Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody cares he missed, its expected. We care that he’s getting games, he’s not up to it, clearly. His surname gets him games, it’s unfair on other players

You know who would care? He would. And it's not expected at all. He missed just like Cox, Grundy, Daniher, McCluggage, Cameron and others across the weekend.

You care that he's getting games: If he'd kicked the winner would you still care? And just for the sake of it...I guess he only got picked for TAC Cup teams of the year and All Australian sides because of his dad too?
He's an inside midfielder playing as a small defensive forward??? Chance to shine per game <5%....
Like a lot of mids currently being played out of position, he struggles to get into games because of opportunity. You say he's not up to it, I say he's being crucified playing as a small flanker. But if he'd kicked that goal last night...

Anyone who knows the Brown family would be insulted that you and lots of others are using the "he only gets games because of his father" argument. His dad has rejected offers to come back to CFC because of his kids involvement in the club. They have always tried to live by the "you get what you work for ethos" with all their kids.

He's played 50+ games now and for mine though he'd have been shattered by missing that shot, I'd bet he's not whinging and whining about it now. He's a professional athlete, same as his brother and sister. He's been raised by two great athletes (and people) themselves and he's doing something that's pretty hard to do (playing AFL games regularly).

Its unfair on other players: Its always unfair on other players. Some get a game and others don't...in the spot he's playing (defensive forward) there's only McCreery to replace him with and that looks on the cards anyway, though McCreery would probably come in for Mayne if he's injured.

Hmmmm.

Pendles does one or two other things though, yea?

Pendles plays in a spot that suits his talents (and he has for a long time). Great player....but others don't get a chance to play in their preferred positions because our midfield coaches are so resistant to change.

How did Pendles fare as a forward last night? He was there for 10-15% of his game time.

You know who would care? He would. And it's not expected at all. He missed just like Cox, Grundy, Daniher, McCluggage, Cameron and others across the weekend.

You care that he's getting games: If he'd kicked the winner would you still care? And just for the sake of it...I guess he only got picked for TAC Cup teams of the year and All Australian sides because of his dad too?
He's an inside midfielder playing as a small defensive forward??? Chance to shine per game <5%....
Like a lot of mids currently being played out of position, he struggles to get into games because of opportunity. You say he's not up to it, I say he's being crucified playing as a small flanker. But if he'd kicked that goal last night...

Anyone who knows the Brown family would be insulted that you and lots of others are using the "he only gets games because of his father" argument. His dad has rejected offers to come back to CFC because of his kids involvement in the club. They have always tried to live by the "you get what you work for ethos" with all their kids.

He's played 50+ games now and for mine though he'd have been shattered by missing that shot, I'd bet he's not whinging and whining about it now. He's a professional athlete, same as his brother and sister. He's been raised by two great athletes (and people) themselves and he's doing something that's pretty hard to do (playing AFL games regularly).

Its unfair on other players: Its always unfair on other players. Some get a game and others don't...in the spot he's playing (defensive forward) there's only McCreery to replace him with and that looks on the cards anyway, though McCreery would probably come in for Mayne if he's injured.
Stop making this bigger than Ben Hur, the kid is not good enough needs a year in vfl. End of story.

Stop making this bigger than Ben Hur, the kid is not good enough needs a year in vfl. End of story.

Yeah, no you're right. "Punters" know everything there is to know bout "stuff" eh? No-one deserves a whole year in the VFL though. Better footy in the burbs.

hes seriously more worried about hes fuxking hair than playing football the amount of times he flicks it and plays with it is disturbing.

He flicks his hair further than he kicks the ball

How confident would any of you blame merchants have been if Pendles had of had to take the set shot instead of Cal Brown?
Well he’d be sure to make the distance...

Pendles has many credits in the bank , wrong target RR

I don't actually target Aber....I defend when its due, but I don't bag our players. Never have, never will.
Pendles is and has been a great player. He's had the goal kicking set shot yips for years too. That's why he prefers to set others up and he does that beautifully.

Brown's made the distance easily....so did Cox's, Grundy's, Daniher's, McCluggage's, Cameron's....

I've seen Pendles miss so many shots at goal in the last few years...he's almost Cloke like?
Yeah, but Brown often misses because he’s trying to get extra distance. He can’t kick in relaxed fashion outside of 30m. He shouldn’t lead outside of that range, because he needs to pass it off again anyway.

Pendles is also an awful set shot, on that I agree with you. He’s only marginally better on the run these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's an inside midfielder playing as a small defensive forward??? Chance to shine per game Like a lot of mids currently being played out of position, he struggles to get into games because of opportunity. You say he's not up to it, I say he's being crucified playing as a small flanker. But if he'd kicked that goal last night...

