Call for Respect on the Bigfooty Bulldog Board for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Majak Daw incident has again highlighted to me that personal attacks on players on social media are not on. In recent years we have our own players Tom Boyd and Travis Cloke with mental health issues.

Bigfooty is a form of social media and can be subject to keyboard warriors who go to far on players especially after a loss. Yes we have mods to assist with this but I put my hand up for being to critical on players after a loss.

We already have one bulldog poster who is super critical of our players example his hate of Lin Jong. I for one will being keeping my comments after a loss objective and I will refrain from personal attacks on players abilities. That does not include suggesting players should be dropped after a poor performances but I will not be making degrading comments on a players abilities.

Last edited:
The Majak Daw incident has again highlighted to me that that personal attacks on players on social media are not on. In recent years we have our own players Tom Boyd and Travis Cloak with mental health issues.

Bigfooty is a form of social media and can be subject to keyboard warriors who go to far on players especially after a loss. Yes we have mods to assist with this but I put my hand up for being to critical on players after a loss.

We already have one bulldog poster who is super critical of our players example his hate of Lin Jong. I for one will being keeping my comments after a loss objective and I will refrain from personal attacks on players abilities. That does not include suggesting players should be dropped after a poor performances but I will not be making degrading comments on a players abilities.
Travis Cloke is very upset that you spelled his name wrong.

Guys this post is about respect to our players lets not turn it into a barney. I have owned up to going to far after a loss on some our players and will not be doing it again.

Maybe the word hate was a bit strong if so I apologise. Hope the poster can re -assess the tone of the negative comments as well after all we all mad doggies fans and want the best for our players on and off the field.

The Majak Daw incident has again highlighted to me that that personal attacks on players on social media are not on. In recent years we have our own players Tom Boyd and Travis Cloke with mental health issues.

Last edited:
Genie. Bottle.

3_Gc5O.gif

I agree with this but can I still bag that f##*ing pr1ck from GWS that karate kicked Dahlhaus in the head?
That's the only player I want to hang sh1t on........ oh... and Jeremy Cameron

May as well extend it to the whole club, don't discriminate against the the rest of them!

Except for our future overlord Josh Kelly, he's a top bloke. Nick Haynes goes alright though, will let him off as long as he doesn't let his hair grow too long. As for the rest of them, #%*!&#( #*#(@!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez trying to get some consensus on this board is impossible. Thank you Optimistic Dog for trying. I know I get very tribal when opposition supporters comment on the club/players which has got me in to trouble in the past.

What’s missing is respect, respect for other posters, respect in the way you post, and respect towards our players. Just because we don’t see your face, doesn’t give you the right to write unfettered comments.

I rarely post anymore because of the lack of respect, some of the comments on here are so crass that I assume it’s to get a reaction rather than belief, or maybe I just hope that’s the case. Posters seem to thrive on nitpicking, and attacking other posters, then play the injured victim when called on their behaviour.

We have very few female posters now, most of them have gone, so what does that say about this board’s culture? Have a look on other boards, there are a lot of female mods or regular posters, who contribute regularly.

Everyone has mental health, maintaining good mental health is so important, too many of our players have been subjected to poor mental health and it seems to be correlating with the rise of social media.

Just remember our players don’t go out there to mess things up, they do the best they can. There is a broad range of abilities and talent, it’s why we have top draft picks down to rookies. Our job is supporters, to support the club, and it’s players. Leave the abuse to the opposition.

Finally for those of you who are parents, do you find a constant stream of negativity inspires your kids to do better, or do you find some positive reinforcement helps your kids to face and overcome adversity.

Geez trying to get some consensus on this board is impossible. Thank you Optimistic Dog for trying. I know I get very tribal when opposition supporters comment on the club/players which has got me in to trouble in the past.

What’s missing is respect, respect for other posters, respect in the way you post, and respect towards our players. Just because we don’t see your face, doesn’t give you the right to write unfettered comments.

I rarely post anymore because of the lack of respect, some of the comments on here are so crass that I assume it’s to get a reaction rather than belief, or maybe I just hope that’s the case. Posters seem to thrive on nitpicking, and attacking other posters, then play the injured victim when called on their behaviour.

We have very few female posters now, most of them have gone, so what does that say about this board’s culture? Have a look on other boards, there are a lot of female mods or regular posters, who contribute regularly.

Everyone has mental health, maintaining good mental health is so important, too many of our players have been subjected to poor mental health and it seems to be correlating with the rise of social media.

Just remember our players don’t go out there to mess things up, they do the best they can. There is a broad range of abilities and talent, it’s why we have top draft picks down to rookies. Our job is supporters, to support the club, and it’s players. Leave the abuse to the opposition.

Finally for those of you who are parents, do you find a constant stream of negativity inspires your kids to do better, or do you find some positive reinforcement helps your kids to face and overcome adversity.

Understand where your coming from Drb , but this is an opinion based forum.
Some of my earlier posts after joining questioned the value of one of our most loved players , and despite all attempts to explain why I had this veiw , which had nothing to do with effort , commitment ,
and the outstanding quality of his personality , other posters just had to be outraged .
Questioning his footballing abilities apparently questions all those other qualities.
So are we saying don't be critical of players abilities in case we upset the said player and or other posters ?
I fully understand no one should be subjected to personal attack , but we don't live in an Utopia and never will.
By the way looking now and again at other forums , don't see too much different.

Respect is earnt and shouldn’t be given freely.

A lot here have zero respect for me and in their opinions I haven’t earnt it, that’s fine with me I do not require respect from people I don’t know or care about and I’m sure that is vice versa for others with me. Of having my respect won’t keep Norm and others awake at night I’m sure.

