Traded Callum Coleman-Jones [Traded to North Melbourne with 42, 47 and a future 4th for Tarrant, 40 and a future 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but if the tables were turned, I wouldn't begrudge Richmond sending a player to the PSD without a favorable deal.
Despite what many of my fellow supporters think, the psd is there to help the bottom clubs get us contracted players without giving up anything in return.
Wouldn’t have begrudged north for doing it at all.
it is what it’s there for after all.

Clubs will always work with any club that they think can benefit their own regardless of any past unfair trades

"Clubs always trade fairly and in faith" should be on a trade week bingo card.

Have your new recruit sweating and stressing and questioning how much your club values him?
This could also leave Tarrant in limbo as Richmond have to try and work out whether signing him as a free agent affects the Chol compo and that whole decision could get dragged out.

Why would this happen? We've committed to him with a contract in front of him and everyone knows we have pick 1 in the PSD. I'm not saying it'll come to that but if anyone can rest easy in this scenario it's CCJ knowing he's heading to North.

As for Tarrant, well what about him sweating and stressing questioning how much his new club values him if they're faffing about worrying about compo for a player unrelated to this whole transaction?

I just don't see 38 being enough on its own for CCJ
Making Tarrant part of the trade could make it all agreed and signed off quickly and easily.
I see it as a way of avoiding CCJ getting entangled into a drawn-out negotiation.

What's your alternative? Offer just 38 or Pre-season draft? Have your new recruit sweating and stressing and questioning how much your club values him?
This could also leave Tarrant in limbo as Richmond have to try and work out whether signing him as a free agent affects the Chol compo and that whole decision could get dragged out.

The alternative is not complicating a couple of exchanges.

If Richmond want to include Taz in the CCJ deal there has to something good for him and North coming back. If not, it is a non-starter. FA is better for both Taz and North, Richmond won't play funny buggers over a player they have already offered a contract to. There'll be no Chol compo, firstly because of Tarrant, but also I think you have other FA targets.

The CCJ trade should be quite straightforward too. 38 +/- whatever is available at the time. If the negotiations get drawn out it will only hurt one team. Richmond will want the deal done early to wrap up 38 with other picks for the WB 1st rounder before someone else claims it and to avoid the PSD threat.

Richmond supporters thinking you're going to get anything significant for CCJ are dreaming. It's not going to happen.

NM will offer a token pick, pick 38 at best, if NM are feeling generous. If Richmond decline, NM go to CCJ and say we offered Richmond pick 38, but Richmond declined. We need to use picks 1 and 20 on youngsters to help build around you. Are you OK if we just acquire you via the PSD? We guarantee we'll select you on your 4 year deal.
This.
In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s next year’s third. Means if we get a compo for Tarrant, we can package it up with 38 and move up this year’s draft too.

Maybe Richmond can off load pick 38 to a club that needs draft points like The Dogs or Pies and maybe get a future pick in return or something that would be more beneficial than 38 which I have been told they won't use in the draft anyway.

Pity Richmond are not Interested in Lipinski and vice verse, could have made for a straight forward three way trade with most clubs relatively satisfied (with maybe some future pick swaps between the Tigers and Dogs)

Norf have short memories, we delisted Lord Nahas so you could pick him up for free.

And you traded that bum David Bourke to North for giggles as well, so you're both about equal on the who owes who scorecard:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.
I feel CCJ is worth a fair bit more than 38, but will North just play the "take it or leave it" line?
Is there any consequences to taking that approach? Probably not.

The main factor is: What money is Tarrant being offered by the Tigers?
I understand all players over 25 get ranked on salary and given "points" from 0 - 100. Then the 25 year olds get a bonus 12 points, 26 year olds 10 points, etc. 30 year olds get no bonus.
Is there a chance that North could receive a third rounder as compensation? If his salary is in the bottom quarter of all 25+ year olds there is no chance.
I'd imagine it would be similar to Jarrad Waite - no compo, but the clubs would have a reasonable idea as to how likely.

If they are certain to get no compo for Tarrant, then there is no loss in using him as steak knives in the CCJ trade.
Costs North nothing, but helps the deal get done for pick 38 with Tigers keeping whatever Chol compo they get.

If there is a chance at Tarrant compensation then that changes everything. North would not make him part of the trade if there is a reasonable chance he nets them pick 39 through free agency.
There could even be a "backroom deal" where Tigers agree to offer Tarrant enough to give North pick 39 compo and even throw in pick 44 or something along with CCJ for pick 20. Doubt this would happen though for various reasons.

