Called in sick for psychologist appointment

Remove this Banner Ad

So my employer called today demanding to know the nature of my illness. I told them it was confidential and they said that wasn't good enough and hung up on me.

There will be hell to pay when I get back.

Unfortunately unsurprising to hear that.

If it's ongoing medical appointments then it's probably courteous to produce certificates for them (without the details). And sure it's nice if they are concerned about you and ask what's up, just say you're not 100% but thanks for caring.

But this is clearly not how they feel about it, sounds like they don't give a stuff about your health, don't trust you and just want you working.

I resigned partly because of it and couldn't work for an a-hole any longer. I had nothing else lined up, but it was such a relief to get out of there. Even if unions could help I'd still be working for that a-hole. I knew for years that I had to leave that environment, but doing it was the thing. I don't regret it for a second.

You know inside what's good for you and what's not. Give yourself as much time as you need. I'm not an expert, just what I did.

You think? I must be lucky because I can't imagine any of my employers over the years pulling that crap. Especially since it's an office job. I have mates in construction and could see it more in that industry. The employer doesn't have a leg to stand on if he decides to escalate it. Of course, sometimes the culture is just crap and that could cause even more issues.

I might have to raise it with him next session. I've finally sought help (I was very sceptical of mental illness for a long time) and my employer is hounding me. It's been a time of great reflection and I'm now questioning whether the man in my avatar really embodies the biblical principles I try and live my life by.

Thanks a lot guys

Hell no. That's the devil incarnate.

Was going to ask a question about that but figured this isn't a political thread. Was wondering about that though. Pence I could understand, but Trump isn't very religious at all. Certainly doesn't walk the walk.
He got the riot squad to clear the path to the outside of a Church so he could get a photo of himself holding a bible once

Should look into why he did it...
Anyhoo off topic

Your employer can demand what they like and you can rightfully tell them to shove it
Unless, something is effecting your work performance or is a danger to yourself or your workmates then there isn't a prob and it's private.
Damn, my work pays for a counsellor for three or four visits for you if you are struggling and it's open to all employees no matter your title... driver or ceo

I would start recording everything in note form with date and time.
Try to push the conversation via emails then you have proof in case you get discriminated against later down the track.

It sounds like your employer has no idea and the company has done nothing for it's people in senior positions in mental health training.

Talking is good and I hope you feel better soon

You think? I must be lucky because I can't imagine any of my employers over the years pulling that crap. Especially since it's an office job. I have mates in construction and could see it more in that industry. The employer doesn't have a leg to stand on if he decides to escalate it. Of course, sometimes the culture is just crap and that could cause even more issues.

Same thoughts here, give them the doctors certificate (got every right to ask for one) and end of story. Id tell them where to jump if they asked for more info.

So my employer called today demanding to know the nature of my illness. I told them it was confidential and they said that wasn't good enough and hung up on me.

There will be hell to pay when I get back.

Good on you for seeking help mate. You bosses sound like absolute w***ers. In my opinion you can:
a. have a day off whenever you like (unpaid if need be)
b. If you want to claim it as a sick day and your work requires a doctors certificate then get one, if they dont require a doctros certificate then just make up an excuse
c. In your situation, getting medical help in the form of a psychologist, of course you can take time off and just get a medical certificate off them
d. if they ask for more information tell them its private, if they kick up a storm then tell the to get stufffed (in a way that wont get you fired haha)

I understand you may not be up for a fight or tension as you are feeling the wy you are presently but at some point you have to stand up for yourself.

I ******* hate people like you bosses who think they can treat people like this and expect to get away with it. You can see why people go to work with covid symptoms

Same thoughts here, give them the doctors certificate (got every right to ask for one) and end of story. Id tell them where to jump if they asked for more info.

My workplace only require medical certificates for 4+ days. If I'm in bed with the flu for a day or two I'm hardly going to go to the doctor's for a certificate.

My workplace only require medical certificates for 4+ days. If I'm in bed with the flu for a day or two I'm hardly going to go to the doctor's for a certificate.
There’s nothing stopping an employer asking for a medical certificate to justify any and all sick leave, but most workplaces waive it for short absences for practical purposes or as part of a union agreement.

We typically waive a certificate for 1-2 day absences, but if the employee has a history or pattern of repeated sick leave they will often need to provide certificates for all time off.

