Past Callum Sinclair - retired 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

ZslCYQFE.jpg

Callum Sinclair

Player Profile

Callum Sinclair was traded from the West Coast Eagles to the Sydney Swans ahead of season 2016 and has since played vital roles as a key forward and ruckman. Over his first two seasons at the Swans he played primarily as a forward as Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith carried the ruck load, but the retirement of Tippett and Naismith’s ACL rupture left him with the chief ruck duties in 2018 and 2019. That was until he dislocated his right shoulder twice in Round 15, an injury that ended his season. Sinclair banked a stellar 2020 pre-season campaign and has a burning desire to play every game at the top level this year. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (West Coast) No. 12; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (West Coast); 2015 AFL Draft traded by West Coast for Lewis Jetta.

Callum Sinclair

DOB: 23 September 1989
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Port Melb (VFL)/Subiaco (WAFL)/WCE

Last edited:
We fair better with a one-ruck structure going forward. Franklin and Reid have the tall forward spots cemented so Sinclair needs to keep plugging away in the NEAFL for an opportunity as first ruckman. Naismith wasn't great today, not enough to be dropped but another poor game and he'll be feeling the pressure.

No way would I mess with the structure of Reid and Rohan playing deep

Seems to that both them guys are more confident and fly for there marks when giving more space

Honestly don't think we can have a resting ruck in the team

This is working well against single ruck teams.

I wonder if we'll roll the dice vs Mummy and Lobb though?

But honestly I don't see why not. It's not as if Lobb is good for more than 10 hitouts anyway.

Our nimble backline handled Wright, Lynch and May swinging well enough.

I think he's maligned as a forward, since he's shown that he can play it quite well at times. I just don't think he gets much of a crack there in the seniors, whereas in the reserves he gets close to 50% game time. He kicked a bag today, admittedly against a lesser quality player, but marked and lead well.

So hang on, you want to swap Robinson/Florent for Stinklair. Yet your argument is Robinson/Florent played average against a s**t AFL Suns, however you say Stinklair starred against a 10 times as s**t NEAFL Suns? I don't get the logic on that one!

You have a choice of Hayward, Tippett, Cunningham, Sinclair, Robinson or Aliir.

Aliir is not ready yet but he has good closing speed. Structure wise it is a bit of an issue if he is picked unless he swings from offence to defence.
Cunningham is what we may need against the giants but coming back from a fairly long injury. will he have match fitness?
Tippett can compete in ruck as second ruck. But he needs to find his Mojo.
Hayward I think needs to be rested he is not going to make that much more impact compared to florent.
Florent Has been struggling the last few weeks. needs time off.
Sinclair, has been playing well enough in the neafl and has shown heart but has not had enough impact as a ruckman.
Robinson, I think we have enough of his style players in the team for next week.

If both are fit I would pick one of Tippett or Cunningham. Tippett for rucking duties, or concede the ruck and go with speed with cunningham. A lot of people would not be happy with Tippett being picked but if he wants to keep his spot this is the game to bring him back in if fit.

I would want to go with Cunningham since we have a few slow pokes in the team. Before his injury he really showed his full potential. We need that back.

Aliir is not ready yet but he has good closing speed. Structure wise it is a bit of an issue if he is picked unless he swings from offence to defence.
Cunningham is what we may need against the giants but coming back from a fairly long injury. will he have match fitness?
Hayward I think needs to be rested he is not going to make that much more impact compared to florent.
Sinclair, has been playing well enough in the neafl and has shown heart but has not had enough impact as a ruckman.
Robinson, I think we have enough of his style players in the team for next week.

If both are fit I would pick one of Tippett or Cunningham. Tippett for rucking duties, or concede the ruck and go with speed with cunningham. A lot of people would not be happy with Tippett being picked but if he wants to keep his spot this is the game to bring him back in if fit.

I would want to go with Cunningham since we have a few slow pokes in the team. Before his injury he really showed his full potential. We need that back.

