"Calm That Down, Boy!"...It's the Official Week 21 Thread!

The worst Coach in the NBA is:

• Sam Mitchell

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Byron Scott

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Jason Donovan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Randy Wittman

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Kurt Rambis

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • LeBron "Coach Killer" James

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was under the impression that they could?
Barnes definitely not.

Greens the one tho. 8f they go small ball that's the matchup the spurs can take advantage. Although the warriors were doubling late, so you probably need to have Parker on the other side of the floor and have Danny green or Manu in the far corner with the other one or kawhi making the entry pass so they can't sag off the entry or cheat from the back.

If they play big, well it's still green on LMA, although you might live with that as it should be more mid range with bogey and Tim on the court. Or switch him on Duncan...

A 7 game series between those 2 coaches will be absolutely fascinating.

What I found interesting was that the game was a defensive slugfest and not an offensive shoot out. That tells you that the game was played on the Spurs' terms.

The bad news for San Antonio is that the win wasn't amazingly convincing - Golden State were right there in the 4th. Usually a tough game at home spells problems when you visit the same opponents and the Warriors will have home court in the finals.

Anyone else reckon the East is getting interesting all of a sudden?

Six weeks ago it seemed like a fait accompli that the Cavs would roll everyone, but between the Raps, Hawks, Heat & Hornets there's a few in-form teams.

I think the 3 & D Hawks could be the ones to take it out, especially if Korver's return to form continues. Nearly everyone on their roster, including bigs, are a threat from deep.

Barnes definitely not.

Greens the one tho. 8f they go small ball that's the matchup the spurs can take advantage. Although the warriors were doubling late, so you probably need to have Parker on the other side of the floor and have Danny green or Manu in the far corner with the other one or kawhi making the entry pass so they can't sag off the entry or cheat from the back.

If they play big, well it's still green on LMA, although you might live with that as it should be more mid range with bogey and Tim on the court. Or switch him on Duncan...

A 7 game series between those 2 coaches will be absolutely fascinating.

Even Green is just too small for LMA, who has about 4 inches in height and wingspan over him.

Anyone else reckon the East is getting interesting all of a sudden?

Six weeks ago it seemed like a fait accompli that the Cavs would roll everyone, but between the Raps, Hawks, Heat & Hornets there's a few in-form teams.
Was thinking that last week, personally I'd love to see the Raptors go far. They've been nothing short of fantastic without Carroll and Valancunias.
The Heat and Hornets played a cracking game a few days ago and both are looking primed (hope Bosh gets back, and what's MKG's condition again?) for a healthy shot at the ECF.
The Hawks, yeah they're mr consistent and a jack of all trades team so who wouldn't love to see them do well; particularly after the fizzling end to last season.
Then you've got the Cavs and their deep Q's, eh. Lebron is the interest factor there but same old same old.
I've found the Pistons chemistry really interesting this season and hope they match up with Cleveland first up.

In short, yeah I'm keen on the east too lol.

I think the 3 & D Hawks could be the ones to take it out, especially if Korver's return to form continues. Nearly everyone on their roster, including bigs, are a threat from deep.

Atlanta will have a real problem if they run into Cleveland in a seven game series though, will get absolutely slaughtered on the boards as with the ECF.

Was thinking that last week, personally I'd love to see the Raptors go far. They've been nothing short of fantastic without Carroll and Valancunias.

Truth, and I think stewie griffen called it early that their additions were under-the-radar nice. Cory Jospeh takes some of the defensive duties and ball handling off Lowry, which means Lowry's fatigue level isn't an issue and his shooting form holds as a result.

Only 1.5 games behind the Cavs now too.

The Heat and Hornets played a cracking game a few days ago and both are looking primed (hope Bosh gets back, and what's MKG's condition again?) for a healthy shot at the ECF.

