Call for Respect on the Bigfooty Bulldog Board for 2019

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I started that, not with the intention of upsetting anyone, but as an add on to the possibility of seeing Josh Schache and Matthew
Hammelmann in the same forward line as I would have found that quite exciting. I apologise if this offended you or anyone else,
but I can assure you my swimming pool is not that shallow and I salivate over no one.

Thanks Yojimbo, for me an offhand comment I can look past but the thing is going on and on and on, and some of the posts are very tasteless, I think. I'm not offended, I just think there's a time and a place and that the bulldogs media thread is really, really not the place.

I wholeheartedly agree that people should always be respectful towards one another.

Some people won’t though and beyond calling it out initially I don’t think we should do any more than that. The OP suggested that we have mods to assist with this, and that’s what I am referring to - I don’t think that’s their or our role. I’m not worried about the atmosphere being ruined if people decide to be more considerate. I’m worried about there being an atmosphere where there is some kind of imperative to have to chase up people who aren’t worth my time or effort when I’d rather be having a friendly chat about footy with like minded supporters.

*******s should be able to be ignored. As for sexually violent or misogynistic comments (which I was not referring to in my post, but due to it’s generality I’m sure you could take from it, so agree I should perhaps have fleshed it out more). That should be banned entirely. Any instance of it. I was referring to careless criticisms of players who have mental heath issues in game day and other threads (which to my mind are unacceptable, but not in need of follow up or censorship, unlike many things which are).

As for the weather girl comments in the other thread, yes they’re very creepy! Do they cross the line? Not my place to say. Do you think they do? (This is absolutely not a loaded question, just interested to know, as I just ignored them out of hand)

I appreciate your response, I think we do mostly agree. I'm definitely not suggesting that everyone on the board has to start policing everybody else, just that when people make their own posts or decide how to respond to others, they take a moment to think about whether they're being constructive or destructive, in a way, and think of the people who'll be reading the post.

Regarding criticising players with mental health issues, I think everyone agrees football criticisms are completely fine for any player, but when it goes into the mental health territory, the thing is that though the player themself will likely never read whatever goes on here, hundreds of other people will, and being dismissive of somebody's anxiety disorder (for example) can really fall pretty hard on other people who may suffer from the same or a similar issue. Comments about someone using depression as an excuse for other problems in their life (for example) can bring out the feelings of guilt and doubt that many people with depression have about the validity of their illness. Whether or not the mods are or should be involved, people with mental illnesses can be very vulnerable to the words of others, maybe even without fully realising it themselves, and it really doesn't cost much for people to be supportive rather than dismissive about it. People might say, "Well don't come on the board then if you're so sensitive," but withdrawing from the world and your hobbies and pastimes is the opposite of psychologically healthy for anyone, let alone someone suffering a mental illness.

To answer your question about the media thread, I think at least some of those posts definitely do cross the line, and the whole digression is way off-topic, if nothing else. It doesn't affect me personally, I'm not hurt by them, but I read that thread and I think about how many women might come on this site and click on that thread and read what goes on here and hightail it out of here and not come back. Not everyone can ignore this kind of stuff, and we shouldn't have to brace ourselves for it on a thread devoted to dogs media.

I started that, not with the intention of upsetting anyone, but as an add on to the possibility of seeing Josh Schache and Matthew
Hammelmann in the same forward line as I would have found that quite exciting. I apologise if this offended you or anyone else,
but I can assure you my swimming pool is not that shallow and I salivate over no one.

If people are upset about the joking around about the weather girl, then I think I'm done.

I find this a place where you can put some sarcasm and humour into your posts and most people get it.

There are a few PC police who jump down the throats of others for the slightest thing and get outraged at something that isn't really outrageous. In fact I had my first ever post deleted last night because I said sarcastically that someone's handicapping of a rogue pieman Comp was s**t. Surely I have enough credits on the board for people to know my style and realise that I'm joking around?

The world is a darker, sadder place on many levels and a lot of it is bought about by people trying to poo poo everything that doesn't sit right. We all seem to want to foot stamp and carry on over little things that in the scheme of things are so petty and ridiculous. We have to call our manager now and ask if we can "please sir, may we have a beer?" One. Single. Beer. Team morale is shot.Some of the best ideas at work came about not on the clock, but sitting shooting the breeze with a can of suds on a Friday arvo. Guys can't get out fast enough. Doesn't that strike anyone as ridiculous and slightly concerning? At lunchtime and smoko everyone has their head buried in their phones and no one talks or laughs.

yes we have some divisive posters here, and yes I sometime cringe at what is said but really, it is just an opinion and yes, like arseholes, everyone has one.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, and stays safe over the New Year.