I don’t really like the 2 day rule. More than once I have gone into work sick on the third day simply because I was on the improve, and didn’t want the time and expense of a GP visit to tell me to drink fluids and spend another day or two in bed.

There’s nothing stopping an employer asking for a medical certificate to justify any and all sick leave, but most workplaces waive it for short absences for practical purposes or as part of a union agreement.

We typically waive a certificate for 1-2 day absences, but if the employee has a history or pattern of repeated sick leave they will often need to provide certificates for all time off.

I don’t really like the 2 day rule. More than once I have gone into work sick on the third day simply because I was on the improve, and didn’t want the time and expense of a GP visit to tell me to drink fluids and spend another day or two in bed.
Yeah think it’s the classic case of the minority who take the piss screwing it up for most people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

I've been suffering with depression and anxiety and have finally been convinced by my loving fiance to seek help. A lot of these issues have been exacerbated by my stressful job, so I am a)looking for a new job and b)seeking help for my current issues so that I can be the best and most productive person I can be.

Work are the type to ask awkward questions and deny me leave if I ask for the morning off and I don't specify 'what' the appointment is. I don't want them to know about my mental issues so have called in sick for the day.

My question is, am I actually sick? Is mental illness actually a sickness? Or am I being a dishonest employee? Have any of you guys ever lied to your boss about mental health appointments?

It might sound silly but I don't want them knowing as I don't want to have a target on my back/be seen differently.

Any advice/personal anecdotes would be much appreciated

absolutely OK

I had to make a call to put a Managing Director on 8 weeks break on full pay due to mental health. He didn't want to go on leave, as he felt vulnerable from a job security perspective but the board stood firm on the decision and reassured he has full support.

The Chairwoman is checking in each morning at his house and making sure he's following through on medical assistance and on an "mutually agreed" daily task of riding his bike and gardening. The garden is in preparation of the company Christmas party being hosted at his house.

This is an extreme example but highlights how serious organisations are committed to their teams

If it's ongoing medical appointments then it's probably courteous to produce certificates for them (without the details). And sure it's nice if they are concerned about you and ask what's up, just say you're not 100% but thanks for caring.

But this is clearly not how they feel about it, sounds like they don't give a stuff about your health, don't trust you and just want you working.

I resigned partly because of it and couldn't work for an a-hole any longer. I had nothing else lined up, but it was such a relief to get out of there. Even if unions could help I'd still be working for that a-hole. I knew for years that I had to leave that environment, but doing it was the thing. I don't regret it for a second.

You know inside what's good for you and what's not. Give yourself as much time as you need. I'm not an expert, just what I did.

Left a job a couple of years back under the same circumstances. Best thing I have ever done, used the time off to seek help and haven't looked back.

a little late on reading this thread.
To the OP, I worked for Coles for over 10yrs, just on the floor in store, but in my final year there, I got to the point where the job was eating me away inside.
The attitude toward mental health and well-being is slowly changing in workplaces, I was encouraged to go and seek help and counsel.
Coles had a specific mental health program available to staff, which entitled a staff member to 3 free 1hr sessions with a counsellor, the reasons didn't have to be work-related, and no questions were asked by Coles. After I'd been through the sessions, I learnt that many of my managers also undertook the program.

It's quite often better to talk to someone other than yourself.

You just know that someone in the office, once the medical certificate is handed in, will google the name on it.

Ah,, he / she is a psychologist. What are you seeing one of them for?

If that were to happen, I would be using that as ammunition against them if it were ever needed.

I know the difference between the flu and a cold FFS. I've had the flu where I can't even lift my head off the pillow. This stage generally lasts a day or two even if other symptoms last longer. I've never spent the day in bed with a cold. I've taken a day off for a cold but generally just sit around watching tv.

A lot of places (mine included) do 'personal leave' now and not sick leave.

What is the justification/documentation for personal leave?
It can cover sick leave, carer’s leave...

Businesses now ask employees to get med certs for carer’s leave with name and relationship of person getting cared for by the employee.

I guess it sounds less wrong (for the use of a better word) to take when you need it...not a bad thing post Covid.

I know the difference between the flu and a cold FFS. I've had the flu where I can't even lift my head off the pillow. This stage generally lasts a day or two even if other symptoms last longer. I've never spent the day in bed with a cold. I've taken a day off for a cold but generally just sit around watching tv.
I've only had the flu once but if you can get out of bed and go to work after only 2 days you are either superman or you are getting it confused with a bad cold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back