Let alone wanting to put his hand up to be the captain.. time to let go buddy.

So we let go a club legend who still just came 3rd or 4th in the Coleman to go so we can keep a bloke who has a bit of ability?

Can’t blame CCJ for wanting to leave at all ,it is what it is. , all the talk of him being behind so & so with us , but in all reality is out of Jack Lynch Nank & Soldo , all he needed was was on of them to be out injured or Nank or Soldo down on form & he would be In

Obviously North’s offer much better financially so all the best to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.
I feel CCJ is worth a fair bit more than 38, but will North just play the "take it or leave it" line?
Is there any consequences to taking that approach? Probably not.

The main factor is: What money is Tarrant being offered by the Tigers?
I understand all players over 25 get ranked on salary and given "points" from 0 - 100. Then the 25 year olds get a bonus 12 points, 26 year olds 10 points, etc. 30 year olds get no bonus.
Is there a chance that North could receive a third rounder as compensation? If his salary is in the bottom quarter of all 25+ year olds there is no chance.
I'd imagine it would be similar to Jarrad Waite - no compo, but the clubs would have a reasonable idea as to how likely.

If they are certain to get no compo for Tarrant, then there is no loss in using him as steak knives in the CCJ trade.
Costs North nothing, but helps the deal get done for pick 38 with Tigers keeping whatever Chol compo they get.

If there is a chance at Tarrant compensation then that changes everything. North would not make him part of the trade if there is a reasonable chance he nets them pick 39 through free agency.
There could even be a "backroom deal" where Tigers agree to offer Tarrant enough to give North pick 39 compo and even throw in pick 44 or something along with CCJ for pick 20. Doubt this would happen though for various reasons.
Let it go mate. Blair Hartley isn't going to drag Taz through a trade negotiation after already offering him a contract.

Also, 9 games in four years and still not best 22. 38 is fine for CCJ.

Gee some of the north supporters actually thinking ccj for Tarrant is an option lol
Ccj is worth 15-20 contracted, 25-30 uncontracted. I don’t understand how you guys have been valuing him at nothing (pick 69) that’s just insulting to ccj, a young kkp whose READY to play consistent AFL footy. Richmond will ask for a Fair offer knowing you have the psd option up your sleeve, probably 38 which is unders but am hoping to upgrade one of our 2nds. And no Tarrant ain’t getting you a compo pick and won’t cancel out chols either

The days of screwing over other clubs and having a trade 'win' is long gone. Clubs have long memories. If you screw over a club in one trade, they are unlikely to work with you the next time. Only supporters are delusional enough to believe they can get a high pick for an good to average player or conversely, give up nothing to get one. Both clubs will be eager to come up with a win-win solution.

Just like Jackson Hatley a pick 14 in the 2018 draft getting walked to the PSD 2 years later by the Crows.
This is exactly what is going to happen with CCJ. Move on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richmond needs to hope that North have a different player in mind for the PSD, otherwise it's irresponsible for then to NOT take him there.

Rebuilding clubs need to use every opportunity to improve that is given to them, which means both midseason and pre-season drafts.

The days of screwing over other clubs and having a trade 'win' is long gone. Clubs have long memories. If you screw over a club in one trade, they are unlikely to work with you the next time. Only supporters are delusional enough to believe they can get a high pick for an good to average player or conversely, give up nothing to get one. Both clubs will be eager to come up with a win-win solution.
Disagree.
Jack Martin via PSD. carlton screwed GC.
Treloar to dogs for pick 50 equivalent screwed Pies. Say what you like about those situations but clubs get screwed.

Jackson Hately is the most similar example. Crows offered pick 40 to GWS, when they didn’t need to. Crows said take it or leave it as we have pick one in the PSD.

NM will do the same thing, with a late pick.

Richmond needs to hope that North have a different player in mind for the PSD, otherwise it's irresponsible for then to NOT take him there.

Rebuilding clubs need to use every opportunity to improve that is given to them, which means both midseason and pre-season drafts.

Yep this. Otherwise what is the point of the PSD?

I would have no issue with letting Tarrant go even without compo, and us simply picking up CCJ in the PSD.

The situation with the Chol even further proves it's incumbent on Richmond to get a trade they're happy with, not North.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back