Miami have completely changed their dynamic, their bench is actually a strength now. They've played a few bunnies in their streak, but before the ASB they were one of the slowest, lowest scoring teams in the league; now they've hit 100 in ten straight for the first time in over 20 years.

They're so much better when they run, Dragic in particular. Getting another shooter in Iso-Joe was pretty big for spacing too.

As for Charlotte, get the feeling MKG won't be back, but they're classic nu-NBA in the way they play now with multiple ball handlers and shooters. Marvin Williams is a hugely underrated part of what they do, as strange as it sounds.

The Hawks, yeah they're mr consistent and a jack of all trades team so who wouldn't love to see them do well; particularly after the fizzling end to last season.

Sefolosha's really important for them, a bit like Doug Christie on the Kings of yesteryear. Hardaway Jr has busted out all of a sudden too.

Miami and Toronto are the only teams I'd give a slight chance.

Toronto love bottling it in the past few years though, so who knows.

Atlanta really isn't any better than last season and the Cavs still had a fairly easy time handling them.

Sure you're not confusing him with Kent Bazemore?

Yep positive, Bazemore's really nothing like Christie.

Sefolosha's a far superior defender and a legit glue guy. Anyone questioning his value need look no further than last year's playoffs when the Hawks fell apart without him.

Some similarities are there between these current Hawks and the early 2000s Kings, though.

Agreed, and incidentally both teams bear testimony to the effectiveness of a high post offence if you're lucky enough to have bigs who are triple threats.

Agreed, and incidentally both teams bear testimony to the effectiveness of a high post offence if you're lucky enough to have bigs who are triple threats.

Not saying it doesn't work, just saying it's better when you consistently hit the shots within the flow of the offense, and don't turn the ball over so much ;)

Not saying it doesn't work, just saying it's better when you consistently hit the shots within the flow of the offense, and don't turn the ball over so much ;)

Quite true, although wrt Boogie he's below average at the rim and turns it over when swamped, so there's no ideal solution... at least until he's surrounded by more and better shooters.

Steph Curry putting on an excellent version of a poor man's Brandon Knight today.

A destitute man's Norris Cole?

Quite true, although wrt Boogie he's below average at the rim and turns it over when swamped, so there's no ideal solution... at least until he's surrounded by more and better shooters.

The Kings are 9th in 3PT%, and #1 among non-playoff (outside the top 8 in their division) teams, but 22nd in 3PA attempt rate. They've got decent shooters, they just don't use them enough. Casspi, McLemore, Collison and Gay are all shooting at least .350 from downtown this season, and Belinelli is a career .381 3PT shooter who is having a down year, and even Rondo is shooting .349 from downtown on career-high attempts (more than double any other full season he's played) this year too. Boogie leading the league in usage (35.6%! More than Jordan in his prime!) and having to "get his" all the time probably does come at a bit of a detriment to the rest of the guys, too.

The Kings are 9th in 3PT%, and #1 among non-playoff (outside the top 8 in their division) teams, but 22nd in 3PA attempt rate. They've got decent shooters, they just don't use them enough. Casspi, McLemore, Collison and Gay are all shooting at least .350 from downtown this season, and Belinelli is a career .381 3PT shooter who is having a down year, and even Rondo is shooting .349 from downtown on career-high attempts (more than double any other full season he's played) this year too. Boogie leading the league in usage (35.6%! More than Jordan in his prime!) and having to "get his" all the time probably does come at a bit of a detriment to the rest of the guys, too.

I see it a bit differently, but Hipster Doofus can probably shed more light as I've probably only seen a quarter of the Kings' games this season.

Basically McLemore is a reticent shooter, Rondo even more so despite his improved percentages, while Rudy and Casspi play the same position.

I think they did try to go small, with disastrous results for their already porous defence. For the most part they start Rondo/McLemore/Rudy and WCS or Acy with Boogie, and it's just not quite enough floor spacing. Mind you, offence isn't really their problem for all their idiosyncrasies, same with the Pels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point is it's a once off. Curry has horrific games like this once in a blue moon and recovers very easily.