Tippetts injured isnt he?

Hayward needs to be rested? Fairly sure he's just had 2 weeks off hasn't he?

Tippett, Cunningham and Hayward all injured, none of them played today so I'd think it highly unlikely that any of them will come into the seniors next week.

Hayward needs to be rested? Fairly sure he's just had 2 weeks off hasn't he?

I don't think hayward has the fitness to go 4 quarters against a top 2 side like GWS. Same with Florent.

Tippetts injured isnt he?

Yeah That's why i said if he is fit same with Cunningham. both Cunningham and Tippett set to come back next week. If both are not available

Florent for hayward but you will get same results. You need a game changer like Aliir in this case.

But if you want to reward effort then reward Sinclair, as he has put in the hard yards to improve his game. Otherwise no changes except for JPK in Robinson Out

I don't get some of these posts. I was there, watching the reserves today. Hayward and Tippett are still injured and Sinclair was one of the best afield.

We need a 2nd ruck against the Giants, Reid and Towers simply won't do, especially if lose a player to injury. It always happens against that mob and the last thing we need is Reid injured or worse yet 60%+ game time in the ruck

I don't get some of these posts. I was there, watching the reserves today. Hayward and Tippett are still injured and Sinclair was one of the best afield.

We need a 2nd ruck against the Giants, Reid and Towers simply won't do, especially if lose a player to injury. It always happens against that mob and the last thing we need is Reid injured or worse yet 60%+ game time in the ruck
No we don't Chumpy, we need speed against the Giants. We were carved up by their speed last time (and that little campaigner Green) and we'll be carved up again if we go down the track of bringing in Stinklair. He dropped a sitter in the goal square today and he'll do it again against a team 20 times better than the one he played today!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think hayward has the fitness to go 4 quarters against a top 2 side like GWS. Same with Florent.

Yeah That's why i said if he is fit same with Cunningham. both Cunningham and Tippett set to come back next week. If both are not available

Florent for hayward but you will get same results. You need a game changer like Aliir in this case.

But if you want to reward effort then reward Sinclair, as he has put in the hard yards to improve his game. Otherwise no changes except for JPK in Robinson Out

Are you kidding re Hayward...he was drafted by the Swans because he got fit! FMWDWFTFIC?

No we don't Chumpy, we need speed against the Giants. We were carved up by their speed last time (and that little campaigner Green) and we'll be carved up again if we go down the track of bringing in Stinklair. He dropped a sitter in the goal square today and he'll do it again against a team 20 times better than the one he played today!
How'd we go in the 1st final against them last year without a ruck? Oh yeah, we lost.

How'd we go in the 1st final against them last year without a ruck? Oh yeah, we lost.
Chumpy...stop living in the past! Realise that Stinklair is great at dominating sub par teams in the NEAFL. He doesn't do any good at AFL level and wouldn't make an iota of difference against GWS!

We need that 2nd ruck against GWS though

Do we?

Hawks have played 1 ruck against Adel (a team of monsters), GWS with Mummy and Lobb, and Collingwood with Grundy and Cox for 2 wins and a draw.

I think our game benefits more from the flexibility. So much pf our pain early this season was because we had a losing/fifty-fifty ruck and mid division, then no outside run to cover as we coughed up clearances.

Also teams switching to an uncontested marking gameplan find it far easier to get that loose man isolated moving Sinkers, Naismith or Tippo around rather than Gaz.

Sinclair wont play v gws unless naismith is out
Fully agree with this post.
The reason we may now beat gws is because our forwards can all defend the run out of the back line. 2nd ruck resting fwd will make it harder especially against them

Sinclair is a good player but with McVeigh in the side I would prefer a midfielder/forward who can run rather than another ruck.

I worry about GWS's quick ball movement and pacy midfielders surging through the middle. I prefer a player who can pressure them in their half and also chase back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back