Traded Callum Coleman-Jones [Traded to North Melbourne with 42, 47 and a future 4th for Tarrant, 40 and a future 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but if the tables were turned, I wouldn't begrudge Richmond sending a player to the PSD without a favorable deal.
Despite what many of my fellow supporters think, the psd is there to help the bottom clubs get us contracted players without giving up anything in return.
Wouldn’t have begrudged north for doing it at all.
it is what it’s there for after all.

North Melbourne GM of Football Brady Rawlings said the 200cm big man, who kicked four goals in just his second career game against Adelaide in round 11 this year, would be a valuable addition to the club’s young brigade of talls.

“We identified Callum as a player who could really help us, not only as support for ‘Goldy’ (Todd Goldstein), but also for Nick Larkey and our forward group,” Rawlings said.

“He was starved of opportunities in a really successful side at the Tigers and he was heavily courted elsewhere, so we were thrilled he picked us as his preferred destination.

“He’s aggressive, is a really good runner and he’ll be a real handful for any opposition with his reach and power.

Sharing the load with Edwards/Goldy by the sound of it. If he doesn't work out as well as a primary ruck, we can always use him as a KPF. At very worst, he's tall coverage for a younger group. I have said from the start that the ruck angle has been overplayed a bit in the media. It is why I am keen to retain Xerri, but he's probably gone.
I am a bit worried though that if he isn't going to do a lot of ruckwork we could end up with another land of the giants forwardline.
We can probably only play two of CCJ, Comben, Larkey and Edwards in the same team.

I am a bit worried though that if he isn't going to do a lot of ruckwork we could end up with another land of the giants forwardline.
We can probably only play two of CCJ, Comben, Larkey and Edwards in the same team.
In fairness, whilst he isn’t a great ruck now, he hasn’t been played there as much as he could have been.
What he lacks in the Centre bounce contests i reckon he will make up for around the ground.

I think he can be a really good player hence the carry on from most of us tigers wanting a good deal.
We got more out of the trade than we expected which is a win for us, but long term I reckon you guys will be stoked.

Tarrant if fit will be playing each week not used as backup. Will give us more flexibility to throw balta in the ruck and up fwd if required. Inspired trade.

If fit and in form yes …… but with a fit Balta, further development of listed youth and after the draft I see him as more as insurance.

Serious question - Why do I hear people at North Melbourne (including their list manager) say that they hope CCJ will end up a Goldstein replacement? Have they actually seen him in the ruck or is it me who has missed games where he showed promise as a top ruck? I’m not trying to troll with this post but I’m just going to be honest from what I personally have seen.

I really do rate CCJ as a player and him leaving doesn’t change that (this is why I wanted Richmond to get a good deal), but nothing that I have seen from him in his time suggests that he’s heading towards becoming a good first ruck. Unless others who have seen him more closely have seen something that I missed, that’s what I think about it. I think he’ll be a really good forward and a solid back-up ruck for North Melbourne, but not really a good first ruck.

This is because he’s a tad bit undersized for one and I don’t know if he’ll end up having the same competitiveness around the ground that makes other undersized ruckmen (like Nankervis) good first ruckmen for example. Don’t get me wrong, he does get involved around the ground and can really use his size, but I don’t think he’ll end up being a top ruckman like Gawn, Grundy, Naitanui, or even Goldstein.

I guess it all depends on what North Melbourne expect. If by bringing him in they expect him to be an overall good forward who can also performing ruck duties (as a back-up or in the event of an injury), then they have landed someone who will really fit their needs and can even end up one of the best forwards in the competition. If they expect the next Grundy/ Goldstein/Naitanui though, then they may end up being disappointed by this acquisition.

Im not sure in what world CCJ is undersized.

Hes 201cm with clearly an enormous wingspan, probably one of the bigger ones in the AFL. Similar to Tarryn Thomas in that regard who would have a wingspan similar to most KPP.

He’s an inch taller than Nankervis with longer arms.

Anyway it’s a moot point, we’ve got him as much for his forward craft as for his rucking.

Has Psicosis given his trade assesment yet? He was pretty vocal up until about 5pm yesterday.

I’m happy we got our man. Trading for need, drafting for talent. I don’t think he was worth including the future second given the circumstances, however if the club rate him that highly I’ll back them in.

Very keen to see how he goes with continuity at AFL level & I expect he will end up being a steal regardless.

Sure they did mate. The flawed points system is only useful if you are specifically in need of the points rather than the picks. Which North are not

A lot of other clubs are though...

Let’s see what Rawlings does with the picks, we don’t have the list spaces for them, so they are odds on to be traded.

Can't believe you are all still arguing over who "WON" here. Can be seen from so many angles.

