Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a few kicks, handballs and tackles...certainly not disgraced, encouraging debut. But the bit I really loved was lateish in 4Q when he launched himself headfirst into a center square pack in pursuit of the ball...

BTW comparisons with other players are really a waste of time...measure him on what he does..

Apologies for jumping onto this thread. I thought Callum had a pretty good first game. He doesn't lack in courage (totally expected because his Dad was the same) and he showed great skills in tight and close (again very much like his Dad). He lacks a bit of pace but so does Cripps from the Blues and that hasn't stopped Cripps from becoming a star.

All in all a very positive first outing. It won't be long until he gets a rising star nomination. I think all Pies supporters, the club and his family will be pleased with his debut.

interesting story on his brother in the Hun.
He might be a selection for us.

I'd be more keen to read the assessments of our junior watching posters.

for those who can't find the article in the Manningham Leader

Tyler Brown firming as Collingwood father-son pick in AFL Draft

Toby Prime, Manningham Leader
June 15, 2017 8:55am
COLLINGWOOD fans may have another Brown boy to cheer on in 2018 with Gavin’s youngest son firming as a father-son selection.

Tyler Brown, 17, enjoyed a breakout game against Bendigo Pioneers in his most recent TAC Cup game for Eastern Ranges before his private school football commitments at Marcellin College.

Brown, the youngest son of club legend Gavin, sat in the grandstands at the MCG on Queen’s Birthday as older brother Callum made his debut for Collingwood.

This time next year, Tyler, a 188cm, 70kg midfielder/forward, may be doing the same thing.

Eastern Ranges talent manager Len Villani said Brown’s development would force Collingwood to consider him as a father-son selection.

“I think Collingwood are going have to be made accountable for him with the father-son bidding come the draft,” Villani said.

“In the past six to 12 months, he has really started to grow into his body.

“He is starting to understand how hard it is and how hard you have to work to play at the next level.

“His talent is untapped, he has a massive ceiling in terms of where he could potentially get to.

“He just does AFL things, there are things he does in games, I call it having the ‘Brown brain’.

“Dad had it, Cal clearly has it and I think Tyler has it somewhere in there, too.”

Brown averaged seven disposals from his first three TAC Cup games but collected 16 touches and kicked a goal against Bendigo, providing further glimpses of his talent.

“There was just something and whether or not we could get it out of him we weren’t sure, but we’re starting to see the wheel turn now,” Villani said.

“His movement and ability in and out of traffic is similar to Cal — his footy brain to make good decisions.”

Tyler came to the Eastern Ranges’ program last year and is eligible for November’s draft, when Collingwood could select him as a father-son pick.

Callum was taken with pick No.35 in last year’s draft, with Collingwood selecting him after North Melbourne put in a bid.

Tyler last played football with Callum at Templestowe Junior Football Club (formerly Doncaster Heights) in the under-9s.

The next time he plays alongside his brother could be in the black and white stripes.

“It would be awesome playing alongside Cal,” Tyler said.

“It was pretty cool seeing Cal achieve his dream he had been working so hard for since he started playing footy.

“Watching Cal go out there inspires me to do my best and see how far I can go with my footy.

“We’ll see what happens towards the end of the year.”

Tyler is set to spend more time through the midfield at Marcellin College and Eastern Ranges in the second half of the year.

“I think I use my speed well and I have pretty good agility so I can take the game on a bit,” he said.

“Every game I am getting better and better and learning more about different roles.

“I’ve been put into the midfield a bit more, which is good.”

Yeah fair enough.

Just think people (not saying you) in this thread are really over reacting to some comments and the comparison.

Loki it's using Blair as the comparison subject that is controversial. Blair is a limited player with a proven low ceiling. By liking Callum's attributes to Blair you could be unintentionally casting those limitations on him too.

Personally, I view Callum as having a much higher ceiling than Blair but I've watched him play junior footy. Where he will be vastly superior is his decision making under pressure. Take that to the bank.

Loki it's using Blair as the comparison subject that is controversial. Blair is a limited player with a proven low ceiling. By liking Callum's attributes to Blair you could be unintentionally casting those limitations on him too.

