Traded Callum Coleman-Jones [Traded to North Melbourne with 42, 47 and a future 4th for Tarrant, 40 and a future 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but if the tables were turned, I wouldn't begrudge Richmond sending a player to the PSD without a favorable deal.
Despite what many of my fellow supporters think, the psd is there to help the bottom clubs get us contracted players without giving up anything in return.
Wouldn’t have begrudged north for doing it at all.
it is what it’s there for after all.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond don't really rely on winning first possession, they just need to put pressure on the person getting the ball. Against Richmond we won the clearances 32 vs 20, contested possession 111 vs 91 and lost the game 23 vs 77.

The tigers have still be ripped by Goldie. Grundy. Gawn. Nicnat. Etc. Snd previously the strong rucks.

Maric before. And nank. Soldo. Have done a reasonable job contesting. Soldo v nic may another example

That's what the buzz is on ccj he may actually have a or b grade ceiling. Can see the tigers wanting him to hang around.

The tigers have still be ripped by Goldie. Grundy. Gawn. Nicnat. Etc. Snd previously the strong rucks.

Maric before. And nank. Soldo. Have done a reasonable job contesting. Soldo v nic may another example

That's what the buzz is on ccj he may actually have a or b grade ceiling. Can see the tigers wanting him to hang around.

He definitely looks like a potential #1 ruckman but we had a similar issue with Preuss, when he felt he was ready to go and Goldstein was in his way and a contract didn't prevent him moving. It would be a tough ask for Richmond to push him into the side and develop when you are still in premiership contention.

He would probably have to wait a few years in the VFL, some players are prepared to, others are not. When Goldstein was young, he only really flourished after we traded Hale and then McIntosh out so he had the freedom to flourish, Hale went on to win a couple of flags with the Hawks, sometimes it works out well, other times it doesn't.

I expected Preuss to go, was surprised he went to Melbourne who had Gawn in his way. Probably a bad call.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
He definitely looks like a potential #1 ruckman but we had a similar issue with Preuss, when he felt he was ready to go and Goldstein was in his way and a contract didn't prevent him moving. It would be a tough ask for Richmond to push him into the side and develop when you are still in premiership contention.

He would probably have to wait a few years in the VFL, some players are prepared to, others are not. When Goldstein was young, he only really flourished after we traded Hale and then McIntosh out so he had the freedom to flourish, Hale went on to win a couple of flags with the Hawks, sometimes it works out well, other times it doesn't.

I expected Preuss to go, was surprised he went to Melbourne who had Gawn in his way. Probably a bad call.
It's an interesting one for developing rucks who want to become the #1. How do they push an established player out of their spot.

The Crows for example have no 2nd ruck, so need a developing one, but if you are CCJ, why would you come if ROB is clearly the #1 man.

Which teams don't actually have a #1 guy ATM? Maybe the Roos, though I don't know what Goldy's contract status is like.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
It's an interesting one for developing rucks who want to become the #1. How do they push an established player out of their spot.

The Crows for example have no 2nd ruck, so need a developing one, but if you are CCJ, why would you come if ROB is clearly the #1 man.

Which teams don't actually have a #1 guy ATM? Maybe the Roos, though I don't know what Goldy's contract status is like.

Another aspect is ccj looks pretty handy forward.

I am on the bandwagon - shifting jack to a flank, pocket. If we can find a few more years from him. And getting ccj a spot fwd /ruck...

I'd have him ahead of Chol who shows good signs but some weaknesses too

Goldy is 32 and is contracted until end of 2022. I think that will be it for him. We have Xerri but he is more a #2 ruckman, unless he has a Gawn-like improvement. He is about the same age as CCJ but in the VFL he played his best footy pushing forward imo.

We don't really have a replacement for Goldy, Campbell is a backup in case Goldy gets hurt but he is only around for the short-term. Daw looks cooked. Not sure if we chase a ruckman this year or next but we need a replacement for Goldy beyond 2022.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Goldy is 32 and is contracted until end of 2022. I think that will be it for him. We have Xerri but he is more a #2 ruckman, unless he has a Gawn-like improvement. He is about the same age as CCJ but in the VFL he played his best footy pushing forward imo.

We don't really have a replacement for Goldy, Campbell is a backup in case Goldy gets hurt but he is only around for the short-term. Daw looks cooked. Not sure if we chase a ruckman this year or next but we need a replacement for Goldy beyond 2022.
Wow, 32 and contracted for another 2 years. That seems a bit of a misalignment with where North's list is at IMO. Didn't he sign only recently too?

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond

I think that's a really good point and probably where Preuss made a mistake. He looked like he could play at North, still does at Melbourne but opportunities are limited. This could be a real mistake for Coleman-Jones if he sees himself as a ruck. If he sees himself as a forward its a completely different conversation.

Wow, 32 and contracted for another 2 years. That seems a bit of a misalignment with where North's list is at IMO. Didn't he sign only recently too?

