Call for Respect on the Bigfooty Bulldog Board for 2019

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most people on this forum probably know their way around the internet. They have probably seen comment threads and forums from the net's seamier locales. So they would know that it gets a lot lot worse than this forum.

I totally understand where the OP is coming from. I hate the idea of some 18 year old coming on this forum and seeing himself getting unfairly bagged out by some ignorant insensitive nonce. But unfortunately that is what life is like if you are a celebrity. And these kids are celebrities. I know they are told on Day 1 at the club to NOT LOOK AT FORUMS. And they are told why that is the case. It's really not up to some rando supporter to watch what they say on the off-chance some kid will flagrantly disregard the advice they are given and be hurt by it.

I don't want to appear insensitive about footballer's mental health. Some of these players really are just kids. And it is no surprise that they can't avoid temptation to take a peek at what people are saying about them. But I can't emphasise enough that it is exactly the same for every kid on reality TV, or any pop star or anyone else in the public eye. And of course all these kids cop plenty of crap on Twitter and instagram anyway. It just goes with the territory, and is a sad fact of life. Nothing we do on this forum will change that reality. By the way, I think you might be surprised about how much more critical some of the players themselves are about their own performances than we are. (Of course other players are deluded and super arrogant though.)

Anyway - what I'm saying is that this is like any other part of the internet. I think the secret to being a decent human being on the internet is to remember that you are talking to an actual person and about actual people. And as long as you do that, I don't think there's any need for self-censorship. Some people will of course fail to do that - that's the internet. And that's when other people on the internet can pull them into line with criticism. I feel like that happens plenty on this board already.

Finally, because it seems no post in this thread can exist without discussing MD - I find him to be pretty good-humoured. And while he loses his nana sometimes, and does enjoy having the last word when talking about himself (like we all seem to enjoy when talking about him!) I think he is also capable of great self-awareness and good cheer. He's just a classic knockabout misanthropic blokey type. No problems there - the grandstands are filled with them. Let's face it, if he really was all that mean-spirited he would have been perma-banned long ago cause he loves to push his luck. If he's the worst problem we have on this forum we are wayyyy better off than most of the net.

Last edited:
Most people on this forum probably know their way around the internet. They have probably seen comment threads and forums from the net's seamier locales. So they would know that it gets a lot lot worse than this forum.

I totally understand where the OP is coming from. I hate the idea of some 18 year old coming on this forum and seeing himself getting unfairly bagged out by some ignorant insensitive nonce. But unfortunately that is what life is like if you are a celebrity. And these kids are celebrities. I know they are told on Day 1 at the club to NOT LOOK AT FORUMS. And they are told why that is the case. It's really not up to some rando supporter to watch what they say on the off-chance some kid will flagrantly disregard the advice they are given and be hurt by it.

I don't want to appear insensitive about footballer's mental health. Some of these players really are just kids. And it is no surprise that they can't avoid temptation to take a peek at what people are saying about them. But I can't emphasise enough that it is exactly the same for every kid on reality TV, or any pop star or anyone else in the public eye. And of course all these kids cop plenty of crap on Twitter and instagram anyway. It just goes with the territory, and is a sad fact of life. Nothing we do on this forum will change that reality. By the way, I think you might be surprised about how much more critical some of the players themselves are about their own performances than we are. (Of course other players are deluded and super arrogant though.)

Anyway - what I'm saying is that this is like any other part of the internet. I think the secret to being a decent human being on the internet is to remember that you are talking to an actual person and about actual people. And as long as you do that, I don't think there's any need for self-censorship. Some people will of course fail to do that - that's the internet. And that's when other people on the internet can pull them into line with criticism. I feel like that happens plenty on this board already.

Finally, because it seems no post in this thread can exist without discussing MD - I find him to be pretty good-humoured. And while he loses his nana sometimes, and does enjoy having the last word when talking about himself (like we all seem to enjoy when talking about him!) I think he is also capable of great self-awareness and good cheer. He's just a classic knockabout misanthropic blokey type. No problems there - the grandstands are filled with them. Let's face it, if he really was all that mean-spirited he would have been perma-banned long ago cause he loves to push his luck. If he's the worst problem we have on this forum we are wayyyy better off than most of the net.
Well as you have revealed the secret to being a decent human being maybe there is something we can do about it :)

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians

Excellent Post

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I do not disagree with what has been said per say in the above posts everyone to their own. What I was guilty of in the past is shooting form the hip after a bad or unexpected loss. I sometimes get home from the footy hit the keyboard to vent my anger and go over the top with my criticism. In future I will think before I type. Does not mean that there will be no criticism just more balanced comments.

