Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Wow I didn’t know he could move through traffic like that and he’s definitely faster than I’d thought as well.
One passage of play was very, (dare I say it) Sam Mitchell esque

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
The development of Brown and Daicos and continued improvement of Sier are good reason to look at trading a couple of mids out at the end of the year to hopefully get into the draft relatively early. Players like Aish and Broomhead back to SA if they can maintain some value through the year and one of the best 22 mids like Thomas should give us some draft currency to get into the top 10 picks.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
The development of Brown and Daicos and continued improvement of Sier are good reason to look at trading a couple of mids out at the end of the year to hopefully get into the draft relatively early. Players like Aish and Broomhead back to SA if they can maintain some value through the year and one of the best 22 mids like Thomas should give us some draft currency to get into the top 10 picks.

Aish, Broomhead or Thomas will not get us near the top 10 in the draft.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Mid last year, he looked timid. So I had huge concerns for him. In a couple of games, he didn't attack contests hard enough or put his head over it. I remember a few soccer kicks off the ground where he should have put his body in.

I think the turning point for him was the VFL final he starred in last year. He seems to have carried that form into this year.

At his size, and with his limited foot-skills, he needs to be a bull-terrier who is clean at ground level, and also has a bit of dash. He is showing all those signs so far. He is on the fringe of selection at the moment, which is a huge achievement considering I had him a long way down the pecking order at the start of the pre-season.

He may need to rely on an injury to get into the side, but once he breaks in he may be very hard to remove.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think he's a fair way ahead of Daics. To me, it's still unclear what role is the right one for Daicos. With Brown, I think he's just about ready to go, unfortunately for him, but fortunately for us, they're a tough group of mids to crack into.

I don't actually think there is much in it at the moment but I think Daic's additional skill will elevate him above Cal. As you say though, Cal unlikely to force his way into our midfield group where as there does seem to be more potential for Daic's to grab a HF/wing/HB role sometime this season. Time will tell.

I don't actually think there is much in it at the moment but I think Daic's additional skill will elevate him above Cal. As you say though, Cal unlikely to force his way into our midfield group where as there does seem to be more potential for Daic's to grab a HF/wing/HB role sometime this season. Time will tell.

In the short term, it's a fair queue for all of those roles too. In terms of game time this year, I suspect it'll come down to injuries for either of them to get a look in.

I was querying long term with Daicos's role. To me, he needs to develop physically, as I currently view him as not enough endurance to cement himself as an outside mid, not enough strength for half back and not ideal pace for small forward.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the short term, it's a fair queue for all of those roles too. In terms of game time this year, I suspect it'll come down to injuries for either of them to get a look in.

I was querying long term with Daicos's role. To me, he needs to develop physically, as I currently view him as not enough endurance to cement himself as an outside mid, not enough strength for half back and not ideal pace for small forward.
To be fair his dad didn't have electric pace as a small forward - nippy - but not astonishing.

No argument but lack of pace can be compensated for by awareness and poise - which come with experience. Will be interesting to watch his development.

I think that with Daicos a lot is going to come down to us making the right calls regarding his development. I see him being limited in terms of roles do to not being physically ideal and am hoping that his physical development is focussed on his endurance, because I see outside mid as his most likely to succeed role.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yeah I appreciate that but I actually think Daic's had less exposure to the junior pathways so may well be a year behind in terms of his development relative to Cal. He's taken big strides this preseason and I'd expect he still has a lot of upside in terms of his development.

I'm also not overly concerned about his capacity to play a more inside role. Goes when he has to and has shown some good signs in terms of vision and creativity. Whether he takes the next step is largely between his ears.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Two me, all three boys (Daics, Callum, Tyler) have shown some attributes, skill sets or, traits if-you-will of having the potential to become very good footballers, you can certainly see why the club decided to pull the trigger on all of them. However, they are very young boys who are going to take plenty of time to develop and it is only if their development continues at a solid and steady pace will they then go on to become regular senior players and perhaps even champions. I remember guys like Heater Shaw, Dane Swan and a few others further back being slow burners in the VFL/Reserves and their being plenty of speculation about whether they would make it or not and those two turned out alright after taking 3 or 4 seasons to hit their peaks. The odds are heavily stacked against all three making it but I would not be one bit surprised if they all do.