You’re right about one thing - he’s a professional athlete - being paid a comparatively large amount of money to execute basic skills under pressure (like kicking goals from 30m dead in front) and he continually fails to execute those skills when needed.

Cal is small and not particularly strong or quick. Bigger opponents break his tackles repeatedly and faster ones run off him. Other than 20-30m short passes, he cannot kick with any length, accuracy or penetration. His kicks hang in the air and take too long to reach the target, making them perfect to be intercepted.

I’m sure Cal is a terrific person but, as a paid professional footballer, I cannot think of a single attribute of his that is genuinely league standard, let alone elite.

Opposition coaches would love seeing him selected because they know that Cal won’t hurt them on the scoreboard or bring any X-factor.

After 50+ games, it’s time to realise that his limitations are too great and we must move on to trialing other players who may bring more to the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You’re right about one thing - he’s a professional athlete - being paid a comparatively large amount of money to execute basic skills under pressure (like kicking goals from 30m dead in front) and he continually fails to execute those skills when needed.

Cal is small and not particularly strong or quick. Bigger opponents break his tackles repeatedly and faster ones run off him. Other than 20-30m short passes, he cannot kick with any length, accuracy or penetration. His kicks hang in the air and take too long to reach the target, making them perfect to be intercepted.

I’m sure Cal is a terrific person but, as a paid professional footballer, I cannot think of a single attribute of his that is genuinely league standard, let alone elite.

Opposition coaches would love seeing him selected because they know that Cal won’t hurt them on the scoreboard or bring any X-factor.

After 50+ games, it’s time to realise that his limitations are too great and we must move on to trialing other players who may bring more to the team.

This will be my last TRY....at getting some people just to look at it objectively.

• He didn't kick THE goal. I agree, but then neither did a host of others.
  • He's small (he's actually taller than Lachie Neale)
  • Bigger opponents repeatedly break his tackles : he laid 6 last night (more than Adams and Sidebottom combined) and he got the chance to kick the winning goal with another successful tackle
  • He gets paid a comparatively large amount of money: Yes, just like every other AFL player in comparison to the average Australian wage earner
  • His kicking is average, just like his fathers!
  • You cannot think of a single attribute that's genuinely league standard: How about his fitness? His courage? His ability to display discipline and to do the 1%ers that coaches love but spectators don't even see.
  • I have no problem with players (any players) being replaced at selection in an attempt to make the side better. I just don't like witnessing role players being blamed for the performance of the team. He's doing his job, maybe his coaches might give him some alternative whereby he can showcase his skills more?
Thanks for listening, I'll give up now!

This will be my last TRY....at getting some people just to look at it objectively.

• Bigger opponents repeatedly break his tackles : he laid 6 last night (more than Adams and Sidebottom combined) and he got the chance to kick the winning goal with another successful tackle
  • He gets paid a comparatively large amount of money: Yes, just like every other AFL player in comparison to the average Australian wage earner
  • You cannot think of a single attribute that's genuinely league standard: How about his fitness? His courage? His ability to display discipline and to do the 1%ers that coaches love but spectators don't even see.
  • I have no problem with players (any players) being replaced at selection in an attempt to make the side better. I just don't like witnessing role players being blamed for the performance of the team. He's doing his job, maybe his coaches might give him some alternative whereby he can showcase his skills more?

What is his role on the team though? In terms of structure, I can at least see why Buckley persists with Thomas in the team (not saying it is ideal).

For the benefit of him and for the team, we all want him to succeed. Right now, all we ask for are glimpses where we can say “yes, we want more of that”.

No doubt he tries his heart out. Fitness and courage can only take a player so far unfortunately.

You rock. Beautifully said.

There's no doubting his effort or professionalism but what concerns me is that it feels like his continual struggles with accuracy and making the distance look like they're playing on his mind in a big way and he's now regressed to the point where you can often see a look of sheer panic on his face when he he receives the ball inside 50. I worry that Thursday's miss is only going to further compound these issues.

I want him to succeed here but there's no way he can make it unless he can find a way to shake off the yips.

He has an elite side step seems to get out of traffic alot

I think he will end up at another club and have a solid 150 game career

He has an elite side step seems to get out of traffic alot

I think he will end up at another club and have a solid 150 game career

A solid 150 game career? He won’t make it to half that number, IMO.

Why would any other club recruit him? For his fitness, professionalism and elite side-step?

Footy is a ruthless business and the disappointing reality is that Cal is small, relatively slow and one of the weakest kicks in the league. And, after 50+ games, he shows no sign of noticeable improvement. No other club will take him.

Rather than hoping for a miraculous transformation, let’s see what the other players on our list can do.

Officially Ben Kennedy mk2.

Wonder how long before Bucks knows what every supporter already knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back