But what I won’t do is find a culturally aware position on my lunchbreak and plagiarise it as my own in an attempt to look like im grounded and self aware. And then not realise that by adding my own twist I’ve proven it’s simply lip service.

What’s happening in Majak Daws life is awful and I’m sure unfortunately in today’s world we have all been touched by similar issues with friends and family. But I personally won’t tag along in a world where honest opinion(right and wrong)and criticism is neutered.

How true you are.

Couldn't agree more with this. There are some good posters on here, some good info and it's a good place for football talk when you can find it, but god it wears you down reading all the rest of the obnoxious-to-aggressive crap that goes on, and the apparently sanctioned sexist crap that for some reason is also allowed on here (see the media thread atm - what the hell is that?), and it doesn't exactly inspire a person to contribute. Even with a sizable ignore list, it's a strain. I find myself going to oppo boards more than the bulldogs board because it's honestly a better experience.

With a smaller fanbase I think there's much more scope for a few personalities to disproportionately set the tone of a board, and it's just a shame that we've ended up with the ones we have. I don't really see it being fixed tbh, and I probably won't ever become a regular poster, but I just wanted to add my voice to this. Just because people don't post doesn't mean they're not reading. I don't post, but I read, and because of what I read, I really really don't feel like posting. And on it goes.

I think a new rule needs to be installed

If any poster deliberately lies or insinuates that another poster said something they did not which includes twisting words and/or using a single sentence out of a conversation they should receive an infraction.

Sad attempts to get others banned simply because they don’t like them is just that.... sad.

Some of the things I have been portrayed as saying are absolute lies and I’ve seen the same done to immortal, scrap and others.

I’m more than happy to live under this rule and take DOUBLE infractions for any breaking of it on my behalf.

Mods?

We are living in a world where PC has gone mad. I don’t buy into it. I’m old. I don’t have to. BUT.... there is a difference between PC pedants and old fashioned low life insults from keyboard heroes. To the latter..... take a good hard look at yourself. Do you really feel great because you can slag off at someone as an anonymous troll ? Do you really believe folks are impressed by your keyboard heroics ? Do you think for a moment the target of your vitriol will change because of your jibes ? If you answered yes to any of those Q’s, you are the one that really needs the help, not your target. And to the PC pedants. In the history of the world, there has always been, and will always remain, fat and skinny, rich and poor, black and white, christians and muslims, intelligent and stupid, etc etc. Being overly PC won’t change the world. Being tolerant and aware of the variants will.

And the world will live as one.

Merry Christmas.

We are living in a world where PC has gone mad. I don’t buy into it. I’m old. I don’t have to. BUT.... there is a difference between PC pedants and old fashioned low life insults from keyboard heroes. To the latter..... take a good hard look at yourself. Do you really feel great because you can slag off at someone as an anonymous troll ? Do you really believe folks are impressed by your keyboard heroics ? Do you think for a moment the target of your vitriol will change because of your jibes ? If you answered yes to any of those Q’s, you are the one that really needs the help, not your target. And to the PC pedants. In the history of the world, there has always been, and will always remain, fat and skinny, rich and poor, black and white, christians and muslims, intelligent and stupid, etc etc. Being overly PC won’t change the world. Being tolerant and aware of the variants will.

And the world will live as one.

Merry Christmas.

A voice of reason.:thumbsu:

Many people believe it's a virtue to stick to an expressed opinion, however unpopular, or whether facts don't support it. They need to be open to changing their minds if the evidence stacks up. Clinging to an "opinion" doesn't make them look strong, or individual, just obstinate. I respect someone more if they say "I used to think X but now I see that Y is the case."

Agree with TheFool (what does that make me? joke) about the over-the-top sexist posts. Isn't there a board for that, somewhere far far away? Kermit can you please clean up the thread in question?

Sometimes I'm sure people know they're being offensive and think that decency is there to be challenged, cos internet.

Understand where your coming from Drb , but this is an opinion based forum.
Some of my earlier posts after joining questioned the value of one of our most loved players , and despite all attempts to explain why I had this veiw , which had nothing to do with effort , commitment ,
and the outstanding quality of his personality , other posters just had to be outraged .
Questioning his footballing abilities apparently questions all those other qualities.
So are we saying don't be critical of players abilities in case we upset the said player and or other posters ?
I fully understand no one should be subjected to personal attack , but we don't live in an Utopia and never will.
By the way looking now and again at other forums , don't see too much different.

I agree with you KH, I know I sound a bit of a Pollyanna, but too often I hear comments like “He won’t make it, he is shite”. Rather than, “he needs to work more on his decision making and build his stamina, he is coming from further back being taken so late in the draft”.

Proof of this, is the way poster talked about JJ in his early career. Our Norm Smith medalist was written off as a hopeless case.

It really saddens me when I hear the disparaging comments about Ace Cordy, he was an extremely popular player with the club and players, and played a huge role in creating a good culture with the players. He doesn’t deserve the cracks that are made against him.

Last edited:
You can be critical of a player or coach's performance without it being personal.

If we cant have a frank discussion about what or whom is good or bad for the football team moving forward then this becomes a pretty boring place.

Not sure all the discussion is what I expected when I created this post. However on reflection it has been good to hear a lot of views and I have got a lot of likes. I may not agree with a lot of what Mattdougie has said but he has raised some reasonable points and has agreed to certain concessions with some conditions. Lets move on and if posters just have second thoughts when posting negative comments to not make them personal then that is a good result.

Example last season when discussing Collins getting a game in the seniors I think I said something like he is to slow, no skills and hopeless in hindsight what I should have said was something like I do not think his skills and form warrant selection.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back