Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'm going to say is a hiding to nothing because ive been here before and its similar sentiment to what Kappa gets criticised for, but here goes.

Leg theory was one series. Those fields, they had to bowl down leg, modern batsmen would easily duck it. If they strayed onto off, they'd be put over slips for four.

Uncovered pitches did sometimes make the pitch deadly, but more often it made the ball stop, sit up and beg to be hit. Plus a good track back then, would be considered a road today and would receive an ICC warning.

I grew up in an era where Greg Chappel and Viv Richards were regularly thrown the ball and took wickets. Bowling like they did, they wouldn't get close to the ball now and there's no way they would get wickets. Extrapolate that standard of bowling back to Bradmans era and imagine some of the puddings he was served.

Bradman is an immortal for how dominant he was in his era, but that does not mean that he would be as dominant in this era, unless he improved at the same rate as the general standard has.
No cricket talk either please.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah ??

Lets see how they handle legside theory with no helmet protection.

Let's see them dominate the the opposition on rain affected uncovered pitches.

Most of them would fail, it took more than skill in those days - it took courage and the ability to outlast the opposition.

You're right Jonbe... every sportsman was far more skillful and brave back in your day....

Kids these days.. yada yada... not nostalgia btw...

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What I'm going to say is a hiding to nothing because ive been here before and its similar sentiment to what Kappa gets criticised for, but here goes.

Leg theory was one series. Those fields, they had to bowl down leg, modern batsmen would easily duck it. If they strayed onto off, they'd be put over slips for four.

Uncovered pitches did sometimes make the pitch deadly, but more often it made the ball stop, sit up and beg to be hit. Plus a good track back then, would be considered a road today and would receive an ICC warning.

I grew up in an era where Greg Chappel and Viv Richards were regularly thrown the ball and took wickets. Bowling like they did, they wouldn't get close to the ball now and there's no way they would get wickets. Extrapolate that standard of bowling back to Bradmans era and imagine some of the puddings he was served.

Bradman is an immortal for how dominant he was in his era, but that does not mean that he would be as dominant in this era, unless he improved at the same rate as the general standard has.
That and Bradman would be over 100 years old, so stands to reason his average would reduce a bit.
But even dead, he’s better than anyone else. Ever!

Callum Brown would be a spin bowler.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're right Jonbe... every sportsman was far more skillful and brave back in your day....

Kids these days.. yada yada... not nostalgia btw...
All you do is use the word “nostalgia.”
Yep, that’s the be all and end all.

Back to Callum Brown, for a young guy he shows respect, maturity, willing to learn off those with some experience.
Absorbs, has continual improvement.
Uses his talents for the good of those around him.

Who knows, he might be an example for all of us.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
All you do is use the word “nostalgia.”
Yep, that’s the be all and end all.

Back to Callum Brown, for a young guy he shows respect, maturity, willing to learn off those with some experience.
Absorbs, has continual improvement.
Uses his talents for the good of those around him.

Who knows, he might be an example for all of us.

You must of missed the rest of my other posts which went into detail.... There was actually quite a lot there :moustache:

He's definitely a good example for his younger brother, should be great for Tyler to see what it takes.

That and Bradman would be over 100 years old, so stands to reason his average would reduce a bit.
But even dead, he’s better than anyone else. Ever!

Callum Brown would be a spin bowler.
Going by Larwoods height, Callum Brown would be a tall fast bowler who got steepling bounce.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
I remember waiting for Grundy, JDG, Langdon, Maynard and the like to reach the magic number - 50 games. Was confident about what would happen then.

Outshining his dad is a big call! But I’m also seeing a very different footballer with the youngster. While many of us are seeing a lot of Peter Moore in Darcy, I’m not seeing that in Cal. As one of the older posters who loved Gavin, I’m still not joining those dots. Maybe others with a better recollection of Rowdy will correct me.
There's no suggestion on my part that he's anywhere near outshining his dad at this stage, nor will he necessarily ever. The point I was making is that given his level of experience (19 games) I think he's doing pretty well. Yes, he needs to improve in a few areas but I was simply making the observation that if he does improve those areas, he already has some pretty impressive tricks in the bag and could become a pretty exciting prospect. There are very few players who after 19 games would be nailing all of their set shots etc. so I fully expect that will improve with time but apart from his evasiveness, what impresses me is that when he decides to go, it's often a decision that players with similar levels of experience would not have the confidence to make and generally it's been the right decision.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok for the posters who remember Gavin Brown.

What are your recollections of young Gavin to Callum?

On my recollection, Gavin started quite thin.
Gavin on the eye was taller than Callum. Giving being 6 foot or so with Callum say 5’9” or so?

Gavin I also recall much more of a battering ram, even from early days.
Callum a bit more slippery but courage too.

What do others think?

