Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just counted. Cal took 17 strides with his burst goal last night. Probably ran 20m. But who cares!

Never would have pictured him having a goal like that in him! When he gets in space he's one of our quickest with the ball which I can't remember ever being a feature of his game in juniors or even his first two years at the club.

About 1/2 a Ben Brown set shot run up. Players running into goal like that generally get latitude.

As I’ve posted before, his attitude, his application, his learning, his character.

It’s all there, he leaves nothing out of being as good a player as he can be.

Is Brown eligible for Rising Star nomination?
Has played 10 games by this season so that knocks him out, I think that’s one of the markers.

I’m also in the surprised camp, of posters who are a bit surprised at his speed. Didn’t see that coming.

I'd go one further. Hands, side step (hand in hand with spatial awareness) and defensive application. He hunts guys like Varcoe does.
He’s certainly developing a neat little bag of tricks, which 12 months ago I thought he was incapable of. I initially thought he could make it, but just not with us. Now I’m pretty sure he’ll become a very good player for Collingwood long term, especially if he can continue to develop his game at the rate he’s done in the last 12 months.

Has played 10 games by this season so that knocks him out, I think that’s one of the markers.
"To be eligible for the AFL Rising Star Award, each year's nominated players must be under the age of 21 at 1 January and have played no more than 10 AFL games to the start of that season.

They must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season (as with the Brownlow Medal, players found guilty of certain offences and fined or reprimanded by the Tribunal remain eligible to win the award)."

Brown played 8 last year and 5 2017, so not eligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's those non-stat generating acts that he and Varcoe bring to the dynamic that some seem oblivious to, you need players like that who don't simply switch off after 1 effort.
It's one thing he does share in common with his old man.

He doesn't play much like his father but he does share that appetite for the contest and just keeps pinging from one to the next, to the next.

Am I the only one who thought after 5 rounds last yr saying this bloke I would expect to play the majority of games in 2018?

Progressive thinking people.

Am I a great or what re.

I even predicted a labour loss and successor when I was saying those 'if we lose' vlakies matchday re. 'If we lose.. I'm gonna get a hairstyle like Albanese'.

Just gifted I guess re.

Libra intuition and that re.

Showed a great turn of speed. The last 2 weeks though he has been pretty quiet apart from a few little cameos. Probably going to be one that faces a squeeze when Adams is back.

I think he's pushed himself ahead of both Varcoe and Thomas, so I think he's safe in terms of selection. I'm hoping the match committee agrees with me.

His hands and vision are brilliant.
The handball that set us off and running for the goal to WHE in the last was fantastic.
Him and Sier are the best at it of our young brigade.

His hands and vision are brilliant.
The handball that set us off and running for the goal to WHE in the last was fantastic.
Him and Sier are the best at it of our young brigade.
I love the way he is developing, so I'm not going to mention that one where he burst into the clear 25 out directly in front and then handballed it backwards to a flat footed Mason Cox. WTF was that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back