Traded Callum Coleman-Jones [Traded to North Melbourne with 42, 47 and a future 4th for Tarrant, 40 and a future 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but if the tables were turned, I wouldn't begrudge Richmond sending a player to the PSD without a favorable deal.
Despite what many of my fellow supporters think, the psd is there to help the bottom clubs get us contracted players without giving up anything in return.
Wouldn’t have begrudged north for doing it at all.
it is what it’s there for after all.

Because we needed him for next year when Jack Riewoldt retires .
If he stayed at Richmond we would have straightened him out .
I think at North he will be strutting around with Stephenson causing mischief.
What a campaigner of a bloke, probably an anti vaxxer too.
Tyrone Vickery the 2nd

I would have much preferred to hang on to Chol but can understand with covid and his family living in Brisbane

CCJ = Great White Hype

Richmond want him for depth,Nothing more.

Chols best is miles ahead of CCJ
Something about toys and them being thrown out of the cot

Tyrone Vickery the 2nd

I would have much preferred to hang on to Chol but can understand with covid and his family living in Brisbane

CCJ = Great White Hype

Richmond want him for depth,Nothing more.

Chols best is miles ahead of CCJ
Disagree, CCJ has more talent than Marbs although Marbs is a much better bloke and probably the one who will work harder to make it.

Didn't get the opportunities at the Tigers as it's been a tough team to break into. Should slot in nicely with the timelines North have, now we get to see how he goes with some regular footy under the belt.

You can't begrudge him leaving for a $2 million dollar deal over 4 or 5 years.

We simply don't have that room on our list with other recent signings and priorities. It's the price of success. Fringe players slip out for more cash and opportunity, not dissimilar to Chol , Butler, Ellis, Miles, Markov, Higgins over recent years.

Strange that Balme gave him a whack on the way out though

Seems relationships between CCJ and the club are really breaking down, loyalty card is practically worthless now.

CCJ probably happy we go with 69 or PSD now, just as long as he's out of there. Bad time for a club to get snotty and burn bridges!

We don't know maybe he told the club he's leaving regardless of what trade is offered. If so I have no problem with the club being a bit pissed off with him.

Yeah seems they're resigned to getting nothing (or something nowhere even 38) otherwise it's not endearing him to do what he can for Richmond.

Even then, despite what you feel a player owes the club, I wouldn't be playing that out in public. Not sure if it's the fact Balme has been at bigger clubs like Geelong and Richmond that he's not used to being in this position. Bit odd.

It wasn't that bad when you read it all in context. They are obviously disappointed, maybe moreso because they've gotten on the phone with NM to discuss a trade and maybe North flagged the PSD or way unders? Could contribute to the club being pissed off.

Yeah seems they're resigned to getting nothing (or something nowhere even 38) otherwise it's not endearing him to do what he can for Richmond.

Even then, despite what you feel a player owes the club, I wouldn't be playing that out in public. Not sure if it's the fact Balme has been at bigger clubs like Geelong and Richmond that he's not used to being in this position. Bit odd.

I really don’t think players owe clubs anything under any circumstances.

People tried to say Tippa owed Essendon for developing him through the VFL and taking a chance on him in the rookie draft. It’s bullshit imo.

It wasn't that bad when you read it all in context. They are obviously disappointed, maybe moreso because they've gotten on the phone with NM to discuss a trade and maybe North flagged the PSD or way unders? Could contribute to the club being pissed off.

Combined with Carros arrow it seems quite clear that the club isn’t happy.

Well based on Balmes interview, North may as well take #38 off the table now.

5th rounder, take it or leave it.

Clipping him on the way out, OOC, PSD - the tigers may have the lowest amount of leverage in negotiations ever..

I don’t think that would be good business.

The Tigers may not think pick 38 is a fair trade but the 16 other clubs and more importantly player managers would see it as a fair offer.

I think there is value in being seen as a reasonable trade partner across the league. If Richmond want more than 38 and start dragging their heals it’d be them hurting their reputation not North.

Put all the banter about CCJ to one side, you must have had the time of your life in the last 5 years. Hope you remember this era with the same affection that old North stagers like me do for the 1990s. Good luck

Excuse me for going off topic, but yes I have. It's been surreal as I was born in '88 into a big, die-hard RFC family (I have 26 cousins on dad's side, all Tigers) - long after any real successful period for the club. Richo was my hero as a kid. I nursed both his mum & dad several years ago and every time he came to visit them I just went blank and couldn't even talk to him haha.