He is still one of the top ruckmen and one of the most resilient ruckmen in the AFL, very rarely misses games and has averaged 92.1% ToG as pretty much the only real ruckman most of the time. I don't think many ruckmen in their prime can do that. He isn't dominating the ruck hitouts as much as his AA year but he is still one of the better ruckmen going around, I think he will retire with petrol in the tank. Riewoldt is almost 32 and he is contracted to 2021, still playing great footy and could probably go longer, some big guys have longevity.

There is a bit of a risk he can get hurt, but it takes a few years to develop a ruckman from a kid. I don't think you can stick kids all over the park without ending up like Carlton or Melbourne did at their worst, and they were down on the bottom for way too long.

I think that's a really good point and probably where Preuss made a mistake. He looked like he could play at North, still does at Melbourne but opportunities are limited. This could be a real mistake for Coleman-Jones if he sees himself as a ruck. If he sees himself as a forward its a completely different conversation.

I was expecting Preuss to go, was surprised when he picked Melbourne. I think they had dreams of playing Gawn ruck and going back and playing Preuss forward and going into the ruck but it can be hard for two #1 rucks to click together.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
I was expecting Preuss to go, was surprised when he picked Melbourne. I think they had dreams of playing Gawn ruck and going back and playing Preuss forward and going into the ruck but it can be hard for two #1 rucks to click together.

Yeah, I don't think it surprised anyone he left, the destination was the surprise to everyone. I don't remember who rivaled Melbourne but you'd have to assume they paid a premium since he'd walk into a lot of starting ruck spots. Hopefully he didn't see himself as a forward and it backfired.

This is where Coleman-Jones can make a serious mistake. Pruess needs to be seen as an example of what not to do I think.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Well if I was CCJ who is a good foward also going by his VFL games and junior games
Crows - Yes Have a good young ruck but only 2 decent looking KPF Himmelberg & Fogarty, He gives them the option to rotate O'B and CCJ between the 2 positions.

Carlton - Pittonet & Kreuzer just stop gap or ready to retire with just the young De Koning on the list
GWS - No Need to say anymore
GC - Witts then ...............................
Brisbane - Jamar cooked
Doggies - English then ? Same situation as Crows

But i rather keep CCJ and trade either Soldo/Nank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Its an unbelievably stupid thing for both he and Stack to do but I can’t see why it should destroy the careers of these two young lads..

they’ll pay a massive fine each and both would be packing their bags right now ready for TNPO to vicco.

but in a couple of months time it will all be forgotten.

it may diminish CCJ’s trade value slightly but I can hardly see Richmond just delisting him. The club and the AFL have a responsibility to see that both lads arent dumped and have their careers destroyed over a stupid indescretion.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Considering CCJ is already in contract for 2021--- he will stay on Richmond's list. He is worth more to Richmond on the list than to any other club on the trade table at the moment.
I can't imagine it will go down well with the administrative staff seeing Stack or CCJ still at the club in any form next year. $100k from the soft cap means 1-2 jobs are gone (although $25k of that is Brooke Cotchin's fault). Seems it would be best for Richmond to move them on if possible

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I can't imagine it will go down well with the administrative staff seeing Stack or CCJ still at the club in any form next year. $100k from the soft cap means 1-2 jobs are gone (although $25k of that is Brooke Cotchin's fault). Seems it would be best for Richmond to move them on if possible
I disagree. Every year player(s) stuff up at different clubs. They don't all get moved on. A single mistake doesn't define a career, so there is no need to move on two talented young players yet. As others have said, worth more to us now than anyone else, and I don't believe one mistake makes CCJ a toxic player.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I disagree. Every year player(s) stuff up at different clubs. They don't all get moved on. A single mistake doesn't define a career, so there is no need to move on two talented young players yet. As others have said, worth more to us now than anyone else, and I don't believe one mistake makes CCJ a toxic player.
Just seen that the players will be paying the $75k, which definitely changes my opinion on this

Last edited:
Absolutely disgraceful, should be delisted.

Cats being a good friend to Richmond can pick him up as DFA so you don't pay him out your cap...

More seriously let he who has never been arrested in front of a strip club throw the first stone. Next contract will have done strong behaviour based clauses that's about it

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well if I was CCJ who is a good foward also going by his VFL games and junior games
Crows - Yes Have a good young ruck but only 2 decent looking KPF Himmelberg & Fogarty, He gives them the option to rotate O'B and CCJ between the 2 positions.

Carlton - Pittonet & Kreuzer just stop gap or ready to retire with just the young De Koning on the list
GWS - No Need to say anymore
GC - Witts then ...............................
Brisbane - Jamar cooked
Doggies - English then ? Same situation as Crows

But i rather keep CCJ and trade either Soldo/Nank

I know it's just a slip of the tongue (typing tongue at least) but calling Stef Martin 'Jamar' was amusing to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back