Called in sick for psychologist appointment

Remove this Banner Ad

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi all,

I've been suffering with depression and anxiety and have finally been convinced by my loving fiance to seek help. A lot of these issues have been exacerbated by my stressful job, so I am a)looking for a new job and b)seeking help for my current issues so that I can be the best and most productive person I can be.

Work are the type to ask awkward questions and deny me leave if I ask for the morning off and I don't specify 'what' the appointment is. I don't want them to know about my mental issues so have called in sick for the day.

My question is, am I actually sick? Is mental illness actually a sickness? Or am I being a dishonest employee? Have any of you guys ever lied to your boss about mental health appointments?

It might sound silly but I don't want them knowing as I don't want to have a target on my back/be seen differently.

Any advice/personal anecdotes would be much appreciated

Absolutely ok. You don't have to tell them what the appointment is for. It's none of their business. Just say you have a medical appointment.

Definitely call in sick and don’t for one second feel guilty about it. You don’t owe them an explanation in this particular instance.

Mental illness is definitely a sickness but good on you for getting the help you need.

Absolutely OK. It's none of their business. If they get too curious tell them something about prostate getting attention and you'd rather not discuss it any further. It's not lying, it's giving them disinfo to get them off your back because it's none of their business.

In any case, you'd rather not discuss it further. It's none of their business.

None.

In answer to your specific questions:
  1. Yes, you are sick
  2. Yes, mental illness is recognised as sickness under employment law
  3. No, you are not being dishonest by withholding information about your appointment
  4. Giving a false reason for your appointment is dishonest and I would try to avoid it if possible
Generally speaking you are entitled to keep your health situation private, but there are exceptions. There are also circumstances where you might benefit from voluntarily disclosing some details to your employer.

Read this and discuss any questions with your treating clinician.

MrsEddieBetts

Last edited:
I believe most works now offer a couple no questions asked mental heath days a year, so you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe most works now offer a couple no questions asked mental heath days a year, so you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unless your John Barilaro who gets a month off no questions asked basically because he's so bad at his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say you are being "managed".

But seriously mate, mental health is a serious issue. It drags you down and doesn't allow you to enjoy life. Do not feel the need to explain yourself to no one. Look after yourself, no one else will.

In answer to your specific questions:
  1. Yes, you are sick
  2. Yes, mental illness is recognised as sickness under employment law
  3. No, you are not being dishonest by withholding information about your appointment
  4. Giving a false reason for your appointment is dishonest and I would try to avoid it if possible
Generally speaking you are entitled to keep your health situation private, but there are exceptions. There are also circumstances where you might benefit from voluntarily disclosing some details to your employer.

Read this and discuss any questions with your treating clinician.

MrsEddieBetts

Agree with all this but all the employer needs to know is it is a medical appointment for ongoing treatment. They don't need to know the reason, none of their business.

So my employer called today demanding to know the nature of my illness. I told them it was confidential and they said that wasn't good enough and hung up on me.

There will be hell to pay when I get back.

So my employer called today demanding to know the nature of my illness. I told them it was confidential and they said that wasn't good enough and hung up on me.

Are you organised at work, can you talk to union rep?

Did your counselor give you any help on how to explain it to your employer? They would have run into this in the past.

Did your counselor give you any help on how to explain it to your employer? They would have run into this in the past.
I might have to raise it with him next session. I've finally sought help (I was very sceptical of mental illness for a long time) and my employer is hounding me. It's been a time of great reflection and I'm now questioning whether the man in my avatar really embodies the biblical principles I try and live my life by.

Thanks a lot guys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back