I used to go to games, yell and scream, no idea if we would win. Emotional roller coaster. It's fascinating to me how when your team becomes good the games become sort of relaxing, not boring but definitely less interesting. You show up knowing you are favourites and that most of the time you will win, maybe put them away in 3rd Q, take the foot off the throttle etc while the oppos go on about 'honourable defeat' and 'pushing them to the end' etc. I realised that the frustration was coming back this year...maybe that's how you know your club is on the slide; they lose and you get upset instead of just surprised.

It's lovely to have all of that indifference or warmth turn into jealously and resent.

More than anything else I will remember breaking down in tears when the siren went in 2017 (I was fortunate enough to go in 17 & 19). I had the first ever beer with my dad after the game (an ex-alcoholic). The next two were good but nowhere near as significant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we needed him for next year when Jack Riewoldt retires .
If he stayed at Richmond we would have straightened him out .
I think at North he will be strutting around with Stephenson causing mischief.
So CCJ should just give up over $1m guaranteed to just wait another year to see if Riewoldt retires and whether Richmond trade in a better Riewoldt replacement or not? You can’t honestly believe that.
It’s unfortunate timing but if the club really think he’s the answer to Riewoldts retirement you should have given him more opportunity and made him a better offer.
My guess is when Riewoldt retires you’ll trade in a much better player than CCJ and you won’t care.

The Tigers may not think pick 38 is a fair trade but the 16 other clubs and more importantly player managers would see it as a fair offer.

I think there is value in being seen as a reasonable trade partner across the league. If Richmond want more than 38 and start dragging their heals it’d be them hurting their reputation not North.

Going to play out like the Hately trade to Adelaide. Same position. Hately was a #14 draft pick I believe and he left for free to Adelaide in the Pre Season Draft. I think Richmond know they can't get anything for him and hence giving him a whack on the way out. He will get to North for free

The COVID thing has more to do with smarts than anything else. You can't honestly believe that Richmond didn't know that players were going out. You can't honestly believe that players from the majority of the teams weren't breaking Covid protocols. CCJ and Stack were just stupid enough to get caught on camera. The rest of the league was probably pissed off with them because it meant that none of them could go out any more.
Questioning a blokes character for this is just naive. Questioning his brains, not so much.

I really don’t think players owe clubs anything under any circumstances.

People tried to say Tippa owed Essendon for developing him through the VFL and taking a chance on him in the rookie draft. It’s bullshit imo.
I sort of feel players owe clubs if a direct result of what they’ve done has cost the club $100k fine and cost somebody their job. Instead of sacking the players on the spot like many were calling for they instead back the 2 players in. One of those players, the one from an underprivileged background decides to repay the club and signs a one year incentivised contract and earn back the trust of the club, the other decides to piss in the face of the club and leave for a long term contract somewhere else. Think it shows a bit about the character of the kid.

Essendon fan questioning other clubs about how to trade fairly lol

I sort of feel players owe clubs if a direct result of what they’ve done has cost the club $100k fine and cost somebody their job. Instead of sacking the players on the spot like many were calling for they instead back the 2 players in. One of those players, the one from an underprivileged background decides to repay the club and signs a one year incentivised contract and earn back the trust of the club, the other decides to piss in the face of the club and leave for a long term contract somewhere else. Think it shows a bit about the character of the kid.

I'm sure if Stack had 5 years on the table from a club vs 1+incentives he'd most likely take the 5 year deal as well.

I get what you’re saying but he doesn’t owe you the best part of his career if he thinks it will be wasted and to leave over $1m on the table. That’s too much to expect.

So CCJ should just give up over $1m guaranteed to just wait another year to see if Riewoldt retires and whether Richmond trade in a better Riewoldt replacement or not? You can’t honestly believe that.
It’s unfortunate timing but if the club really think he’s the answer to Riewoldts retirement you should have given him more opportunity and made him a better offer.
My guess is when Riewoldt retires you’ll trade in a much better player than CCJ and you won’t care.
He should of taken the 2 year deal at Richmond with a view to get a bigger contract after that.
He would have been playing finals and possibly winning a flag which is also motivation to sign on at Richmond.
Neil Balme is a reasonable man and he's very dissapointed with CCJ.

Honest question, who lost their job as a direct result of their actions?

Except it was the club that was fined and CCJ paid its debt, not the other way around. Also $25k of that was for the captain's wife's behaviour.

Let’s not kid ourselves. They were only ever kept because Richmond thought they would benefit from it long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back