Last edited:

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think that with Daicos a lot is going to come down to us making the right calls regarding his development. I see him being limited in terms of roles do to not being physically ideal and am hoping that his physical development is focussed on his endurance, because I see outside mid as his most likely to succeed role.
Mmm he is never going to be a grunt player agreed better to focus on his dual handed ability - perhaps as first out, that player that takes the short handball from congestion and uses vision and hand skill to send the free player away with clear possession.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
No argument but lack of pace can be compensated for by awareness and poise - which come with experience. Will be interesting to watch his development.
Krakouer was as slow as they come but always seemed to find a way to get away from his opponents or hunt them down.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Aish, Broomhead or Thomas will not get us near the top 10 in the draft.
Not seperately but 2 and a second rpounder in 2 deals might and is the third is needed then I'd be up for it subject to the actual pick number and anticpated quality at that pick.

Just as a for instance, our second pick and Aish and/or Broomhead to Adelaide/Port and an on-trade with Thomas to Qld. Happy to get loose change on top if we can or pay it if we must. Also happy to consider swapping the names. Greenwood is one I'd consider. Phillips for the right price. Not because isn't a good player with more upside but because he is a good player with currency and we can cover his loss. I'd really like to keep the top end quiality comming onto the list becuase if we finish high for the next 5 years we won't have much from the pointy end of the draft to add the list as Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Beams etc hit the downhill slope. Pendlebury might already be there.

We've traded out a lot of first rounders in recent years and we have a glut of mids appraoching full development. If we play them all we stifle the development of Brown and Daicos. If we play Brown & Daicos we devalue the likes of the 3 mentioned. We should have made the move IMO this off season but we definately should sound out suitors during the latter part of this year.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Aish and Broomhead worth a Marley Williams-esque pick 105 deal. Thomas a mid to late 2nd rounder I'd say... but I'd much rather keep him than sell for that price.

Reckon with most of Broomhead, Wills, Wells, Murray likely gone at years end... that through attrition there may be from 2020 more future opportunities for Brown and Daicos outside of injury cover.

Hope the boys are patient though, otherwise pies will have to deal with suitors elsewhere who will offer them more opportunity.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Really liked his game on Monday and I can see him squeezing some early games in the seniors. Just got to keep feeding him those little tastes until his VFL form starts demanding selection. I've been bullish all along, I think he can get there

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
If either can force their way in without injuries, happy days, they’ll be going ok.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Not seperately but 2 and a second rpounder in 2 deals might and is the third is needed then I'd be up for it subject to the actual pick number and anticpated quality at that pick.

Just as a for instance, our second pick and Aish and/or Broomhead to Adelaide/Port and an on-trade with Thomas to Qld. Happy to get loose change on top if we can or pay it if we must. Also happy to consider swapping the names. Greenwood is one I'd consider. Phillips for the right price. Not because isn't a good player with more upside but because he is a good player with currency and we can cover his loss. I'd really like to keep the top end quiality comming onto the list becuase if we finish high for the next 5 years we won't have much from the pointy end of the draft to add the list as Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Beams etc hit the downhill slope. Pendlebury might already be there.

We've traded out a lot of first rounders in recent years and we have a glut of mids appraoching full development. If we play them all we stifle the development of Brown and Daicos. If we play Brown & Daicos we devalue the likes of the 3 mentioned. We should have made the move IMO this off season but we definately should sound out suitors during the latter part of this year.

I'm sorry but trading just doesn't work that way. You can't package up a random collection of moderately to low value players and expect rolled gold.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

Ridiculously too early to be making trade calls and assuming high values for fringe players.

The list will change at the end of the year as it always does.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm sorry but trading just doesn't work that way. You can't package up a random collection of moderately to low value players and expect rolled gold.
Of course it does and has. Trading players wanted by another club for a pick or upgraded pick is commonplace. Ontrading or further trading to upgrade that or another pick likewise. I don't know whether Adelaide or Port would be intertested in our SA boys but Adelaide in particular have been clear that they want more locals and less Victorian city boys on their list. That perhaps gives them more currency than they might otherwise have. That's why I floated these 2. It doesn't have to be these 2 and it doesn't have to be to SA clubs. Ditto Thomas to Qld clubs. The point is to get a better price by leveraging retention concerns but these are just examples of pleyers I think we can do without that might have particualr currncy elsewhere. It's a tough ask to trade into the top 10 picks so I for a minute expect it wold be easy to do - which is why you would need to start in principle discussions sooner rather than later - which 100% happens every year be it club or manager initiated.

Back