Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Except he wasn't. Langdon, before the injury, was woeful.

I keep reading about blokes being woeful, but I just can't see it myself. Woeful is a strange translation for - lost a contest or two, or made a mistake or didn't get much of the footy, but with our current team you can almost guarantee that his defensive application was outstanding.

I keep reading about blokes being woeful, but I just can't see it myself. Woeful is a strange translation for - lost a contest or two, or made a mistake or didn't get much of the footy, but with our current team you can almost guarantee that his defensive application was outstanding.
I'm sure if people watched a replay before potting someone they'd have a re-think in a lot of instances.
The best of both worlds is to go to the game and then watch a replay, (which I realise not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to do).

atomiser

Debutant
Mar 28, 2019
Out West
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was probably the worst player on the ground, and I said if he performs poorly again - he'll be in trouble at the selection table, which is true.

We're a club contending, spots are up for grabs - nothing is handed to you @ this level.
I agree he wasn't brilliant but he is getting a game ahead of the likes of Daicos, Broomhead, Crocker and Wells so he is entitled to be playing ATM, and don't forget that just because we are contending doesn't mean we stop developing players. I think he is well ahead of those 4 players so warrants selection. He might be in trouble when Adams, degoey and sier get going but for now we are getting games into him.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree he wasn't brilliant but he is getting a game ahead of the likes of Daicos, Broomhead, Crocker and Wells so he is entitled to be playing ATM, and don't forget that just because we are contending doesn't mean we stop developing players. I think he is well ahead of those 4 players so warrants selection. He might be in trouble when Adams, degoey and sier get going but for now we are getting games into him.
Of course, and that's my point - competition for spots is seriously hot, and with players returning, if you're performing like that of a weekend you won't be getting many games into the back-half of the season.

It wasn’t a great game from Brown, but when he did get it he used it well. I think it’s less of a concern if a decent user of the ball has a down week for numbers, than if someone butchers it or makes terrible decisions.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Except he wasn't. Langdon, before the injury, was woeful.

I guess his 11 possessions (@ 81%DE), and 6 ITC's (2nd to only Crisp for the game) and =5th in 1%ers in 41%TOG probably shows just how poor he really was.

If you desperately need to identify who was genuinely "poor" for the 1st 3 quarters then cast a look in Phillips direction. Once again redeemed himself with a mighty last quarter (8 of his 20 possessions) but had a mare up until then, his brother and Billings tearing him a new one.

I can see the argument re stats,but stats do they reflect the true story?
Personally i can see three goals that where created from Callums work to players up the ground.
And i would take that every week compared to players that turn ball the over to the opposition week after week.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
He wasnt great, but he wasnt catastrophic. There were some good outcomes directly attributable to his work.

He has played about 20 games, this is part and parcel of the process of evening out the bumps by the time you get to 50.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spot on. That is the mistake we made in 2011. I like the way the Buckley period of selection gives players a good go at it. In the early years we were turning the list over pretty quick but now, players like Wills and Brown are our future. They deserve a bit of faith and a good go at it, unless someone is knocking the door down in the VFL. Sier needs another week to prove himself, Wells shouldn't take the place of development unless he offers significant upside. I can't see Brown being in the side at the business end of the season but plenty of games before then.

He wasnt great, but he wasnt catastrophic. There were some good outcomes directly attributable to his work.
He was playing a Varcoe like role and got Varcoe like stats. If your job is to get front and centre and the ball doesn't fall front and centre, you get low stats and your job is to chase harrass and help get the ball back. From watching the replay, in terms of his role, he got to the right spots often enough, he worked his butt off to pressure and he was as clean as a whistle when the ball fell in his direction. To get more consistent stats, he needs to spread a little bit more quickly when a teammate looks like getting it, but that runs a risk if letting off pressure if he gambles incorrectly. Overall his game was ok.

Im probably wrong, but i don't think Varcoe has been dropped for low stats this year, i think he's been dropped because he has had butter fingers when opportunity has fallen his way. I suspect that Brown will hold his place if he continues to do his the three main parts of his role - get front and centre regularly, chase and tackles effectively, and be clean when he gets an opportunity. I think he ticked his three boxes on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cant believe there is criticism of him when he has only played 19 games in a position that is notoriously known for low possessions and players struggling to get into the action. His time on ball shows me everything i need to know. I would bet the knock would be his size but plenty of gun players are that size or smaller. He is flying compared to players of a similar ilk at other teams, He is going to be a star, cannot wait till he gets way more time in the midfield.

Cant believe there is criticism of him when he has only played 19 games in a position that is notoriously known for low possessions and players struggling to get into the action. His time on ball shows me everything i need to know. I would bet the knock would be his size but plenty of gun players are that size or smaller. He is flying compared to players of a similar ilk at other teams, He is going to be a star, cannot wait till he gets way more time in the midfield.
If watching the replay, have a look at what he does about the 17 min. mark. His positioning on ground balls is really smart where he either gets the ball and shoots off a handball or gets a free kick for in the back. Has done it many times. His 'smartness' hopefully will makeup for his size.

I recall a short player that played that played 157 games!!!!
And Callum is nothing like that!
He is very creative and fast with his hands,and OK he missed a few kicks for goal the other week but that's only experience and i am sure he will learn from it.
Keep playing him and this can only improve his development and Improvement.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I recall a short player that played that played 157 games!!!!
And Callum is nothing like that!
He is very creative and fast with his hands,and OK he missed a few kicks for goal the other week but that's only experience and i am sure he will learn from it.
Keep playing him and this can only improve his development and Improvement.
He’d be a better bet to surpass the said player.
Whilst he’s not a long kick he just has to kick within his range and he’ll be fine.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your a wise judge Saintly Viewed,
If Callum tries to play CHF i will,
Not sure be a gimp? Re or a bad horse?
If anyone can do it, would have to be you.

But gee, the Gimp and Bad Horse can they be matched?
That’s one tough gig.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
He's going to have to become one hell of an inside player. We were making metres down the line with one after another leading up for a short pass but when it came time for Browny to take off he just put in a halfhearted jog and the defender matched him. He didn't want it, he was either not sure of beating the defender for speed or taking the mark at speed, either way he can't be breaking the chain like that.

Thought he was pretty good for a 20 gamer, as he should have had three goals to go with his 9 tackles. Too bad about that blocking free kick which overturned one.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's going to have to become one hell of an inside player. We were making metres down the line with one after another leading up for a short pass but when it came time for Browny to take off he just put in a halfhearted jog and the defender matched him. He didn't want it, he was either not sure of beating the defender for speed or taking the mark at speed, either way he can't be breaking the chain like that.

Interesting observation and something I've noticed with him too.

He was good today and I've been a critic so credit where it's due. He seems to thrive in scrappy games because his first instincts are good, quick and he has clean hands.

He is the total opposite when in space or if he has time. He's completely clueless on the spread. If he can develop his outside game to a point where he's not a liability he could make it, because the rest is promising.

Weird player, but good game.

Well done lad.

Good_Old

Cancelled
10k Posts Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
May 27, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking more and more comfortable each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back