Personally, I view Callum as having a much higher ceiling than Blair but I've watched him play junior footy. Where he will be vastly superior is his decision making under pressure. Take that to the bank.
I'm not sure why it's controversial given Loki never even came close to saying that Callum's ceiling was similar to Blair's. In fact (without going back to check) I'm pretty sure he went out of his way to point out the opposite. It's not his fault that a few mouth breathers saw the name Blair in his post and went apeshit, even though the comparison was pretty fair given both player's current output. Seems to me like he, and we all, expect Brown to become a better player than Blair over the journey.

I'm not sure why it's controversial given Loki never even came close to saying that Callum's ceiling was similar to Blair's. In fact (without going back to check) I'm pretty sure he went out of his way to point out the opposite. It's not his fault that a few mouth breathers saw the name Blair in his post and went apeshit, even though the comparison was pretty fair given both player's current output. Seems to me like he, and we all, expect Brown to become a better player than Blair over the journey.

I'm sure Loki didn't say that Brown had the same limited potential as Blair, just pointing out that this is what might have triggered the reactions. :thumbsu::rainbow:

I'm sure Loki didn't say that Brown had the same limited potential as Blair, just pointing out that this is what might have triggered the reactions. :thumbsu::rainbow:
"Brown has a lot of the same attributes as Blair does currently"
upload_2017-6-16_8-58-49.jpeg

I did say he has better vision, awareness and evasion also that long term I'd back him to be a better ball winner in several posts. He also knows how to draw frees from his shorter stature then Blair (some players have a knack for it others don't). In saying all that he shares a lot of Blair traits (both positives attributes and negative ones) too.

I know why they foamed and the funny thing is most the foamers were also ones who foam over people that have wanted Blair dropped for a very long time, now it's a sin to even dare compare to him in anyway.

"Brown has a lot of the same attributes as Blair does currently"
View attachment 382028

tigger-worried-about-nothing-tigger-warning.jpg

I did say he has better vision, awareness and evasion also that long term I'd back him to be a better ball winner in several posts. He also knows how to draw frees from his shorter stature then Blair (some players have a knack for it others don't). In saying all that he shares a lot of Blair traits (both positives attributes and negative ones) too.

I know why they foamed and the funny thing is most the foamers were also ones who foam over people that have wanted Blair dropped for a very long time, now it's a sin to even dare compare to him in anyway.

Where I think Brown will be decidedly different to Blair is that he will be more effective with the pill once he has won it, especially when the stakes are high.

I've seen him lift his performance when the pressure is on (e.g. finals games, albeit on a junior level), something that Blair hasn't been able to do.

FWIW you did make it clear that you saw important differences between the 2, but you can't always rely that people will read your posts as they're intended (especially in this forum).

Whether or not Callum is like Blair is not as important as ensuring Brown ends up playing in a flag just like Blair has. Whatever the rating of Blair is, reality is that he is a premiership player. I'm hoping Brown (and Daicos) end up doing the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see him play against Port but will depend on who is coming back from injury after the bye.

Geelong built a dynasty on Father Son picks, admittedly they go them for nothing but a quartet of Daicrowns at any price would set us up nicely for the future.

I agree... but remember how three Clokes and two Shaws yielded only two long term players (in fairness, Rhys also ended up having a good career). We certainly need some father son luck along the way...

I agree... but remember how three Clokes and two Shaws yielded only two long term players (in fairness, Rhys also ended up having a good career). We certainly need some father son luck along the way...

We've got Moore.:)

He could soon be joined by the current Daicos and Brown, and then the younger Daicos and Brown...

Nick Daicos could end up being the best of the lot.

We could be awash with father-sons.:D

130416_swan2010.jpg

untitledddddd.png

It was 3x Shaws

He could soon be joined by the current Daicos and Brown, and then the younger Daicos and Brown...

There should be a few more on the horizon. Choco had boys, Wrighty, Crosisca, and a few others. I miss those F/S threads.

Massive Call on a Young Kid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back