Opinion Call to Arms!

Remove this Banner Ad

Our crowd has been average for 2 seasons, expectations have lifted and I have commented numerous times this year that the atmosphere was lacking.

Although I thought the QF crowd was actually pretty good, maybe it depends where you're sitting.

Was a weird crowd last saturday for sure. Think has something to do with that we're going so good as well as a bit of 'meh' factor.
2012 and 2013 weren't expected to do much in the first week of finals (Even I was half confident with Geelong in Geelong).
Not sure with alot of people, but it matters if you have been through the highs and lows such as 2001 then getting in the first final in 03. Just seems like people jumped on board later.
Also a lot of people were so busy getting up and getting beers continuously during the game. Was definitely annoyed at those people doing it.

I have been a fan of freo since 95 and a member for a number of years now in Melbourne, I went to many games in perth up until I left for Melbourne in 2011, I think some of the reason for the quietness in perth now at games is that people just sit back and relax and enjoy the game and don't get passionate cause they expect a win to happen rather than trying to drag the team over the line. I really think fans in perth need to bring there A game and be the 19th man that we need our fans to be for the team next Friday. So come on freo fans get LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!! and passionate

I am passionate about this.
Although I acknowledge the global behemoth that is Big Footy, I have decided to attack social media with this message.
Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I am using the following hashtags:

#CallToArms
#ForTheFinals

I remember being there for the 2013 final against sydney, it send shivers down my whole body right now as I type even thinking about that game.

It was manic and just too good.

I have a feeling that this year will be the same, a bit of quick silver liquid always helps but we need to get the chant going also. And all lets hope that Adelaide smash the hawks.

The crowd was a bit subdued for the QF - I put it down to a few factors, the early start time (night games far rowdier), the wind blowing away the noise a little, but probably the expectation that we'd turn up and get it done. I think the Prelim will be intense.

Have to agree with this - was surprised how much quieter the Freo crowd were than Weagles on Friday. Maybe because we've played 8 finals games in the last few years. But there's no excuse - we have to be prepared to go insane no matter what.

Bring it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A week out from our Prelim is a good time for the Call. We need to bring the noise, the passion and the energy. After the media favourites for fans (Richmond) have been sent packing... Lets grab the reins of a Purple juggernaut !

The QF certainly had an odd feeling about it. Maybe, compared to reg. season, the unfamiliarity of surroundings etc.(diff. seat, diff. fans around) had regularly boisterous blocks broken up and less effective. Thought when we felt we were required we piped up with the freo chant... but thats champagne support folks... from the start, we need constant and unrelenting pressure on the opposition next Fri night. Don't let up. Don't let someone else do it for you. Don't wait.

Whomever we face next Friday night, its all of our jobs to make them feel us.

Last edited:
I must admit the people on one side of me in the row I was in sat silent for the whole game no clapping no cheering no comments or anything I found it quite off putting, the only support they could give was the fact they dressed in freo gear. As soon as the match was over they were out of there so fast, I hope we don't end up with to many of the silent supporters next Friday night

I went the other way...I don't LET them watch with me anymore. Yeah...bossing it.
I value my privacy when watching. Can be bloody annoying.

I noticed on a different thread someone complaining about people moving around to buy beer etc. Now this apparently was happening during our QF against the Swans however I also noticed (from the posters avatar ?) that he was a West Coast supporter and I'm wondering how many Eagles supporters were at our game and what effect did they have on our noise level.

I noticed on a different thread someone complaining about people moving around to buy beer etc. Now this apparently was happening during our QF against the Swans however I also noticed (from the posters avatar ?) that he was a West Coast supporter and I'm wondering how many Eagles supporters were at our game and what effect did they have on our noise level.
I had two in front of move, decked out in Eagles regalia. They even had their knitting needles.

I had two in front of move, decked out in Eagles regalia. They even had their knitting needles.
I get the feeling eagles fans are trying to sabotage us by turning up and sitting quietly except for the booing of adam goodes, so that we lose our 19th man I think we need to be extra loud and proud and on our absolute best cheering to get us to the GF

When Norf were over here last year and beat us, the atmosphere was crazy. People were out for blood and for Boomer Harvey. It was the first time we had played them since pinchgate

That's the great thing about footy, gets the blood pumping, the roller-coaster of emotions, it builds up all week and you can let it out at the footy and go about your business as normal.

I may be stating the obvious here, and, if so, treat it as a reminder.

After listening to Jordan Lewis on 360 Monday night, he mentioned how ‘intimidated’ he and other team mates were by the crowd when the played West Coast last Friday. IIRC, he actually said that it was uncomfortable leaving their ‘home’ environment of the MCG to play finals. Their performance typified that of a ‘scared’ opposition.

Watching that game, I admit I felt it too. It was eerily similar to our PF against Sydney in 2013 where the noise was so deafening that even the commentators struggled to hear each other.

However, on Saturday against Sydney, I felt we (as a crowd) were a little below our best. Maybe it was the perceived unconvincing performance. Maybe we have higher expectations. Maybe all the media reports are creating a little self-doubt in our team’s ability. I don’t know, but we have lost a ‘little’ of that passion we demonstrate as a crowd. I am also responsible.

Jordan Lewis woke me up.

Playing at Subiaco, we as supporters actually have a role to play. We can influence the result. I know that the Freo community (team, administration and supporters) are still ‘dog hungry’ for the ultimate prize. We need to demonstrate it!

So this is a call to arms!

Commentators have mentioned that Subi is arguably the loudest stadium in Australia. We need to prove it. Put in the effort we expect of our players. Go hard from the first bounce. If we are up and about, make it deafening. If the opposition are getting a run on, dig deep and scream louder. The players should feel the earth move. We ARE the most passionate supporters in the comp. Hawthorn or Adelaide should be petrified to play here.

This is OUR year! Bugger the West, I want the whole bloody thing to be OURS! It’s not just up to the players. Let’s play our part and contribute like no other crowd had done before (including us in 2013). We are lucky enough to have this opportunity.

This is our duty.
I have always thought we could be a lot louder

I am passionate about this.
Although I acknowledge the global behemoth that is Big Footy, I have decided to attack social media with this message.
Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I am using the following hashtags:

#CallToArms
#ForTheFinals
You should include #foreverfreo in that as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back