Callum Twomey's 2018 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the hype over the SA lads is overblown. Port have traded up to try and get one - in the same period when they lost a homegrown high draft pick (Wingard). There are no guarantees in life. The club needs to get its retention act together full stop - and draft the best available. That's how premierships are won.

IMO the hype over the SA lads is overblown. Port have traded up to try and get one - in the same period when they lost a homegrown high draft pick (Wingard). There are no guarantees in life. The club needs to get its retention act together full stop - and draft the best available. That's how premierships are won.

They lost 2 homegrown high draft picks.

The "issue" is in drafting best talent availiable, which is what we do.

All the players that leave are high quality and sought after.

DMac and Dougie are Victorians and they never left.......

I have no issue in us picking all non SA kids if that is the what Hamish and the guys seem the best talent available.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are you disagreeing with yourself again Watson?

Alleging what we do is unique as if it’s insightful and a reason for specific issues related to us;

And then rolling over and agreeing that all teams do the same thing :D
My point is that we do draft the best availiable talent and as you say (an obvious statement) all clubs do. I never said we were unique.

But when you draft best talent and develop them well other clubs will poach them. Guys like MacKay and Dougje never seemed to get "homesick".

If we fall back and draft SA kids only in fear of non SA kids, being poached our list will be worse off.

And even that is no guarantee of being poached as Port have learnt with Polec and Wingard.

I wont be melting if all our picks are non SA kids.

My point is that we do draft the best availiable talent and as you say (an obvious statement) all clubs do.

But when you draft best talent and develop them well other clubs will poach them.

You realise the contradiction right?

That there is a natural consequence based on what we do, which everyone else does too, but which then only affects us.

Reckon there are better theories out there ;)

You realise the contradiction right?

That there is a natural consequence based on what we do, which everyone else does too, but which then only affects us.

Reckon there are better theories out there ;)
I was agreeing with the post I was replying to ie dont just pick SA kids.

That point was lost on you.

I do believe however our point of difference is that we are good at developing talent. Look at our list and its quality and the draft picks used to develop that list.

When you are good at developing talent you risk it being poached.

I assume that he does it to make them spend their picks. So they pay full tote and are out of later picks.

I have always suspected that Hamish does it strategically partly for this reason, if you take into account who he thinks they might draft at those later picks that we might be interested in too. It's a win/win calculated risk. We bid on a player we rate. If we get them, awesome, but if not, then we get access to player/players later in the draft that the other club no longer can get them as they had to spend their picks.

I was agreeing with the post I was replying to ie dont just pick SA kids.

That point was lost on you.

Lol

you’ve never had a thought in your life that was beyond me, or most people for that matter ;)

I do believe however our point of difference is that we are good

When you are good at developing talent you risk it being poached.

So origin is irrelevant and draft strategy is irrelevant; people want our players because they’re good

I reckon that’s rubbish, I think they come for our players because they know they can shake them loose.

Lots of clubs develop and draft well, but they also retain pretty well.

Teams come for our lot because they can.

Because they’re good and gettable

I have always suspected that Hamish does it strategically partly for this reason, if you take into account who he thinks they might draft at those later picks that we might be interested in too. It's a win/win calculated risk. We bid on a player we rate. If we get them, awesome, but if not, then we get access to player/players later in the draft that the other club no longer can get them as they had to spend their picks.

Except we don’t have later picks we need to enhance

Lol

you’ve never had a thought in your life that was beyond me, or most people for that matter ;)

So origin is irrelevant and draft strategy is irrelevant; people want our players because they’re good

I reckon that’s rubbish, I think they come for our players because they know they can shake them loose.

Lots of clubs develop and draft well, but they also retain pretty well.

Teams come for our lot because they can.

Because they’re good and gettable
I never said it was the exclusive reason. Not overpaying top players to have a more even list also contributes to players leaving. As does not selecting them when unfit for a Grand Final.

Your initial reply implies you missed my initial point.

I was never implying draft selection is an exclusive reason for players leaving.

I was merely agreeing with that poster that a draft strategy where selecting SA talent is a priority ahead of best talent availiable is a poor strategy.

And one we dont seem to have.

This is the point you missed and inferred something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except we don’t have later picks we need to enhance

I would still bid on players tied to the stronger clubs (ie Collingwood). Make it harder for them to get decent players later on. No free hits.

Same reason I would only sell pick 21 to a weaker club.

I never said it was the exclusive reason. Not overpaying top players to have a more even list also contributes to players leaving. As does not selecting them when unfit for a Grand Final.

Your initial reply implies you missed my initial point.

I was never implying draft selection is an exclusive reason for players leaving.

I was merely agreeing with that poster that a draft strategy where selecting SA talent is a priority ahead of best talent availiable is a poor strategy.

And one we dont seem to have.

This is the point you missed and inferred something else.

Again, stop thinking you have higher plane thoughts.

That’s John Who’s schtick ;)

Again, stop thinking you have higher plane thoughts.

That’s John Who’s schtick ;)
And the personal insult implying your supposed intelligence above others after you are proven wrong, is your schtick.

Get a new routine buddy. You're boring and predictable.

Last edited:
Most phantom drafts I've seen have us getting Caldwell at 8. Given that I don't follow U18 or lower comps I have no idea what he's like, but based on comments above he seems alright.
Seen some with us getting hately at 13, that'd be great but I suspect he won't get past Port at 10. A few have us getting Duursma or Chayce Jones here instead.
Most have McHenry at 16. Small forward - I would think we have enough of those now?
Thoughts?

I assume that he does it to make them spend their picks. So they pay full tote and are out of later picks.
The alternative is letting the teams with Academy/FS players have freekicks to draft a good player and then still have access rights to another one later, so nup, kick them in the goolies instead.

How is Hamish the most “bid-happy” recruiter? We bid on Hamish Himmelberg once, plus a Brisbane player in the 3rd round which predated the current bidding process. I don’t recall any others...

2013 - Adelaide bid on Jono Freeman (from memory, think that's the one you mention)
2014 - Adelaide bid on Billy Stretch.
2015 - Adelaide bid on Harry Himmelberg
2016 - Adleaide bid on Harry Perryman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back