Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

If you say so and why is that in any way pertinent to the subject other than beating your own drum??

GAJ is a pale shadow of his old man and certainly has never been anywhere near the game changing beast that his dad was.
Steady up. Just pointing out you made a factual error.

Get off the angry pills

If you say so and why is that in any way pertinent to the subject other than beating your own drum??

GAJ is a pale shadow of his old man and certainly has never been anywhere near the game changing beast that his dad was.
No one I've seen is close to Senior at his best, but it depends on how highly you rate consistency, particularly of effort, whether you rate anyone since him above him.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

good thing that the coaches, umpires and players all disagree with you. If senior played against modern defences that actually had tactics and zones he wouldnt kick anywhere near what he did. Conversly, if u put Jnr in an 80s amatuer suburban competition he'd probably get 45 touches and 4-5 goals per game

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
No one I've seen is close to Senior at his best, but it depends on how highly you rate consistency, particularly of effort, whether you rate anyone since him above him.
That's just the point I'm trying to make here there were better than Snr before him - Hayden Bunton was a giant - before my time. Bobby Skilton a true champion rover that I had the privelge to watch live in the twilight of his career was immense.

Both of those players would thrive in today's environment without the physical abuse that was so often a feature of every game in their era.

Either of them would tear GAJ to shreds.

Still he is a fine player and deserving of his accolades - just not the second coming as some have been convinced by the half witted sports media.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Make no mistake please I'm far from belittling GAJ or current day champions but they play in a cossetted environment, protected from brutish physical combat. They are far more skilled but simply have no concept of what it is like to put their physical well being behind the cost of winning a hard ball. I'm not talking a push in the back or a whack across the chops - I'm talking literally ridden into the ground with the spurs raking and smashed with the knees to the kidneys. I've seen it first hand and it's no joke.

Players of earlier eras understood that they were fair game when trying to win the ball, often wide open to physical punishment - which was never held in abeyance.

Only a select few of today's modern game champions could prevail physically against such men, much less dominate.

Those hard men were champions of a different, much higher caliber.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Watching TAC I liked Brown over Daicos. Then year 1 Daicos showed some class and thought he would be better.

Brown is now a decent margin in front. He just needs to tidy up his hands in close (fumbles). Moves well in traffic and is good in the contest.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Was Kapps around in the 80's to actually SEE "senior"? Or is he just making it up from TV replays?
Seeing what blokes actually DID amidst the punishment they were taking and in the conditions they were playing in....gives you an understanding of WHY they were so good.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I remember waiting for Grundy, JDG, Langdon, Maynard and the like to reach the magic number - 50 games. Was confident about what would happen then.

Outshining his dad is a big call! But I’m also seeing a very different footballer with the youngster. While many of us are seeing a lot of Peter Moore in Darcy, I’m not seeing that in Cal. As one of the older posters who loved Gavin, I’m still not joining those dots. Maybe others with a better recollection of Rowdy will correct me.

Doubt Callan will get to Rowdy’s level. No criticism of Callum. Rowdy was just and out and out champion. Up there with Buckley and Daicos snr for me.

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Many players are at their most damaging in the back half of the ground because of their speed in rebounding the ball but they often lack the polish and finesse required within 80m of goal (eg. a Crisp or a Murray type).
However, I think Brown can become a real asset because of his ability within that 80m range to goal. His evasiveness, skill on either foot, and ability to hit up a leading target could become his trademark. The more games we can get into him the better.

good thing that the coaches, umpires and players all disagree with you. If senior played against modern defences that actually had tactics and zones he wouldnt kick anywhere near what he did. Conversly, if u put Jnr in an 80s amatuer suburban competition he'd probably get 45 touches and 4-5 goals per game

I agree that he wouldn't, but if Senior was as drilled and focussed as modern AFL players are, he'd kick more than anyone else does. Imagine how good Degoey would be, if he could launch, extend and mark like Elliott and also did every other part of the offensive game a fair bit better than he currently does it.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry that’s not even close.

