Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I think he'll learn. First game as a full time mid, it'll be a learning curve for him no doubt. But geez, there was so much to like, and promise.

Who knew playing him in his natural position would showcase his strengths.

And the thing is, this is what we're lacking. Youth in his age bracket in the midfield.
Yes we need that age spread.
The thing about taking on the man is a vexed case with me and not just with Cal - if you are trying to penetrate into the f50 then running around the man upsets leading patterns and that easily leads to turnovers. By all means take him on if you are 60 out and they have the goal front blockaded but I just shake my head sometimes.

Agree, credit where it's due. If he can play a part in beating Carlton this weekend I will forgive him for any shortcomings shown in the first half of the year.
If if Kim Jong-Un can come in and help us beat Carlton, I might just forgive some of his shortcomings too.

2 games you need to win each year, Carlton at home and Carlton away.

If if Kim Jong-Un can come in and help us beat Carlton, I might just forgive some of his shortcomings too.

2 games you need to win each year, Carlton at home and Carlton away.
Agreed -
What's better than beating the Scum in the GF by 10 goals? . . .
Doing it by a point. :D

yeah 83% efficiency with 328 metres gained. Very good if you ask me for someone getting his first proper game in the midfield in some time.

Yep, even his kicking efficiency was 75% and I'd imagine the 2 kicks that didn't make the grade were the grassed mark opportunities for Checkers and JDG.

Wheel’s turning for him now! He’s got six weeks to make a decent fist of rolling through the midfield so hopefully the coaching group persist and Brown continues to trend forward. It’s a pleasant surprise and one that could really add another dimension to the best 22, pace.
I don't think his straight line speed is much, but his agility and thus speed in traffic is off the charts. For a few years he's shown the ability to zip into space where others can't, it all comes down to his disposal.

I don't think his straight line speed is much, but his agility and thus speed in traffic is off the charts. For a few years he's shown the ability to zip into space where others can't, it all comes down to his disposal.
I think his first couple of steps are pretty quick but he needs to stop dithering with his disposals - he's overthinking it.
Get a step clear, find at worst a one on one option and dispose to advantage.

Kicked 11 goals in 22 games, that's below "fine" for a small forward.

Credited with 33 shots at goal, 98 score involvements, and 487 pressure acts. He was fine in 2019 as a developing player.

Credited with 33 shots at goal, 98 score involvements, and 487 pressure acts. He was fine in 2019 as a developing player.
And if goals were the only reason small forwards are playing, then JT would be gone by now lol But clearly its more than what it appears to be. A lot of things come into it, pressure, tackles, score involvements etc.

Cal's biggest drawback is he tries to take on players and gets caught, should use his burst and pass to the first available clear target.

That pass to JDG in the last doesn't happen if he doesn't take the game on. Had an opponent hot on his heals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a few years, he's been a bloke who has done a lot of good stuff, but has fluffed the finish, so the good stuff is ignored. If he gets his disposal right, he will be a solid player. It's a big if though.

He is quick, can kick both sides, is tough, evasive and gives 100%. All essential qualities for a mid.

It has been a lack of confidence that has held him back because in 2019 we all thought he’d arrived.

If he can achieve yesterday performance consistently, he’s a keeper and adds much needed inside mid depth.

Got laughed at recently by a couple of muppets for suggesting he was a midfielder, not a small forward. Nice that he's come out and shown his potential in the role when given the opportunity. I guess given he only played 64% TOG that the fresh legs advantage of the Adelaide game still holds true for them to cling to.

Agree, credit where it's due. If he can play a part in beating Carlton this weekend I will forgive him for any shortcomings shown in the first half of the year.

Played a part in beating them in R2, doesn't that count?

Cal's biggest drawback is he tries to take on players and gets caught, should use his burst and pass to the first available clear target.

He has the evasive skills, just not the bulldozing skills. Fine with him trying out the former…

Agreed -
What's better than beating the Scum in the GF by 10 goals? . . .
Doing it by a point. :D

I disagree. Beating them by a million points would be better still, not to mention better for my cardiac health (but worse for my liver!).

He has the evasive skills, just not the bulldozing skills. Fine with him trying out the former…
I imagine he would be better in the midfield - I don't think it's so much the evasion just that he tends to steady a fraction too early before delivery.

Had his best career game.
He is a mid--he is surprisingly quick over the first few metres so in a centre clearance situation he can explode and he burnt off Bolton to hit De Goey in the last.
This is where he needs to stay to add further depth to our midfield options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back