Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Around the same height and weight as Langdon and Howe who both played that role in 2018. At the moment our defensive CHB options concede goals and don’t offer anything the other way and I think if we’re gonna play Moore forward then that’s the best way to replace his intercepting and rebound. I think it will work out better than the 2018 backline since our smalls are better and Roughead holds down the fullback spot better than Goldsack.

They have, but it was never by choice, always by necessity. Not sure why we'd make that move by choice when we have developing KPD's of similar experience available.

I'm happy to see Keane given time to develop. I think he'll start to show more flash and dare as he gains experience. The conceding of goals is more appropriately attributable to a failing of the team defence. No defender will hold up if his opponent is given continued quality supply. Hopefully we get Howe back this week to offer him greater support.

Especially in a game where he'd be competing against Larkey and Campbell as the opposition tall forwards.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
They have, but it was never by choice, always by necessity. Not sure why we'd make that move by choice when we have developing KPD's of similar experience available.

I'm happy to see Keane given time to develop. I think he'll start to show more flash and dare as he gains experience. The conceding of goals is more appropriately attributable to a failing of the team defence. No defender will hold up if his opponent is given continued quality supply. Hopefully we get Howe back this week to offer him greater support.

Especially in a game where he'd be competing against Larkey and Campbell as the opposition tall forwards.
I know they made that choice out of necessity but it had its advantages and I’d like to see the team try it again.

I agree on the team defence thing and I think that would improve if we had more capable interceptors down back.

Been Quite Impressive in his 1st 2 Games

Not Getting Big Numbers with Touches but he is Clean with the Ball, Got some Good Handballs out under Pressure and Uses the Ball well by Foot.

Keep Playing Him

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rock star mullet

Attachments

• 1620524152403.png
    1620524152403.png
    154 KB · Views: 43

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE SALT

Flagpies 2021
Aug 5, 2018
Leopold 3224
AFL Club
Collingwood
Caleb "The Steal" Poulter

POSITION: Midfielder/Forward

[4:09 mark] of Sports Sunday segment yesterday, Poults in North game, a glimpse of class Pies fans
💯
💥
👌

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Poulter is a prototypical tall midfielder with a good inside/outside mix, who is also capable of impacting up forward.” – Eli Duxson
Woodville-West Torrens and Henley High prospect, Caleb Poulter is most often utilised as midfielder who provides grunt on the inside, but also threatens to open games up with his skills on the outer.

At 192cm and 79kg, he has shown he can be a formidable target either around the ground or in the forward line, which serves as another showing of his versatility. He also spent some time on the wing, further displaying his neat blend of inside and outside attributes.

After steadily increasing his draft stocks since representing South Australia at Under 16 level in 2019, he burst into the 2020 season with an impressive 34 disposals, one goal, 10 tackles, seven clearances, seven marks, and six inside 50s in Round 1 of the SANFL Under 18s.

Since then, he not only received opposition attention, but also caught the eye of recruiters en route to bolting into first round contention. His outstanding performance in the South Australian Under 18 All-Stars fixture only consolidated such status.

STRENGTHS:
Tackling
Penetrating kick
Presence/impact
Clean hands/disposal
Scoreboard impact
Overhead marking
Versatility

Poulter’s ability to damage on the inside and outside is indicative of his strengths. His tackling and clearance work allows him to get first hands on the ball, distribute it, or even go himself. His penetrating left boot is also a handy feature of his game as he has found himself linking his side between the arcs and sending them forward on many occasions. When forward, he is an awkward matchup as he is too tall for a small or medium defender, but not quite the focal point of an attack either.

He is very strong overhead, credit to a sizeable vertical leap, and finds space quite easily on the lead, but is just damaging when the ball hits the ground.Part of Poulter’s terrific ability to accumulate is the various ways in which he can find the ball. He covers plenty of ground when utilised through the middle, able to float up and back to mark uncontested, or provide a target with his aerial prowess.

Alternatively, he is incredibly clean with at ground level and so efficient in heavy traffic, able to win the ground balls and quickly release by hand to teammates in space. As an overall package, Poulter has an arsenal of weapons difficult to match and could be the next tall midfielder to take the game by storm once he hits the elite level.

Source: https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/caleb-poulter/

Collingwood Magpies: Caleb Poulter
Drafted with the 30th pick by Collingwood in the 2020 AFL Draft, the big-bodied midfielder could be the long-term replacement for Adam Treloar. He provides grunt and presence, as well as a good tackle on the inside. On the outside, he possesses very clean kicking and an ability to hit the scoreboard.

Adam Treloar

Can Caleb Poulter replace what Adam Treloar brought to the Pies? (Photo by Adam Trafford/AFL Media/Getty Images)

With the departures of Treloar and Tom Phillips, as well as the ageing nature of midfield mainstays like Scott Pendlebury and Steel Sidebottom, Poulter should look to get valuable match experience under his belt before making a profound and sustained bid to start in that midfield for 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back