In a Rich win
They got a future 2nd for CCJ ....... winners
Got Taz for free ..... nice
but
then traded 42, 47 and a 4th for 40 ...... lossers

In a North win
They traded 40 for CCJ .... told ya
They got a 4th for a FA not worth compensation ...... victory
Traded a 2nd round for 2 3rds ....... average at best

Can this not be a win/win

North got their player and still hold a great draft hand in 1, 20, 42, 47.
Rich got their man and equitable compensation for an OOC player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe you are all still arguing over who "WON" here. Can be seen from so many angles.

In a Rich win
but

In a North win

Lol nice spin again there mate. There weren't 3 individual trades. It was one trade so no point angling it as we got CCj for 40 told yas

Im not sure in what world CCJ is undersized.

Hes 201cm with clearly an enormous wingspan, probably one of the bigger ones in the AFL. Similar to Tarryn Thomas in that regard who would have a wingspan similar to most KPP.

He’s an inch taller than Nankervis with longer arms.

Anyway it’s a moot point, we’ve got him as much for his forward craft as for his rucking.
He’s only like a centimetre or so taller than Nankervis and Nankervis is an undersized ruck. Regardless of his height, my main concern was North Melbourne expecting CCJ to become a primary ruck worthy of replacing Goldstein.

He could make it as a primary ruck, but I personally think that it would be a waste of his talent because I have seen enough of his forward work to say that he has the potential to become an elite forward. You’d want a guy like him spending a lot of the time using his height to tower over his opponents in forward marking contests like Ben Brown does instead of going up against elite rucks like Max Gawn, Naitanui, Grundy, and any other elite rucks that will come in the future. He’s also made inroads with his goal kicking from a couple of years ago too as he was a pretty good set shot kick this year.

Bottom line is that I think that his forward work is better than his ruck work so I don’t think North Melbourne should play him as a primary ruck unless he starts showing something that he hasn’t really shown in his time with Richmond. An article quoting North’s GM basically indicates that this isn’t North’s primary reason for taking CCJ anyway so it sounds like they are aware of where his strengths lie. If he develops his ruck work by a lot to take that primary ruck role, then that’s just a bonus for North it seems.

Lol nice spin again there mate. There weren't 3 individual trades. It was one trade so no point angling it as we got CCj for 40 told yas

And as a "whole" trade, I think it came out roughly evens, ups and downs on both sides. I have no issue at all with that.

And as a "whole" trade, I think it came out roughly evens, ups and downs on both sides. I have no issue at all with that.

Point is it shouldnt have come out close to even with North having the leverage on every front. Every supporter here knew it pre trade as well so no point trying to spin it after the fact as a good result

In a Rich win
but

In a North win

I agree I think it's a pretty fair deal honestly. I reckon a lot of tigers fans are considering it a win because we we were worried it was going to be a lot worse. In effect we've upgraded 47 to a second rounder (which will probably be a decent pick no offence, although who knows with academy etc.) and the roos did us the courtesy of including tarrent to protect our compo. If you offered me this trade vs keeping ccj I'd keep him (which is why I think north should be happy with the trade) but given I thought we'd end up with just 40 for him I'm fairly happy with it. I'm happy to leave it at that and move on!

We had to trade for CCJ to help Larkey chair godly of in his 600th game in round 9 2026!!!

You make a really good point. In business, companies usually employ commercial managers to do the deal once a decision has been made. These people are comfortable/ good at negotiating and driving a deal that at a minimum not to the detriment of their company.

These people are a breed apart.

So should footy clubs understand the skills of their people and once Luff & Rawlings (could be anyone from any team) decide on a trade, it is handballed to someone skilled in negotiating to close the deal?

Agree negotiating is a skill there are courses for this Rawlings and Luff can identify talent but negotiations and deals there hopeless. Football departments should hire someone skilled and taught in these areas not 2 blokes that think they can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Point is it shouldnt have come out close to even with North having the leverage on every front. Every supporter here knew it pre trade as well so no point trying to spin it after the fact as a good result
Well the good result is we got the player we wanted - probably at cheaper rate than paying two firsts for Kelly, but then seeing as how you can’t add up, you probably haven’t worked that out

4 years on 475k pretty comfortable with that, we’d probably front end some of that too

average wage is already around 400k

In the current environment anything near 500k over 4 years is a decent contract, particularly for a player who’s yet to prove he can play at the level either as a forward and particularly as a ruck.

I understand clubs have to offer good coin and length of contract to get a player to move, but this is a very speculative investment.

I’m actually not hoping it fails and would like to see this guy become a top-line player, however I feel the way this trades gone and the associated media coverage, CJ will be under more pressure to perform than your No 1 pick …… a fair amount of pressure for a docile introvert.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back