Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Who’s he going to push out though? Adams? Treloar? Pendles? Sidey? Even Sier is well ahead of him now. I have no doubt he’ll become a capable footballer but I don’t see a spot for him without injuries.

He's only one injury to a small out of the team at the moment and still very much on the improve. And whilst I think it's unlikely that he will become a better footballer in the next two years than anyone you've listed, I don't think that is an issue at all to his long term future at the club. Whilst we've had a shocking run with injuries to our defenders this year, our midfield has had a pretty decent run, so I view him as really important depth and think that injuries are inevitable and will ensure that he gets a fair bit of senior time over the next 2 years. It's at that point that we and he will need to see where he's at and contemplate his future.

Fair enough, although if hes not established in the 22 within 24 months then almost certainly he hasnt made the grade after four seasons.

You have kinda written him off unless you think hes going to make the grade in season 5. If hes still on the list by then.
That’s not true. He may find himself looking for more opportunity elsewhere. That doesn’t mean he hasn’t made the grade, but it’s reflective of the quality we have on our list of mids. You’re the only one here who’s mentioned writing him off.

Callum is a great addition to our list; a good young man with a great Collingwood pedigree.

The strength of our midfield will keep him in the 2s for another year of 2 but that's fine. Logically speaking, our draft picks will not offer us a player with anymore potential than he has.

Letting him develop alongside his brother and Bulleen team-mate (Daics) over the next couple of years is money in the bank. Some kids need time (except the bear).

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am still not 100% Sold on Him but he looks his best when he uses his Speed
With his father's legacy here it must be hard to be faced with the expectations.

I have never heard even the most dire so-called supporter have anything but praise and love for his dad.

Gavin casts a long shadow and it must be a cold and lonely walk for the lad but he is shaping up well.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
With his father's legacy here it must be hard to be faced with the expectations.

I have never heard even the most dire so-called supporter have anything but praise and love for his dad.

Gavin casts a long shadow and it must be a cold and lonely walk for the lad but he is shaping up well.
Both the Brown Boys have wonderful attitudes and work ethic.
Good eggs.

Whatever happens, they’ll have given it their best shots.

I really don't understand why people think this way. When we look at the number of father sons in the AFL, it seems a clear advantage to have a had a father who was successful in the AFL.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I really don't understand why people think this way. When we look at the number of father sons in the AFL, it seems a clear advantage to have a had a father who was successful in the AFL.
I think it’s more about following a club legend. Sometimes expectations can be too high.
On the other hand, having a successful father at AFL likely tops you the balance of being recruited if it’s a line ball decision between a couple of kids.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Saintly has the right of it - Gavin looms large for us older supporters - courage personified and instrumental in our premiership year - lifting us up out of our long trough into the sunlight again.

Gavin may not have been the most skillful player but by Christ he was the bravest . . . and he was a natural leader.

Hard to live up to that in the goldfish bowl that is the Collingwood football club.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sounds like he had a decent game.

At half time he was one of the best before being rested.......he did come back on for Elliott later.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
At half time he was one of the best before being rested.......he did come back on for Elliott later.
Spot for n there CFC.
Until half time he was killing it. Really good value for a s.
Then the inevitable rest (players being run through set times I’d imagine) with returning later.

As a individual actor for young players at home, Callum was really terrific. Then there was the play where you show why you’re an A grade type: Steele Sidebottom in the first half.

It’s a good fun juxtaposition between an emerging type v an established A grade type.

I think it’s more about following a club legend. Sometimes expectations can be too high.
On the other hand, having a successful father at AFL likely tops you the balance of being recruited if it’s a line ball decision between a couple of kids.
Saintly has the right of it - Gavin looms large for us older supporters - courage personified and instrumental in our premiership year - lifting us up out of our long trough into the sunlight again.

Gavin may not have been the most skillful player but by Christ he was the bravest . . . and he was a natural leader.

Hard to live up to that in the goldfish bowl that is the Collingwood football club.
Obviously living up to ridiculous expectations that the son will automatically be as good as bis great father happens all the time, but I can't think of too many examples of father sons who have performed significantly below their own talent level. So I don't see much evidence of over the top external expectations affecting their football career. I reckon that occurs more often with the expectation on early draft picks, because often the expectations are internal.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back