
Now that's a big statement, FJ!! If you'd just said "in the AFL era" you might have been closer to the mark.
1685621377342.png
The Markov moustache is magnificent, and it might be the best seen in recent years. But here's Eddie Drohan (a Premiership player with both Collingwood and Fitzroy):
1685621265874.png
I'd say Eddie wins comfortably, at least when it comes to ranking Collingwood's finest ever!

Now that's a big statement, FJ!! If you'd just said "in the AFL era" you might have been closer to the mark.
View attachment 1702196
The Markov moustache is magnificent, and it might be the best seen in recent years. But here's Eddie Drohan (a Premiership player with both Collingwood and Fitzroy):
View attachment 1702195
I'd say Eddie wins comfortably, at least when it comes to ranking Collingwood's finest ever!
David Cloke didn’t do too badly in this division either

Last edited:
Wish we used our VFL team like that.
Our VFL team sucks.

I mean we have a couple of good names. Tardew, Hustwaite, Jetta but that's about it. The rest are nothing to write home about. We're sitting near the bottom despite having great AFL talent run around. What is the purpose of having a VFL team if we're not looking to develop AFL talent? We should be using our size to our advantage and focusing on building success.

Last edited:
How so?

That was some 3D chess move on our part delisting him in October then trialling Markov and bumping him, foreseeing the injury to Dean, then snatching him from the cesspit at Princes Park at the last minute.

Maybe Uri Geller was brought in as a consultant?

Gold!

Although to be fair, regarding Dean, we didn’t need URI Geller. Stevie Wonder could have seen that coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back