Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually thought he really cracked in last night and did a few nice things - The problem is, and always has been his kicking.
He actually looks scared to kick the footy, with an instinct to get the ball and run backwards to feed the ball out to others.

Last night there were several occasions where he could have continued running forward but elected to nonsensically run back into traffic.

The frustrating thing is, on occasions he can look great, weaving through traffic, but ultimately he doesn't have the size to play the only role he is suited for, as an inside midfielder.

From what i have seen from Tyler Brown, he actually plays a very similar way. Given his bigger frame, he can grow into that inside midfielder role and still thrive despite the kicking issues. Unfortunately i cannot see the same for Callum.

I actually thought he really cracked in last night and did a few nice things - The problem is, and always has been his kicking.
He actually looks scared to kick the footy, with an instinct to get the ball and run backwards to feed the ball out to others.

Last night there were several occasions where he could have continued running forward but elected to nonsensically run back into traffic.

The frustrating thing is, on occasions he can look great, weaving through traffic, but ultimately he doesn't have the size to play the only role he is suited for, as an inside midfielder.

From what i have seen from Tyler Brown, he actually plays a very similar way. Given his bigger frame, he can grow into that inside midfielder role and still thrive despite the kicking issues. Unfortunately i cannot see the same for Callum.

It's not just his kicking though, it's also his size.

For a midget, he gets caught with the ball constantly, and is too small to effectively tackle big mids from other teams. Also he cannot compete for marks...

I just can't see how he ever makes it as a forward with such terrible kicking and weak tackles

I thought he was as slippery as an eel last night, did a great job of getting through the traffic. I still think tagger might be his best role at this stage. Take the pressure off him to execute at a high level.

I thought he was as slippery as an eel last night, did a great job of getting through the traffic. I still think tagger might be his best role at this stage. Take the pressure off him to execute at a high level.

Agree with this. He's also a lot younger and shows a lot more than Thomas and a few others, he stays in the team.

Bang on. He's tiny (178cm and 77kgs), elusive in spurts and then immobile in others, obsessed with handballing and completely inept at kicking. But he sometimes shows some real ferocity at the ball. Brown and Daicos are similarly sized, yet with only Brown do I feel as if he's physically inept. Daicos is quick and skillful, Brown is often slow and unskilled. I rate Tyler higher for sure.

If Brown could kick it at least 50m and just clear it maybe he could play back, but I don't see it. Unsure of his future

He was good through traffic - pity he didn't nail that goal

Tagging would be good for him to learn from the best opposition mids and lower pressure

Agree with Kappa's concern though about his strength when tackling

Hard to see him manhandling someone like Ducker the way Levi does

And fear the Bont or Crippa would upend him

Was last night the night the Daicos went passed Brown in the pecking order?

Both lads are coming along nicely for mine and will still have their ups and downs, Daics seems to be having a breakout season, both have plenty of improvement in them. With developing kids its about maturing and gaining experience, building strength and tank and learning to get your worst game closer to your best game, gaining in confidence to take the game on and finding that level and consistency.

Early to mid last year C Brown was well ahead of Daicos. Brown’s pressure was much higher, he was kicking goals...

Brown looked viable as a long term pressure forward...

I had written Daicos off last year. He always had the smoothness, smarts and kicking... but he looked like he couldn’t cover the territory, didn’t know which option to take and had little impact on the ground.

How times have changed...

Early to mid last year C Brown was well ahead of Daicos. Brown’s pressure was much higher, he was kicking goals...

I had written Daicos off last year. He always had the smoothness, smarts and kicking... but he looked like he couldn’t cover the territory, didn’t know which option to take and had little impact on the ground.

Indeed. It was too early to consign Daics to the dustbin last year, but plenty tried anyway.

It's too early to consign Cal to the dustbin, but he's become a target for the disgruntled.

He frustrates, but he's worth persisting with for now.

Agreed - I also thought Daicos was a fair way off the pace and behind Brown. That Daicos is looking more assured is remarkable - is a nice kick and evasive around the ground.

I like Callum's thirst for the contest, but his kicking is ordinary. At his size needs some more tricks - Tyler at least has a bit more size about him.

Hoping Callum can find that bit extra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have noted, he needs to back himself to kick it if he gets clear, as invariably when he doesn't he just ends up hand balling it back to someone who is under pressure and we turn it over anyway. At least if he kicked it and turned it over, the turn over would be further down the ground.

Seems a bit of a coaching issue to me....his line coach and the senior coach need to reinforce to him that they want him to kick it more when on the run, and to back his skills more. He will never get to where he wants to as a player, if he keeps freezing when it is his turn to pull the trigger.

He's about the same size as Lachie Neale and Dayne Zorko......what's size got to do with it? Opportunity however......

He's about the same size as Lachie Neale and Dayne Zorko......what's size got to do with it? Opportunity however......
There is a bit of a difference with those guys though. Neale is nearly 10kgs heavier than him, and Zorko is much stronger.

For what it's worth, Zorko didn't debut until he was 23 (older than C. Brown is now). I reckon he needs to get a bit stronger, but give him time I say.

Definitely needs more confidence

There is a bit of a difference with those guys though. Neale is nearly 10kgs heavier than him, and Zorko is much stronger.

For what it's worth, Zorko didn't debut until he was 23 (older than C. Brown is now). I reckon he needs to get a bit stronger, but give him time I say.

Definitely needs more confidence

So you're saying there's a chance??? Lol

lol, maybe you should read posts and not just highlight one sentence.

