Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

He may be a limited footballer, young Callum, but he can still be an incredibly useful player for us. He is an energy guy in basketball parlons and most definitely a role player. He isn't a natural forward, that's been clear for a while. But he has quick hands, good reflexes and his natural urgency makes him a pest for opposition mids. Lets keep him on ball for a few weeks, maybe as a tagger. What's the harm?

Many people in the post game thread were too generous with their glowing summary of his game.

He was ok... That’s all.
Played his role. Did ok. Certainly not enough to cement a spot in the starting 22, provided we have enough others to step up to play senior footy.

Who are our guys that deserve midfield minutes?
When healthy, Pendlebury, Adams, De Goey, Daicos, Crisp, Bianco, Sidebottom, Macrae, Rantall and Sier are all guys I'd give midfield time ahead of him. Adams and Sier are hurt, but that's still 8 or so guys I'd rather get midfield run than him. Doesn't even include guys like Poulter or McInnes, or even his brother.

He may be a limited footballer, young Callum, but he can still be an incredibly useful player for us. He is an energy guy in basketball parlons and most definitely a role player. He isn't a natural forward, that's been clear for a while. But he has quick hands, good reflexes and his natural urgency makes him a pest for opposition mids. Lets keep him on ball for a few weeks, maybe as a tagger. What's the harm?

You want him to tag Petracca or Oliver? They'll shrug him off like a ragdoll.

When healthy, Pendlebury, Adams, De Goey, Daicos, Crisp, Bianco, Sidebottom, Macrae, Rantall and Sier are all guys I'd give midfield time ahead of him. Adams and Sier are hurt, but that's still 8 or so guys I'd rather get midfield run than him. Doesn't even include guys like Poulter or McInnes, or even his brother.
My take:

I'll give you Pendles, Adams and Crisp. They're bloody good footballers.

Don't know how you could have Rantall and Macrae as more deserving.

Sidey, Daics and Bianco play too similarly and have the same exploitable weakness to play together - two of them in there at once is a stretch.

JDG roles the dice too much with his positioning and isn't yet good enough offensively as a mid to make up for his complete lack of defensive coverage.

Sier just stands around too often.

Yesterday, Callum gave us a bit of the energizer bunny around the ball that we lost with Treloar, I hope he gets a couple more games in there to see if he can back up what was a good half of footy.

I would rather give a kid like Macrae or Poulter some midfield time seeing as they may actually have a future as an AFL midfielder. And yes, if it's a close game then Brown will cost us the game playing in the midfield.

Poulter is playing his role quite well and would probably benefit more from stability than a positional shift at this point. Macrae has had no VFL form to justify or necessitate selection. Even when he did play he wasn't getting minutes in the middle.

Both of those players may have futures as AFL midfielders irrespective of whether they play in the guts in their first season. In Brown you have a player who may play competent football in the middle right now and may be his only opportunity to perform at the level.

We go into this game third last on three wins against the number one team in the comp, without key players in the middle and in defense due to injury. The fate of the game is unlikely to come down to where Callum Brown is selected to play.

So like I said in the previous post, what's the harm?

Poulter is playing his role quite well and would probably benefit more from stability than a positional shift at this point. Macrae has had no VFL form to justify or necessitate selection. Even when he did play he wasn't getting minutes in the middle.

Both of those players may have futures as AFL midfielders irrespective of whether they play in the guts in their first season. In Brown you have a player who may play competent football in the middle right now and may be his only opportunity to perform at the level.

We go into this game third last on three wins against the number one team in the comp, without key players in the middle and in defense due to injury. The fate of the game is unlikely to come down to where Callum Brown is selected to play.

So like I said in the previous post, what's the harm?
Brown does not play competent football, he has played midfield before and failed. He had one solid half after 3 months of total incompetence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown does not play competent football, he has played midfield before and failed. He had one solid half after 3 months of total incompetence

Let's put this into perspective and see if some can get on board with my line of thinking. Brown isn't going to be dropped this week and is more likely to be elevated into the starting 22. Would it be more beneficial to see him played inside F50 where he has struggled to contribute, or in the middle where he has had far fewer opportunities?

Let's put this into perspective and see if some can get on board with my line of thinking. Brown isn't going to be dropped this week and is more likely to be elevated into the starting 22. Would it be more beneficial to see him played inside F50 where he has struggled to contribute, or in the middle where he has had far fewer opportunities?
Midfield in the VFL, he doesn’t need his 62nd chance to prove he isn’t AFL standard.

One thing is for sure, that tweet was a direct response to the pressure on him in the last year.... to actually celebrate 11 possessions and to state his efficiency too, would be puzzling if it was done in isolation.

The fact is that he has averaged 11 disposals and 3 tackles this year.....which is down on his season averages for the last 4 years.... and he is also down on tackling averages for 2018 and 2019.

So the game is pretty much a return to average form after 18 months of being below par... He's played 60 games now and he shouldnt be struggling to replicate what he was doing 3 years ago.

I'm not a huge stats junkie but these stats only reinforce what i'm seeing.

Yep I’ve said it a few times that he should be developed into a full-time tagger. At least he doesn’t need to find to the ball himself, and he can tackle. It’s not as if he doesn’t put in the effort. Should look at deBoer and his value to GWS.

Yep I’ve said it a few times that he should be developed into a full-time tagger. At least he doesn’t need to find to the ball himself, and he can tackle. It’s not as if he doesn’t put in the effort. Should look at deBoer and his value to GWS.

Agreed. Even limited footballers can play a role.

credit where credit due, he played solid. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Put together a block of games and prove us all wrong Callum. Let’s see how he goes against melbs midfield.
Is Grundy expected back? We'll get done around the footy with him in, but annihilated without him.

Only thing stopping C. Brown and J. Noble is their size.

They can't stick tackles that an average player would stick 100% of the time.

If an opposition has any kind of momentum then they just bounce straight off them.

They both need at least another 7kg or they will continue to be burdens, both on the field and in terms of stopping a younger player from getting crucial AFL experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back