NB: Gavin was one of my all time favourites.

Trivia: Gavin also is a twin, with a twin sister.

Physically, Gavin much more like Tyler.

I’ve been trying to find a point of difference to Callum that could make him a long term prospect rather than just a good ordinary player, and over the last couple of weeks he’s shown it. Absolute lightning hands. He might be small, but if he can bulk up a bit and push his way under packs he’ll be an invaluable asset as an inside mid who can shoot the ball out of congestion in a nanosecond.

I’ve now gone from being iffy on whether the kid can make it, to eagerly watching him develop, and hopefully bulk up to a point that he doesn’t get pushed around in packs too easily.

Outshining his dad is a big call! But I’m also seeing a very different footballer with the youngster. While many of us are seeing a lot of Peter Moore in Darcy, I’m not seeing that in Cal. As one of the older posters who loved Gavin, I’m still not joining those dots. Maybe others with a better recollection of Rowdy will correct me.
Nothing alike. Gavin could do it all, but his most outstanding attribute, outside of courage, was his marking. He had hands like Jamie Elliott.

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Callum is to Gavin what Gary Ablett Jnr is to Gary Ablett Snr; aka very different types while still maintaining some pretty special attributes their fathers had.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve been trying to find a point of difference to Callum that could make him a long term prospect rather than just a good ordinary player, and over the last couple of weeks he’s shown it. Absolute lightning hands. He might be small, but if he can bulk up a bit and push his way under packs he’ll be an invaluable asset as an inside mid who can shoot the ball out of congestion in a nanosecond.

I’ve now gone from being iffy on whether the kid can make it, to eagerly watching him develop, and hopefully bulk up to a point that he doesn’t get pushed around in packs too easily.

Lightning hands in close.
Ability to side step on a whim and get past an opponent
Courage in spades for his size. Big blokes in the afl could learn off him.
Doesn’t mind congestion footy in close. Thrives on it.
Great field kicking.

He is starting to get a goal sense also. Bit of work on distance of kicking and he will be set.

Is it genuinely possible to increase your distance of kicking once in the afl. Or it is what it is from the moment you enter the afl ?

If I had to pick a player of past he reminds me a little of , Luke Ball. Bally was never a huge kick but got the best out of his limitations.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lightning hands in close.
Ability to side step on a whim and get past an opponent
Courage in spades for his size. Big blokes in the afl could learn off him.
Doesn’t mind congestion footy in close. Thrives on it.
Great field kicking.

He is starting to get a goal sense also. Bit of work on distance of kicking and he will be set.

Is it genuinely possible to increase your distance of kicking once in the afl. Or it is what it is from the moment you enter the afl ?

If I had to pick a player of past he reminds me a little of , Luke Ball. Bally was never a huge kick but got the best out of his limitations.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’d say neat field kicking rather than great field kicking. He lacks penetration by foot, but he knows what he can do and plays to his limitations in regards to his kicking, so that’s a tick. His set shots are awful, but that seems to be an epidemic at the club right now.

His main strengths right now are his hands and his sidestep. There’s lots to work on still, but he’s going on the right direction, which is a big positive.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think it was his first goal he kicked and he half stepped the other way just to put his opponent off balance to get around him and snap the goal. You can’t teach that. That’s what got me excited.

I think it was his first goal he kicked and he half stepped the other way just to put his opponent off balance to get around him and snap the goal. You can’t teach that. That’s what got me excited.

The shimmies to create space and the acceleration to dart into it have come from seemingly nowhere and then the composure and decision making that was already there. He's turned from appearing a bit vanilla into a bloke with a pretty high ceiling.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood

Mitchell was just a good player early, Cal is showing some good signs and could breakout at some point..... or not, he’s having a crack and let’s see where he ends up.

I like Brown and have always been a fan and advocate to keep playing him. Why are you picking on me?:'(
Features in the coaches votes for the round which is a good effort.

Funny though, we've somehow ended up with 31 votes allocated in our game instead of the typical 30 :think:
Cripps gets and extra one same as Cartoon in the draft.

dmoore30

All Australian
Dec 3, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Lachie Neale, Brent Harvey, Tony Libbatore and Caleb Daniels are just a few shorties who are elite, not all turn out to be as average as Blair. I'm pretty optimistic about young Cals future, I've said all year i really admire the way he plays, hopefully a long term player for us.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Lachie Neale, Brent Harvey, Tony Libbatore and Caleb Daniels are just a few shorties who are elite, not all turn out to be as average as Blair.
Not all of them win a flag in their first year either.

Jarryd-Blair.jpg 181025_blair620.png

vicparksfinest

Senior List
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have been so impressed with Brons development this season, long term his best weapon could be delivery i50, beautiful side step out of the contest and we’ll weighted delivery to our leading targets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back