Oh and I'm going to ask Santa for everyone who has an alt account on here to shut them down and own your comments. Is that too much to ask?

EDIT - I've just seen all the posts on the weather girl have been deleted too. Admittedly I haven't read that thread for a few days, but what I read wasn't offensivel to me, however there were some that sailed close to the line. Perhaps some worse stuff went in there in the last couple of days. I don't know. I definitely try and think about what I post before I do. If what I wrote was offensive please tell me as I don't think I crossed the line.

Last edited:

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can be critical of a player or coach's performance without it being personal.

If we cant have a frank discussion about what or whom is good or bad for the football team moving forward then this becomes a pretty boring place.

When the criticism of players, coach and club is relentless and mostly unwarranted, then it starts to really bug posters who genuinely have love and show passion for the club, which is 99.9% of us.

My view on all this is that mods don’t tolerate oppo fans coming in here and paying out on the club, yet we have a Miserable Drainer so called Bulldog fan who shits on the club, players, coaches any chance he gets and then stirs the s**t pot when it gets called out and zero is done about it.

First and foremost, surely rule No1 on the WBBF page is that you actually support the *in club. Surely that is the minimum requirement ?

I’m happy to admit I have a thin tolerance when it comes to others who fling s**t at the club. So, be it oppo supporters, or fake dog supporters if you carry on like a muppet in here and sledge the club in 9/10 posts then you’ll get called out for being a muppet.

Simply put, if you don’t support the club, might be time to permanently pissoffski.

Note: jtz101, this isn’t directed at you.

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The world is a darker, sadder place on many levels and a lot of it is bought about by people trying to poo poo everything that doesn't sit right. We all seem to want to foot stamp and carry on over little things that in the scheme of things are so petty and ridiculous. We have to call our manager now and ask if we can "please sir, may we have a beer?" One. Single. Beer. Team morale is shot.Some of the best ideas at work came about not on the clock, but sitting shooting the breeze with a can of suds on a Friday arvo. Guys can't get out fast enough. Doesn't that strike anyone as ridiculous and slightly concerning? At lunchtime and smoko everyone has their head buried in their phones and no one talks or laughs.

The world has been a dark, sad, grim place for countless types of people all through history who now feel they have a secure enough place in society to speak up and explain the things they go through and try to live a better existence, and so of course people who loved the olden days, when those types of people shut up and suffered in silence, are so ******* mad about it. I don't see what any of that has to do with people being on their phones and needing permission to drink on the job, or what that has to do with the inappropriateness of sexual comments about a female weather presenter on a thread about media articles and videos about the Western Bulldogs.

I hope you have a merry Christmas, grassman, but I also hope you can sometimes bring yourself to think about the world from a point of view other than your own.

EDIT: I just saw the edit on your own post, and I appreciate you thinking twice about it. Please consider this post a reaction to your original one and know that I'm not as pissed off now that I've read the edit. I still doubt we agree on the state of the world but thanks for the extra consideration of the issue.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone has said anything about censoring, and it seems to be a stock standard response these days whenever anyone is pulled up on what they say as being offensive or inappropriate, instead of reflecting on it, people get defensive. It’s a real right wing strategy.

For what it’s worth, the weather girl stuff that I read seemed harmless and some of it quite funny, maybe I didn’t see the turn it took at the end. The comments I find revolting are when someone states they will lend out their partner for sexual favours, yeah I know it was only a joke, but it comes from the premis that you own that person. Violence, including sexual violence occurs when there is a sense of entitlement or belief that someone is a lesser being.Anyway I’m not here to give a lecture, I would just like everyone to remember that our players are people, and so are our posters.

I really enjoy reading the footy discussions on here, especially the footy analysis. I take pride in the fact that Bulldogs bf is seen as a pretty good board from opposition posters, we are open to chatting with others and are not as defensive as say North’s board.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If people are upset about the joking around about the weather girl, then I think I'm done.

I find this a place where you can put some sarcasm and humour into your posts and most people get it.

There are a few PC police who jump down the throats of others for the slightest thing and get outraged at something that isn't really outrageous. In fact I had my first ever post deleted last night because I said sarcastically that someone's handicapping of a rogue pieman Comp was s**t. Surely I have enough credits on the board for people to know my style and realise that I'm joking around?

yes we have some divisive posters here, and yes I sometime cringe at what is said but really, it is just an opinion and yes, like arseholes, everyone has one.

