Injury Callum Brown sidelined by glandular fever

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Bucks was suggesting he was in line for a Round 1 debut before he got the illness: big wraps on the boy!
I didn't get that sense. For an untried draftee you would have little idea about when they will debut until they can show something in the pre season games. It is more likely that they may have seen him likely to get some game time in the 1st preseason match.

I didn't get that sense. For an untried draftee you would have little idea about when they will debut until they can show something in the pre season games. It is more likely that they may have seen him likely to get some game time in the 1st preseason match.
Are you sure you are a doctor? It's just that you seem so knowledgeable about football, I can't believe your brain is big enough to also be such a footy expert?

Are you sure you are a doctor? It's just that you seem so knowledgeable about football, I can't believe your brain is big enough to also be such a footy expert?
Is that a starting point or is it the best you have?

From the Herald Sun...........

Buckley also said:

EX-DOCKER Chris Mayne will play as a defensive forward: “He’s a very effective footballer, knows exactly what the game’s asking at different times.”

HOSKIN-ELLIOTT had shown dramatic improvement on the track in recent weeks: “He was paddling a little bit early but two weeks before Christmas he really jumped out of the ground. We’ve seen some really solid things from him on the track, he’ll be good for us.”

SCHARENBERG could be eased into his first injury-free season via the VFL: “He’s been consistently training and he’s in good nick and injury-free and that’s the main thing.”

CALLUM Brown was tracking towards a Round 1 debut before being struck down by glandular fever. His advice to the father-son draft pick: “choose the people you kiss very carefully.” :p:D:p

Buckley also said:

EX-DOCKER Chris Mayne will play as a defensive forward: “He’s a very effective footballer, knows exactly what the game’s asking at different times.”

HOSKIN-ELLIOTT had shown dramatic improvement on the track in recent weeks: “He was paddling a little bit early but two weeks before Christmas he really jumped out of the ground. We’ve seen some really solid things from him on the track, he’ll be good for us.”

SCHARENBERG could be eased into his first injury-free season via the VFL: “He’s been consistently training and he’s in good nick and injury-free and that’s the main thing.”

CALLUM Brown was tracking towards a Round 1 debut before being struck down by glandular fever. His advice to the father-son draft pick: “choose the people you kiss very carefully.” :p:D:p

Sigh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ok mike didn't you know Daicos is going to kick 63 goals this year from the pocket? :)

Forgot to add zero tackles for the season............

Last edited:
Not sure why you decided to bold the Mayne bit, that was pretty obvious from the outset. The bright side is that hopefully it means Blair is no longer required.
I'm just sick of the defensive forward role in general. Would rather he be used as a player who hits up the wings and marks.

I'm just sick of the defensive forward role in general. Would rather he be used as a player who hits up the wings and marks.
You never know, he might do that too. At this point though I'm just feeling relieved that I might not have to endure another season of Blair corralling his opponents and pretending to be a CHF.

You never know, he might do that too. At this point though I'm just feeling relieved that I might not have to endure another season of Blair corralling his opponents and pretending to be a CHF.
Or they both might play in same side and we go back to the days when we had Goldsack and Blair in the forward line.

Or they both might play in same side and we go back to the days when we had Goldsack and Blair in the forward line.
Very doubtful. Blair will be up against it to play round 1, and he knows it. There's a good reason he took so long to sign his extension and a reason there was no announcement when he did. He's regarded as depth from here on.

Very doubtful. Blair will be up against it to play round 1, and he knows it. There's a good reason he took so long to sign his extension and a reason there was no announcement when he did. He's regarded as depth from here on.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Glandular fever (mononucleosis) can be the absolute pits. I contracted it at 20 and could not sit my end of year Uni exams. You feel like you have been hit upside the head with a large stick. In bed for 6 weeks and 12 months to get back up to cruising altitude.
That was my experience. I came down with it in early December, was really only back on my feet at the end of Jan and failed half my uni subjects in the first half of that year (only subjects I failed at uni) because I was still a shell of myself.

That said, no longer lasting effects beyond that period. He'll be fine, it's not an uncommon disease.

Hope whoever he was pashing was worth it ;)

Sounds like Bucks was suggesting he was in line for a Round 1 debut before he got the illness: big wraps on the boy!

Buckley also said:

This little fabrication stems from a good case of imaginitis suffer by Al Paton the HUN reporter who wrote the article

Below is the sum total of Bucks comment on Cal Brown in the interview.

" Yes he's been going very well but has been struck down by glandular, you've gotta choose the people you kiss very carefully I would have thought"

There was no mention of any debut, be it round 1 or pre season. Just a made up lie by the HUN

In the next breath Bucks said Daicos was going very well also but when Lyon pressed him whether Daicos would be considered for a pre season game Bucks said "yes but again we are going a bit too soon".

Daicos and Brown if they did well in the preseason were always a chance to get some pre season time but probably more likely to watch and learn from the sidelines. They have so many steps to take before Bucks would ever publicly suggest they could be ready for an AFL debut.

Moral of this story is if the HUN says something that doesn't make sense to you back yourself. You will almost certainly be right.

Last edited:
Had it when i was 16. I never got back to sport the same again.

The good news it that it has been diagnosed. Some people have it years and never know.

Its becoming quite common now for young kids. I wonder if it is because their bodies are too young to deal with the rigours of training...or alternatively whether so many other kids had it historically but were never diagnosed.

He will be back on his feet shortly we hope. But i always recommend to take recovery easy because it has a habit of turning into chronic fatigue syndrome. At 18, time is on his side, so a slow recovery is best.
Goes back to my earlier argument.. perhaps its not such a great idea to push young kids too much when their bodies are developing.. i don't mind if they play in their 2nd or 3rd yrs.. definetely go a long way in having em play well into their 30s if we don't push the buggers too hard too early.

Buckley also said:

Good, hopefully Mayne can shut down guys like Heath Shaw who is probably the best in the AFL for racking up possessions in defence.

Glandular fever outcomes vary a lot.

Some get the 12 month chronic fatigue variety- very few luckily

Stacks have glandular fever and do not even know it.

The majority ( that know that they have it ) it's usually a two to six week illness.

Glandular fever outcomes vary a lot.

Some get the 12 month chronic fatigue variety- very few luckily

Stacks have glandular fever and do not even know it.

The majority ( that know that they have it ) it's usually a two to six week illness.
Good to see you and GC are on the same page:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back