Traded Callum Coleman-Jones [Traded to North Melbourne with 42, 47 and a future 4th for Tarrant, 40 and a future 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but if the tables were turned, I wouldn't begrudge Richmond sending a player to the PSD without a favorable deal.
Despite what many of my fellow supporters think, the psd is there to help the bottom clubs get us contracted players without giving up anything in return.
Wouldn’t have begrudged north for doing it at all.
it is what it’s there for after all.

Agree.
Nankervis, Soldo, Chol, Coleman-Jones. Only 2 of those will fit in the one side, that leaves 2 guys on the outer in the VFL, and while you always need depth, they won't hang around forever when offers come. Often you lose a sought after ruckman then pick one up the year later as a mature age, rucks are very movable commodities, they always find homes.

True. The other aspect is if the cap reduces how much money will club's want to spend on backup rucks who can't play another position? With riewoldt cotcjin Edwards grinds Asbury etc it might be a better use of cap for Richmond to let one of their rucks go get a vfl one in on minimum wage and use the money saved on other positions of need.

Richmond have 4 ruckman

Nank
Chol
Saldo
CCJ

Of these only Nank is out of contract in 2020,

One of the 4 have to go this year, especially since only 1/2 can get a game each week.

CCJ is the most likely to go, and I cant see the tigers getting much for him if he can't crack the seniors, one thing in their favour is that he is contracted, this usually means clubs can extract more value

Will be interesting to see what happens

We will 100% not trade this kid. He's just turned 21 ffs. Talent in spades, clearly just needs the physical development to compete with a demographic of rucks who have clearly been getting bigger and bigger over the last 5-10 years (in fact all AFL players seem to be getting heavier).

He is about to get games. If he wasn't injured he'd probably have a few this year already. 2021 will be the year he breaks into the side I think.

Butler was better than both of them and he went for what, Pick 50?

I think we gave Butler away for nothing and I wasn't happy about it, except that at the time I couldn't see him breaking into the 22 ahead of Rioli, Castagna, Bolton, Stack, Higgins etc. I would have preferred to keep him if he was happy to stay and fight for the spot.

Ccj isn't even doing that. Was reamed with no lubricant by bellchambers at afl level

Not sure there's much merit to your comment at all. You've got a teenage kid on debut playing against one of the bigger rucks in the league, 10 years older and a veteran of over 100+ games. This is why rucks need more time to develop. Trading CCJ for nothing right now would be a dismal idea when he is likely to hit his straps soon. If he wasn't injured he would be playing games this year ahead of Soldo IMO.

I'd love to see him end up the Swans next season, but I can't see Richmond trading him in 2019 for a few reasons.

There doesn't seem to be any desire on his part to actually leave
He's contracted for another year
Richmond don't seem all that inclined to lose him

All 3 of those things means he's going nowhere.

He knew when he was drafted to the Tigers that he would be on a slow burn development wise, but in the mean time he'd be part of a team that would compete for premierships and learning under guys like Reiwoldt and Nank. Considering Nank and Jack are looking close to the end at Richmond all he needs to do is be patient.

If by the end of 2021 every one Nank, Chol, Soldo, Lynch, and Reiwoldt are committed to playing on for 2022, then maybe CCJ looks somewhere else to get a gig and maybe Richmond decide to cash in on him, his value will be a bit lower than what they drafted him at but it won't be a 4th round pick low. Height will always get clubs attention, there's no need to rush a move from a player perspective or a club perspective.
Toby nankervis just turned 26
Hes nowhere near the end of his career, he's just reaching his prime

Nankervis is entering his prime and looking to regain the mantle of 12th best ruck in the AFL.
You say that like it's a bad thing. If there are only 11 blokes in the country that can play that position better than him I reckon you'd take that every day.

I reckon his absolute best is a bit better than that anyway. Just hasn't been able to show it enough due to injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I was serious.

I would take Polec if North offered to pay a large portion of his salary.
Ok I'll bite ......................

How much would north have to cough up for you to be interested , its been mentioned that he be on $750k x 5 with North most likely front loading that with
50 % in the first 2 years which leaves roughly $640k for 3 years remaining on his deal. What would north have to pay and what pick would you hand them

Ok I'll bite ......................

How much would north have to cough up for you to be interested , its been mentioned that he be on $750k x 5 with North most likely front loading that with
50 % in the first 2 years which leaves roughly $640k for 3 years remaining on his deal. What would north have to pay and what pick would you hand them

He isn't on that much... well, he got a premium to move state, that was front loaded as we had a lot of cap space, I would say the remaining part of his contract should be fairly lean.

Soldo certainly does have a knack for nullification of the greatest rucks. Ditto nank

Richmond don't really rely on winning first possession, they just need to put pressure on the person getting the ball. Against Richmond we won the clearances 32 vs 20, contested possession 111 vs 91 and lost the game 23 vs 77.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back