There are differences to footy in the different decades, but to remotely suggest Senior wouldn’t kick anywhere near what he did is just not right. He’d easily out do Jeremy Cameron or Jack Reiwoldt, he’s just a far better player.
Junior is too small in the old days to hold down full forward.

ps interesting you like throwing in the 80s amateur surbarban competition. The competition then had a similar pool of players from similar areas over Australia with what we have today. Not much difference other than there are more teams now and placed around the country. Not sure the playing pool is much different.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Loved his game, thought he was amazing particularly in traffic.

Supercoach ranked him the 2nd best player on the ground behind Grundy, alot of influential touches, 50% of his possessions were contested and laid an equal game high 8 tackles along with 2 snags.

Obviously Cripps was better than him and DeGoey had a big impact, but that game was the breakout game i've seen him building towards.
If that's the type of performance we can expect week in week out in the future, lock in 200+ games.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
So far this season he has improved in every game, building nicely.
Better l must say so far , than l thought he would be.
Hope he gets even better.

I was always confident that he could be at least a "good ordinary footballer" but his poise in traffic is going next level at the moment. Has improved a lot YTD, that game against the Bombers where he fumbled everything aside, and I hope that improvement continues.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even some of our better ball users have deteriorated this year which speaks to me of a serious deficiency in the training / coaching panel.

Our obsession with the tax is ridiculous - we seriously need to invest in what our players need to become the best that they can be whilst our window is wide open.

As I understand it, the FD tax is currently levied at 100% (with potential to rise) so every $100k we spend over it costs $200k. No club is willing to pay it, not sure why we should.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, Junior. Without a doubt the greatest player of all time, he holds the record is a lot of important categories and went severely under the radar at Gold Coast.

Ablett has the most votes in brownlow history and has arguably won the best individual award (Leigh Matthews MVP) 5 times while the 2nd best has only won 2.

Ablett is comphrensively the most superior player the game has ever seen. He leads in both of the games greatest individual awards.

Nah. Had a great career but not even close to GOAT.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brownlow votes are far higher for midfield players with the bulk of the votes distributed that way these days.
Winners are winning now with 30 or so votes when past years past mid 20s was rare.

Leigh Matthews for quite a while has the most votes for a non winner.

Not doubting Ablett junior is a fantastic player but as an example Leigh Matthews was far superior. (Note word “far.”)

Leigh won the league goal kicking, scored over 900 goals (and roved a lot too). Not sure what awards were around in Leigh’s time but had he had the availability of awards today he’d collect them like shelling peas.
He was the power of De Goey and Millane combined with the dynamic of accuracy and skill.

If we were just using Brownlow votes what about Hayden Bunton who is the player to average more than 1 vote for games played. That’s unique.

A very simple question:

If you today had a choice to take to Collingwood (for say 13 - 15 years) of a career would you take (can only pick 1)

Leigh Matthews
Gary Ablett Snr
Gary Ablett Jnr
Tony Lockett
Wayne Carey

(For what it’s worth, Junior Gary I’d take as pick 5)

Easy, Carey.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep. For us it'd be Carey comfortably.

Yep, easily the best CHF I've ever seen, and did it consistently for so many years and against quality. What we wouldn't do to have 1 of those.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, Junior. Without a doubt the greatest player of all time, he holds the record is a lot of important categories and went severely under the radar at Gold Coast.

Ablett has the most votes in brownlow history and has arguably won the best individual award (Leigh Matthews MVP) 5 times while the 2nd best has only won 2.

Ablett is comphrensively the most superior player the game has ever seen. He leads in both of the games greatest individual awards.
Greatest of all time?
Nah.
He just needs to look at his dad to see an example of a better footballer.
GAJ is a gun. But not the greatest of all time.

dmoore30

All Australian
Dec 3, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Nah. Had a great career but not even close to GOAT.
Greatest of all time?
Nah.
He just needs to look at his dad to see an example of a better footballer.
GAJ is a gun. But not the greatest of all time.
The problem is people are stuck in the 80s/90s nostalgia to see Abletts greatness. If being the record holder in all of the games greatest individual awards isn't an indicator to his greatness then nothing will change the mind of people who grew up with football in another era.

Back