Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
the kids gonna be a gun, but i find this whole "lets be nice and not use the PSD a bit strange". It's there for a reason and I think we got more than we should've.

I don't understand why everyone is so reluctant to exploit PSD especially when teams have no hesitation in bidding for father-sons or academy picks even though they know they have no chance of securing the player. It's like they are all prepared to be utter campaigners but for some reason, the campaigner-i-ness of the PSD is a bridge too far.

Perhaps from CCJ's POV and as a matter of conscience, the whole kebab episode has him feeling like he owes Richmond a shitload of money that he's never going to repay, the least he can do is give them a draft pick back.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Now that the bullsh!t of the trade banter is over and we can all post like adults ill give you my opinion of Cj and you guys are either welcome to delete or read and thats your prerogative.

Richmond identified Cj as a talent with leadership and talent , He arrived at Richmond but whilst he had the build his strength was an issue and incapable of competing against the mature Rucks in the VFL so the club took a very different approach to his development to build him without damaging him as some young rucks when thrown into the deep end. He was given training schedule differentl to other rucks and played 1 of every 3 games in the VFL and spent more time foward than ruck.

His 2nd year he played 50/50 ruck and was capable but not really competitive against the better rucks but did well but showed very good promise as a foward / Ruck. 2020 was a write off for most VFL teams and Cj was playing in a covid scrimmage matches and did very well and showed alot of promise and was next in line but unfortunately Kebab Gate happened and he missed his chance to make his claim to Soldo's position and eventually missed out on playing 2020 premiership team (bad Timing to be naughty )

2021 he was suspended then had a couple of VFL games and then senior games where again he played well as a foward but not s well as a ruckman but did well. Then he was injured with the calf and missed 2 games i think and came back and finished the season reasonably well.

I dont see him as a Brad Ottens type Ruck as brad was very mobile and had more agility and leap (Tyrone Vickery had similar traits to ottens but not the talent or work ethic) Brad Ottens was also a more dynamic player on the ground where you just knew he was a constant danger and teams would need to watch him.

For me if i had to say who i think Cj is the most like or like to become similar to from the current list of Ruckman i would say Ben Mc Evoy would be the player i see.

Cheers good luck but hope you guys finish last and get a PP & #1 pick and we get #19 ;)

Selling CJ’s forward work short when comparing to mcevoy? Career best of 3 goals in 240 odd games vs 4 in his second game. 0.6 goal per game average vs 1.2

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Selling CJ’s forward work short when comparing to mcevoy? Career best of 3 goals in 240 odd games vs 4 in his second game. 0.6 goal per game average vs 1.2
I was actually referring to his ruck craft and mentioned his Fwd craft is good and i rate him more as a Fwd/Ruck than Ruck/Fwd

* Also Ben McEvoy is also a very competent ruck but the hawks prefer to play him more behind the ball rather than up front

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was actually referring to his ruck craft and mentioned his Fwd craft is good and i rate him more as a Fwd/Ruck than Ruck/Fwd

* Also Ben McEvoy is also a very competent ruck but the hawks prefer to play him more behind the ball rather than up front

Got ya.

It will be interesting to see how much time he spends ruck vs forward.

I think he will play mainly forward and the talk of more ruck opportunities was just as a way of justying taking the 4 year contract.

Goldie’s ok up forward but he is not a genuine threat.

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
Now that the bullsh!t of the trade banter is over and we can all post like adults ill give you my opinion of Cj and you guys are either welcome to delete or read and thats your prerogative.
Mate, you have been the key instigator in the garbage posting over the last 2 weeks. You've taken every chance to call North a sh!t stain of a club and talk down to our supporters on bigfooty, while simultaneously melting everywhere.

I'm all for Richmond fans coming on our board and giving insight into CCJ, but you in particular can f*** off to the hole you crawled out of and stay there. Your opinion means f*** all.

Mate, you have been the key instigator in the garbage posting over the last 2 weeks. You've taken every chance to call North a sh!t stain of a club and talk down to our supporters on bigfooty, while simultaneously melting everywhere.

I'm all for Richmond fans coming on our board and giving insight into CCJ, but you in particular can f*** off to the hole you crawled out of and stay there. Your opinion means f*** all.

I thought it was Caro's BF account.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Use ignore champ

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah, half the fun of bigfooty is laughing at nuffies like you.

Make up your mind ................

1633792865359.png

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If/ when Comben gets himself on the park, we’re going to be back to land of the giants:
Larkey
Comben
CCJ/ Goldy/ Edwards

That’s three 200cm types, plus Zurhaar. That lineup would be impossible to match up against in the air but lacking mobility on the ground.
Chom could be a gun CHB IMO. Aggressive, athletic has all the tools

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Giving up our 2nd next year is one thing, but sending our pick 40 this year makes the deal a whole lot worse. A future second, Tarrant for CCJ, 2021 pick 42 & 2021 48 is more than fair, especially when you consider the leverage we had. If we had of been left with picks 40, 42 and 48, it allows us to potentially move back up the draft for an early 2nd round pick for eg. Dogs 23 pick. It’s gives them more points and leaves us with 1,20 & 23.

Happy the deal is done, just not at all happy with the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got ya.

It will be interesting to see how much time he spends ruck vs forward.

I think he will play mainly forward and the talk of more ruck opportunities was just as a way of justying taking the 4 year contract.

Goldie’s ok up forward but he is not a genuine threat.
Dude - CCJ will be given plenty of opportunity to show his wares and develop as a ruck at North - we can afford to give him that opportunity.

However if he isn't a good ruckman then he will be playing mainly forward.

My sense is that he is a relief ruck at best and will be far more suited to the true Full Forward position - taking marks, bringing the ball to ground. with some minutes in the Ruck to help out.

I had Chom as my full forward going into 2022 - I think CCJ will start there and Chom will now be on the bench or just missing out.

To get a starting FF at the age of 22 is a good get by us and with JHF also likely to start in the forward 50 it will give us a completely new look in 2022.

Out backline remains our weakness but the midfield and forwards are looking ok now in terms of potential.

Picking up 2 good defenders in the next few days/psd/main draft is now our priority.

WodongaKanga

Rookie
Oct 7, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To get a starting FF at the age of 22 is a good get by us and with JHF also likely to start in the forward 50 it will give us a completely new look in 2022.
Why is everyone suggesting JHF will play forward? Tommy Powell was prolific in the middle and JHF has a considerably larger frame than he did. Couldn't be more excited about the prospect of having a player that produces a dominant first year in the system not unlike bontempelli or walsh did.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why is everyone suggesting JHF will play forward? Tommy Powell was prolific in the middle and JHF has a considerably larger frame than he did. Couldn't be more excited about the prospect of having a player that produces a dominant first year in the system not unlike bontempelli or walsh did.
He could certainly start on a wing but in terms of starting in the guts first bounce JHF is about 7th/8th in line - for mine he starts forward 50 while getting used to the pace of AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back