Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to finally see some sense in selection over the weekend with Brown DROPPED

Our record this year -

With C.Brown playing: 3-5 (37.5%)
Without C.Brown playing: 10-2 (83.3%)

Hard to win with 21 AFL standard contributors in our line-up to start off the game (before any injuries incurred)!

Keep developing in the 2's buddy...

Right, so it's Brown's fault we lost those games...

Great to finally see some sense in selection over the weekend with Brown DROPPED

Our record this year -

With C.Brown playing: 3-5 (37.5%)
Without C.Brown playing: 10-2 (83.3%)

Hard to win with 21 AFL standard contributors in our line-up to start off the game (before any injuries incurred)!

Keep developing in the 2's buddy...

I think your answer may lie here

Collingwood win loss against teams in the top half of the ladder 1:7
Collingwood win loss against teams in the bottom half of the ladder 12:0

Browns win loss when playing in matches against top half teams 0:5
Browns win loss when playing in matches against bottom half teams 3:0

Your stats above are meaningless. The wins and losses when Brown is in the team are principally related to who we have played. To even suggest that Brown v say Aish or whoever in the team significantly effects our win loss ratio is intuitively untrue.

Same as Tom Mitchell. Inside mid.

Really?? Sam Mitchell had the best first 3-5 steps I’ve ever seen and possibly the best skills out of a contest since Diesel. Brown may develop the tools to become an AFL player, but he doesn’t have any of the weapons that made Sam Mitchell the champion he was.

If I’m looking for a comparison along the lines of this it’s Dalhaus. A really solid 5-15 list fit that gives you something on both sides of the game, isn’t a core mid rotation, is more a component of a strong team and can play a role if you’re down on numbers in game. Sort of like what Wellingham was.

Realistically long term there’s only enough room for one of Brown and Daicos unless something unexpected happens within the midfield rotations. The brutal truth to me is that Goodyear was cut on the back of slightly less output and 2019 is crunch, IMO.

No, not at this stage.

Sorry Maggie.

I know he’s just not your favourite
No need to be sorry, you are entitled to your opinion.

I just have different expectations to a player that has only had a handful of games but shows promise to a 190 game player (and not prepared to lower the bar for sympathy).

Not easily pleased as so many others.

Last edited:
No need to be sorry, you are entitled to your opinion.

I just have different expectations to a player that has only had a handful of games but shows promise to a 190 game player (and not prepared to lower the bar for sympathy).

Not easily pleases as so many others.

You had my support until Brown’s performance v Sydney. I didn’t care that he was quiet and made mistakes that’s what happens to developing players, but he hung back big time in that contest and seriously looked out of his depth in terms of competitiveness.

I don’t believe Mayne is best 22 and would have Daicos in front of him, however Brown has slipped in my eyes with that performance. It was bad in terms of what he needs to have in his game and what I consider non negotiable...

You had my support until Brown’s performance v Sydney. I didn’t care that he was quiet and made mistakes that’s what happens to developing players, but he hung back big time in that contest and seriously looked out of his depth in terms of competitiveness.

I don’t believe Mayne is best 22 and would have Daicos in front of him, however Brown has slipped in my eyes with that performance. It was bad in terms of what he needs to have in his game and what I consider non negotiable...
That is fair enough and I agree.

At this stage we are still in contention to play finals so would not be inclined to change anything (chemistry) however if we weren't, I would perverse with Daicos and keep trying Brown as they are the future and need to be tested and learn. Think we will see mistakes they make and hopefully are pulled aside and learn from them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to be honest and say I am not liking what I am seeing at the moment with Brown.

Disposal is an obvious issue. There are also probably a few concerns about his ability to cover the ground and his pace in general, although he does have a pretty good first step in a tight situation.

My biggest worry though is that he looks a bit timid out there. In his few AFL games, he didn't go hard enough at a few contests. Then I saw him at VFL on the weekend, and I reckon he went missing in the wet conditions and didn't look like he wanted to get his hands dirty.

It's very early days, and he is a young kid coming up against much bigger men. Perhaps he will develop, and get over some of these issues.

Based on the small sample we have, I have my doubts.

He seems like a pretty dedicated kid though, and he definitely has some ability.

At 178cm, lacks height, lacks pace, poor disposal, lacks vision and lacks kicking penetration, hopefully the club can make something out of him but ATM he looks like a bust

At 178cm, lacks height, lacks pace, poor disposal, lacks vision and lacks kicking penetration, hopefully the club can make something out of him but ATM he looks like a bust
And yet in his early games this year he seemed to have good awareness, courage and his disposal by hand was often excellent. I and others thought he showed real promise. Then his deficiencies such as lack of size and shallow kicking depth became more apparent as his form fell away and he was banished to the VFL. Ultimately a big bodied inside mid like Sier will be favoured by selectors so it's kind of hard to see Brown cementing a regular spot in the near future. Strange how some players can seem great prospects until poor form highlights their limitations.

Really?? Sam Mitchell had the best first 3-5 steps I’ve ever seen and possibly the best skills out of a contest since Diesel. Brown may develop the tools to become an AFL player, but he doesn’t have any of the weapons that made Sam Mitchell the champion he was.

If I’m looking for a comparison along the lines of this it’s Dalhaus. A really solid 5-15 list fit that gives you something on both sides of the game, isn’t a core mid rotation, is more a component of a strong team and can play a role if you’re down on numbers in game. Sort of like what Wellingham was.

Realistically long term there’s only enough room for one of Brown and Daicos unless something unexpected happens within the midfield rotations. The brutal truth to me is that Goodyear was cut on the back of slightly less output and 2019 is crunch, IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. Personally having watched him I don't think he is going to make it. Daicos has more upside than Brown IMO, so 2019 shapes as a big year.

And yet in his early games this year he seemed to have good awareness, courage and his disposal by hand was often excellent. I and others thought he showed real promise. Then his deficiencies such as lack of size and shallow kicking depth became more apparent as his form fell away and he was banished to the VFL. Ultimately a big bodied inside mid like Sier will be favoured by selectors so it's kind of hard to see Brown cementing a regular spot in the near future. Strange how some players can seem great prospects until poor form highlights their limitations.
And how quick we judge.
As if an instant glance determines the whole future.
Young types can tire in their first few seasons- it's sapping.
Not everyone is looking elite like Stephenson straight away.

We will know Callum's true career but in a few years...
and we will know after a good few pre seasons.
Good stock he comes from.
Great attitude, wants to learn.
At worst he's nice depth.

Personally I'm not sure his size will help but let's wait and see.
As I recall call Gavin was weedy in the early days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back