Last edited:

TheBont

Club Legend
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So is it okay to roast players that aren't playing well?

I'm guilty of this but when player a does have a good game I acknowledge it

So is it okay to roast players that aren't playing well?

I'm guilty of this but when player a does have a good game I acknowledge it
There should be no problem with posting fair and constructive criticism. I try to work on the basis that if I wouldn't be prepared to say it to the player's face in conversation with him, then perhaps it's not fair and constructive criticism.

However nobody's perfect ... I sometimes often break my own rules.

There should be no problem with posting fair and constructive criticism. I try to work on the basis that if I wouldn't be prepared to say it to the player's face in conversation with him, then perhaps it's not fair and constructive criticism.

However nobody's perfect ... I sometimes often break my own rules.

Hey Dogwatch, a lovely young gentleman has started up a competition that is very similar to your annual Pieman.
Since we are so friendly and respectful on this board now, I'm lying awake at night wondering how you are going to tell him to move in a forwardly direction and do some mathematics?

We all make mistakes, and I feel this a rare oversight by this charming young man, a keen, eager, junior burger trying to make his mark in the big bad world of bulldogs big footy, an unfamiliar, but thanks to this thread, a now much safer place to go than that cesspit that is the Facebook page.

I wish you luck in your endeavours kind sir.

Anxiously awaiting your reply,

Grass (not the stuff you inhale) man

*is that how we are supposed to do it now?

Hey Dogwatch, a lovely young gentleman has started up a competition that is very similar to your annual Pieman.
Since we are so friendly and respectful on this board now, I'm lying awake at night wondering how you are going to tell him to move in a forwardly direction and do some mathematics?

We all make mistakes, and I feel this a rare oversight by this charming young man, a keen, eager, junior burger trying to make his mark in the big bad world of bulldogs big footy, an unfamiliar, but thanks to this thread, a now much safer place to go than that cesspit that is the Facebook page.

Tell him to eff off.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I do not disagree with what has been said per say in the above posts everyone to their own. What I was guilty of in the past is shooting form the hip after a bad or unexpected loss. I sometimes get home from the footy hit the keyboard to vent my anger and go over the top with my criticism. In future I will think before I type. Does not mean that there will be no criticism just more balanced comments.
This is something we could all learn to improve on. One of our guys having a s**t game is no different to if we had a bad day at work and made some mistakes. Sometimes, there are more important things going on in our lives (relationship or financial troubles for examples) which can very easily distract us from being at our best.

Just thinking back to the North game this year, where a poor decision from Wallis arguably cost us the game right at the end - honestly I think the last thing he needed at that point was the criticism of fans online. He'd otherwise played very well, but one s**t decision is all that is remembered. He probably played that moment through his mind countless times over the next week, and having Dogs fans slinging abuse online would have just made it so much worse.

When I * up at work, I sure as hell wouldn't appreciate having people abuse me on social media for my mistake, so I'd be a hypocrite to do the same

LOL
If people want to play the DelRe way they are welcome, although it does seem counterproductive. There are heaps of other interesting comps we could be running if we want more of them. Why have two the same? Presumably just a lack of imagination.

The Pieman will be back around the end of Feb/ start of March as usual and I'm sure we'll have another fun year, especially now we know what Billy G is capable of.

I treat plagiarism as a genuine (if unintended) compliment.

Tell him to eff off.
:oops:
I guess that'll have to diddly do
1548058676218.png

SonOfScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Look after your own. Eviscerate all others. Carn the scray,

Seriously though, most attempts at banter etc in bigfooty are shithouse, better when people are civil and stay in their lane.

DelRe

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If people want to play the DelRe way they are welcome, although it does seem counterproductive.
Do you mean DelRe the player or is there another poster with a DelRe like name? Just want to clarify as I’m not involved in any of the competitions.

Do you mean DelRe the player or is there another poster with a DelRe like name? Just want to clarify as I’m not involved in any of the competitions.
Nothing to worry about - just a name that was proposed for a comp. A bit of fun.

Back