Size is not just height, Neale and Zorko have much bigger frames and are much more powerful players, I am not at all saying people Cal's height can't make it, plenty have and plenty will.

Both those guys you named are dynamic midfielders, inside but mainly outside. Cal Brown does not have the outside game of an AFL level footballer. His biggest strength is winning a contested footy and distributing - EG: Sier.

lol, maybe you should read posts and not just highlight one sentence.

Size is not just height, Neale and Zorko have much bigger frames and are much more powerful players, I am not at all saying people Cal's height can't make it, plenty have and plenty will.

Both those guys you named are dynamic midfielders, inside but mainly outside. Cal Brown does not have the outside game of an AFL level footballer. His biggest strength is winning a contested footy and distributing - EG: Sier.

Actually, I did read the entire post where you waffled on about him "looking scared to kick" and "running back into traffic" but I synthesised your post down to the highlighted line because it said ULTIMATELY (meaning when alls said and done)"ultimately he doesn't have the size to play the only role he is suited for, as an inside midfielder."

So what you said was he's basically an inside mid (though he's not big enough to be one) and that's the only role he's suited for.

Now I thought about that for a while and I thought, yeah he's not as big as some BUT there are other small mids playing and I thought of the ones that reminded me of Callum's body shape. Lachie Neale and Dayne Zorko sprang to mind as did Dion Prestia and I actually remember all of them struggling early on when playing against Swan and Pendles and Beams, we just pushed them around as young blokes.

Now they're all elite mids. They've all done the physical work to build stronger bodies and they're reaping the rewards. Makes me think that someone with Brown's drive to compete and to improve might just make a footballer yet. My proviso is that he needs opportunity (as do all young mids) and in our side with Pendles and Sidey still dominant that opportunity has been scarce. Maybe if he gets a few games in his preferred position he might show people more than he can playing as a defensive forward.

So...I only highlighted one sentence because that was your conclusive argument.

Why are we suggesting him as a tagger?

He isn’t very strong physically. He doesn’t have much body size. He doesn’t tackle great. I don’t think he has an elite tank. We might as well promote Josh Thomas to the tagger role too.

If Brown doesn’t have the skills for any particular role, he shouldn’t be in the team.

I want to think that Brown has some elusiveness in him to warrant selection. His decision making just needs to be better. I can accept a Daniel Cross style “handpass first” type of player if the handpasses are good and actually helps the team.

At the moment, Brown’s silhouettes into traffic and handpasses backward isn’t really helping the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Actually, I did read the entire post where you waffled on about him "looking scared to kick" and "running back into traffic" but I synthesised your post down to the highlighted line because it said ULTIMATELY (meaning when alls said and done)"ultimately he doesn't have the size to play the only role he is suited for, as an inside midfielder."

So what you said was he's basically an inside mid (though he's not big enough to be one) and that's the only role he's suited for.

Now I thought about that for a while and I thought, yeah he's not as big as some BUT there are other small mids playing and I thought of the ones that reminded me of Callum's body shape. Lachie Neale and Dayne Zorko sprang to mind as did Dion Prestia and I actually remember all of them struggling early on when playing against Swan and Pendles and Beams, we just pushed them around as young blokes.

Now they're all elite mids. They've all done the physical work to build stronger bodies and they're reaping the rewards. Makes me think that someone with Brown's drive to compete and to improve might just make a footballer yet. My proviso is that he needs opportunity (as do all young mids) and in our side with Pendles and Sidey still dominant that opportunity has been scarce. Maybe if he gets a few games in his preferred position he might show people more than he can playing as a defensive forward.

So...I only highlighted one sentence because that was your conclusive argument.

so.... i am going to highlight this one sentence, which seems to be your 'conclusive' argument - comparing him to dynamic midfielders that he doesn't resemble. All of those guys are impactful on the outside which is a massive reason why they are so highly regarded. Brown is VAFA level with his foot skills which is why these comparisons are absurd. Yes, Prestia, Neale and Zorko are high clearance and contested possession players, but they also do alot damage on the outside of the contest.

As i said, Brown is suited to the inside midfielder role given his strengths, which is extracting the footy. Think guys like Cunnington, Kennedy, Adams... or in days past, Luke Ball. These players make their money predominantly on the inside of the contest to make up for outside deficiencies.

Brown is listed at 177cm and weighs 76kg. I don't think you can name another player in the AFL playing as an inside midfielder, at that height and weight with the deficiencies Brown has with his kicking skills.

Maybe if he puts on another 5-6 KG's of muscle he can potentially make it in the that type or role, but at this stage he does not have that size to compete in the middle of the park at AFL level.

Brown needs to be kept in VFL and given a weights program, especially his legs.

Once he has improved his leg strength that he can consistently kick 45 metres, then he can be considered for AFL.

His kicking limit is currently about 30-35 metres and that is disgraceful for a player at the elite level.

Brown is at his best in traffic ( more midfield time ) when dishing hand passes out to the runners going pass, very good with quick hands. Really needs to back himself when going for goal, ALWAYS tries to guide it through instead of kicking through the ball. Too cautious, needs to back himself more when opportunity presents.

After being disheartened by weeks of poor play, I looked up Brown’s 2019 highlights..

His first reactions didn’t seem to be “look for handpass” or “start spinning around” (maybe that’s the benefit of a highlights pack).

There were immediate snaps for goal, running forward after receiving the ball, I also heard a 48metre goal in there somewhere (although no idea where the ball bounced before crossing the goal line).

What happened? Are team instructions getting in the way?

Perspective?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back