Oh and I'm going to ask Santa for everyone who has an alt account on here to shut them down and own your comments. Is that too much to ask?

EDIT - I've just seen all the posts on the weather girl have been deleted too. Admittedly I haven't read that thread for a few days, but what I read wasn't offensivel to me, however there were some that sailed close to the line. Perhaps some worse stuff went in there in the last couple of days. I don't know. I definitely try and think about what I post before I do. If what I wrote was offensive please tell me as I don't think I crossed the line.

Who determines whether it being outrageous is right or wrong ? Isn’t that just an opinion also ?

Like some in here I grew up around casual racism and sexism. Back then no one batted an eye lid to a terribly racist joke or a car full of men wolf whistling a woman on the street.
Now fast forward 10/20/30 years and quiet a few in this country now hate being called out when behaving this way and they don’t understand why it shits people, going on to claim it being the “ PC Leftie, Goodie Goodie, Tree Hugging, SJW’s fault.

Let’s pretend that all this was sorted out 150yrs ago and we were all brought up more considerate and thoughtful towards other people of different gender, race etc. and being considerate and thoughtful was all we knew ?
This can still be the case.
Just because something is all we’ve know and become accustomed to, doesn’t mean it’s the correct way.
We only need to look back to racial segregation, gender inequality and so on as examples.

I don’t think I’ve ever taken issue with anything you’ve posted Grassman, and that’s still the case now.
My response was just explaining another view point on things.

When the criticism of players, coach and club is relentless and mostly unwarranted, then it starts to really bug posters who genuinely have love and show passion for the club, which is 99.9% of us.

My view on all this is that mods don’t tolerate oppo fans coming in here and paying out on the club, yet we have a Miserable Drainer so called Bulldog fan who shits on the club, players, coaches any chance he gets and then stirs the s**t pot when it gets called out and zero is done about it.

First and foremost, surely rule No1 on the WBBF page is that you actually support the ****in club. Surely that is the minimum requirement ?

I’m happy to admit I have a thin tolerance when it comes to others who fling s**t at the club. So, be it oppo supporters, or fake dog supporters if you carry on like a muppet in here and sledge the club in 9/10 posts then you’ll get called out for being a muppet.

Simply put, if you don’t support the club, might be time to permanently pissoffski.

Note: jtz101, this isn’t directed at you.

I agree, I remember having a conversation with an opposition supporter pre 2016, and their comments on Bulldog supporters in general stung. It went something like, anxious, negative people who moan and complain louder than they clap and cheer. We used to have seats in section 30 I think it was, but moved because no one cheered or clapped just whinged. Please guys, don’t be those supporters.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree, I remember having a conversation with an opposition supporter pre 2016, and their comments on Bulldog supporters in general stung. It went something like, anxious, negative people who moan and complain louder than they clap and cheer. We used to have seats in section 30 I think it was, but moved because no one cheered or clapped just whinged. Please guys, don’t be those supporters.

I think some have sunk back in to that rut due to our post 2016 slide and are scared it may be another 60+ year wait for our next flag.
I really hope we climb the ladder next season, not sure I can bare another year of the negative shite.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
I don’t think anyone has said anything about censoring, and it seems to be a stock standard response these days whenever anyone is pulled up on what they say as being offensive or inappropriate, instead of reflecting on it, people get defensive. It’s a real right wing strategy.

For what it’s worth, the weather girl stuff that I read seemed harmless and some of it quite funny, maybe I didn’t see the turn it took at the end. The comments I find revolting are when someone states they will lend out their partner for sexual favours, yeah I know it was only a joke, but it comes from the premis that you own that person. Violence, including sexual violence occurs when there is a sense of entitlement or belief that someone is a lesser being.Anyway I’m not here to give a lecture, I would just like everyone to remember that our players are people, and so are our posters.

I really enjoy reading the footy discussions on here, especially the footy analysis. I take pride in the fact that Bulldogs bf is seen as a pretty good board from opposition posters, we are open to chatting with others and are not as defensive as say North’s board.

My heavily qualified and contextually dependent comment about censoring was specifically related to the OP suggesting mod involvement for negative comments about players who have mental health issues. That was a reasonable inference from the post although it was a very vague one. Really disappointing that you’d assume I had a right wing perspective on anything. Did not appreciate the implication, and certainly not one that could possibly be taken from what I said.

Add to that you then defend behaviour that obviously makes others uncomfortable as harmless... Classic right wing tactic that one. A go to move.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AE90D767-10FC-48FD-BE52-5BE1FCA83E20.jpeg

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Aleays enjoy the posts beginning with..