I dont think you get my point.
There's something called Defence. You're not playing offence against brooms. The spurs are an incredible defensive team (as are the Warriors). Great defence makes offence look bad. Steph had ONE shot off a pass today. He was being contested tightly all night long. Kawhi gaurding Green disrupted the warriors offence. Go have a look at the 2 Spurs-Heat series and tell me that the Heat are that bad an offensive team. This is playoff defence, and in tough series no-one has it easy.

Having said all that - it was a very close game when a lot of things were going against GSW. They will clearly remain the favourite and will be in the far better situation come the playoffs.

What I found interesting was that the game was a defensive slugfest and not an offensive shoot out. That tells you that the game was played on the Spurs' terms.

The bad news for San Antonio is that the win wasn't amazingly convincing - Golden State were right there in the 4th. Usually a tough game at home spells problems when you visit the same opponents and the Warriors will have home court in the finals.

Yep. The first game was played on GSW terms and they destroyed us.
This one was on the Spurs term and was a close win.
Doesnt bode particularly well in the likely event these teams meet in the playoffs, but at least the Spurs have some confidence now and some direction on how they might be able to beat the warriors.

Last edited:
For the most part they start Rondo/McLemore/Rudy and WCS or Acy with Boogie, and it's just not quite enough floor spacing.

zuLIC7L.png

Dat spacing!

Will write a bit about this in the next Weekly Thread, but yeah, Cousins' play is a confluence of a lot things: teammates, management, stubbornness, etc, etc.

zuLIC7L.png

Dat spacing!

Will write a bit about this in the next Weekly Thread, but yeah, Cousins' play is a confluence of a lot things: teammates, management, stubbornness, etc, etc.

About as succinct as gets hans!

Would also love to read a breakdown of Miami pre and post Bosh, can't recall such a dramatic in-season tempo adjustment before.

Yeah agree with this. Was a good win for the Spurs, but the Warriors had a couple missing and were coming off a B2B, plus Curry had an off night and they were still well and truly in it in the 4th. Will be a great battle between the two come finals time, but Golden State at home, fit and ready, will be a different story.

I see it a bit differently, but Hipster Doofus can probably shed more light as I've probably only seen a quarter of the Kings' games this season.

Basically McLemore is a reticent shooter, Rondo even more so despite his improved percentages, while Rudy and Casspi play the same position.

I think they did try to go small, with disastrous results for their already porous defence. For the most part they start Rondo/McLemore/Rudy and WCS or Acy with Boogie, and it's just not quite enough floor spacing. Mind you, offence isn't really their problem for all their idiosyncrasies, same with the Pels.
Basically this, whatever different looks Cousins teammates can get they're only ever used as bail out options and they're effectiveness is thus dampened.
He's a shocking ball hog and I could excuse it if Karl's system was built on that slow system isolating him in the post with shooters around him...but it isn't. It's run and gun, and he's the immovable object meeting a...spluttering force?

Yeah agree with this. Was a good win for the Spurs, but the Warriors had a couple missing and were coming off a B2B, plus Curry had an off night and they were still well and truly in it in the 4th. Will be a great battle between the two come finals time, but Golden State at home, fit and ready, will be a different story.

Golden State have been getting all the headlines, but the Spurs are right behind them with another historical season of their own. I'm sure they are liking not copping all the attention.

I think the home advantage is huge if they face each other in the Finals, but it will be a close one for sure. Warriors haven't won in San Antonio for about a thousand years.

Golden State have been getting all the headlines, but the Spurs are right behind them with another historical season of their own. I'm sure they are liking not copping all the attention.

I think the home advantage is huge if they face each other in the Finals, but it will be a close one for sure. Warriors haven't won in San Antonio for about a thousand years.

SA are always under the radar, each season. And then they win the Championship.

Back