'People should/need to realise/stop/understand...'

Some of these people claim its just another opinion.

Reads like people trying to tell other people what they can and can't do and think.

Internet Forums were once viewed as anarchic places where ideas and opinions could be discussed freely. Now it seems forums are populated by a good number of people who want everyone else to conform to their idea of what is right.

Millenial mind police.

Modern day book burners.

Whatev's

Keep the 'people should' posts coming and keep telling us its just an opinion and you aren't trying to tell people what to do and think - Orwellian doublethink at its finest.

And happy festive season to all...

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
United Nations, Universal Declaration of Human Rights

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas?"
Joseph Stalin

"Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too."
Voltaire, Traité sur la tolérance, à l'occasion de la mort de Jean Calas

Last edited:

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians

Think I was the first to reply and set the " ball rolling " Yoj.
Ok I am a old male fossil , but for me it was all a bit of light hearted banter , hurting nobody except those that seem to want to be offended.
Lucky the Benny Hill show is long gone.
It is the off season , with bugger all to talk about , surely the odd off topic discussion is no big deal ?
I find it easy to skim what does not interest me , it's not that hard !
As for the forums of other clubs being different , that's just bs , very little difference .

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
What you holding King I’m going to need something to get through Xmas day with the mother in law??

Any chance you can get the mother In law to post an assessment of her son in law ?
Could make some interesting reading ;)

PS still have plenty ( could be a little out of date )

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Reads like people trying to tell other people what they can and can't do and think.

Internet Forums were once viewed as anarchic places where ideas and opinions could be discussed freely. Now it seems forums are populated by a good number of people who want everyone else to conform to their idea of what is right.

Millenial mind police.

Modern day book burners.

Whatev's

Keep the 'people should' posts coming and keep telling us its just an opinion and you aren't trying to tell people what to do and think - Orwellian doublethink at its finest.

Some people just seem compelled to encourage others to be decent people I guess.

It's not your initial remark that's overly objectionable, it's the deluge of comments that follow.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think any deletions would be less about being offensive or whatever, and more about the fact that the thread got completely derailed by an unrelated topic. I don't see anything wrong with what was written at all, just that it had no place in that particular thread. Should go in the non-footy talk thread

My heavily qualified and contextually dependent comment about censoring was specifically related to the OP suggesting mod involvement for negative comments about players who have mental health issues. That was a reasonable inference from the post although it was a very vague one. Really disappointing that you’d assume I had a right wing perspective on anything. Did not appreciate the implication, and certainly not one that could possibly be taken from what I said.

Add to that you then defend behaviour that obviously makes others uncomfortable as harmless... Classic right wing tactic that one. A go to move.

Wow gangsta deluxe wasnt having a go at you at all, and unreservedly apologise if I offended you. I was speaking just in general about any sort of moderating of language. If you notice you were not quoted in my response.

What my post was meant to convey was that rather than getting defensive when someone pulls you up, and start spouting censorship, a little of reflection on how that your post might have been interpreted. My mention about right wing was more in keeping with Trumpism.

In terms of stating the weather girl stuff was “harmless” I also stated that I did not see the end and where it headed after that.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Wow gangsta deluxe wasnt having a go at you at all, and unreservedly apologise if I offended you. I was speaking just in general about any sort of moderating of language. If you notice you were not quoted in my response.

What my post was meant to convey was that rather than getting defensive when someone pulls you up, and start spouting censorship, a little of reflection on how that your post might have been interpreted. My mention about right wing was more in keeping with Trumpism.

In terms of stating the weather girl stuff was “harmless” I also stated that I did not see the end and where it headed after that.

Haha no worries - I apologise for cracking it. I fired at the hip and jumped to conclusions! Early and cranky...

Haha no worries - I apologise for cracking it. I fired at the hip and jumped to conclusions! Early and cranky...

No worries, GD, I rarely disagree with your posts and think of you as a well respected poster.

Millenial mind police.

Modern day book burners.

Whatev's

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
United Nations, Universal Declaration of Human Rights

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas?"
Joseph Stalin

"Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too."
Voltaire, Traité sur la tolérance, à l'occasion de la mort de Jean Calas
I think the UN would be happy with people expressing their opinions as long as they agree with them :) Has to be a line just a matter of where you draw it

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I had no idea when I started this post that it would go this way. However I am glad in a way, everyone that has posted has done so with a degree of respect. Sure there are lot different views and disagreement on what is an acceptable comment but I think posters have put their views forwarded without any mud slinging. Bravo.

Last edited:
Back