List Mgmt. Cam and Zach Guthrie re-sign with Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

sauron256

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Taz
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong is keeping it in the family after securing the signatures of brothers Cam and Zach Guthrie.

Cam has signed on with the Cats for a further three years, keeping him at GMHBA Stadium until the end of 2021.

After 16 games in the blue and white hoops over two seasons, younger brother Zach has signed on until the end of 2020.
With Blicavs, Stewart, Fogarty, Constable, and O'Connor all signing extensions recently, it looks like the list is coming together for the next few years. :thumbsu:

Zac has been played before he should have been ... id like to see him ..or should I say not see him... play afl till he is more physically mature
The downside to being a very good football side when GWS and GC were pinching the eyes out of two consecutive drafts, then packaging multiple picks for good (Danger) and not-so-good (Zac Smith) players is exactly that - we just don't have the depth in the small defender ranks.

If I recall correctly, the club was pretty upfront that he, Simpson and Buzza were in the side before they were really ready, but it was last-soldier-standing.

at least they didnt get 5 years each

given how bad our list is i think its reasonable

hopefully Cam can regain his form from a few years ago and Zuthrie can put on some size

Excellent news.
Cam is indirectly responsible for us getting our MVP, so gets creds for that.
Secondly, he is a very good player, and we need players with his diversity.
Zac is getting early games which can only be positive for his future. He has ability and like his brother, is a quality person.

Neither is good enough to be an integral part of a premiership winning side IMO...

The more the game becomes about intent, physical pressure, etc, the less valuable players like the Guthries are. Refer to Richmond. Their players don't throw one arm out in an attempt to tackle like Cam and Parsons, they line the opposition up down the middle. Always go when it's their turn, etc.

We have other players I'd rather see the club invest in.

Would have preferred to see cam look at his fa options, but i hope he at least signed for less than the inflated figures being thrown around. Hopefully he earns his dollars though and buys a few bags of cement and a cutlery set with it.

I will reserve judgement on zac until he puts on more size and matures. Needs more time in the 2’s until he has a body worthy of playing senior football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The downside to being a very good football side when GWS and GC were pinching the eyes out of two consecutive drafts, then packaging multiple picks for good (Danger) and not-so-good (Zac Smith) players is exactly that - we just don't have the depth in the small defender ranks.

If I recall correctly, the club was pretty upfront that he, Simpson and Buzza were in the side before they were really ready, but it was last-soldier-standing.

lama ... have to disagree..... I don't see Zac having anything to do with using multiple picks on Danger or Smith. Our playing stocks ..if your are really cold eyed about it are thin due to years of success and a lack of success with the R1's we have had. I look at it this way.., off the top of my head.. Brown , Smedts , Lang , Thurlow. to a degree Hamling , Kersten ... yes some we just have been unlucky with Menzel.. but to be frank ..thats old news ..its a ecae ago we should have had it covered by now.

I do agree having multiple Rookies in the side .. says more about what we have not got . Really the likes of Parsons and ZG should probably not be able to get games..

The one thing I hope with Cam is that 130 matches into his career that they now pick a role for him and let him develop in that role.

Until round 4 this year, the club was treating Blicavs as a tall utility who would fill in gaps where it was needed, but since round 4 he has been our #1 tall defender and we have all seen how having just one role has seen him grow in confidence and take ownership of that role, and many of us are questioning how he now gets pushed aside from it - note we dropped our ruck for round 3 & used Blitz in that role, hence why I'm not counting his defensive role in the earlier rounds.

The reason I mention Blicavs is because Cam seems to have been used as our mid-sized utility over recent seasons, filling in gaps & holes left by injuries - last year he played midfield, defender, was moved forward for a couple of games due to lack of small forwards cause of injury (a move that didn't suit him, pressure was good but goal sense lacking), and then back to tagger when Scooter is missing.

So like with Blicavs, we need to stick him in a role, tell him that it is his role to take ownership of and not move him a couple of weeks later to fill a gap due to injury, suspension or management etc

Quite a novel idea, but one the club needs to stick with

Last edited:
just cant wait for murdoch to get an extension

will make my week
I see Murdoch getting a new contract for a couple of years based on how he has gone this season - that is unless he turns down the contract to look at other options which I don't he while do

The one thing I hope with Cam is that 130 matches into his career that they now pick a role for him and let him develop in that role.

Until round 4 this year, the club was treating Blicavs as a tall utility who would fill in gaps where it was needed, but since round 4 he has been our #1 tall defender and we have all seen just how having just one role has seen him grow in confidence and take ownership of a role that many of us are questioning how he gets pushed aside from it - note we dropped our ruck for round 3 & used Blitz in that role, hence why I'm not counting his defensive role in the earlier rounds.

The reason I mention Blicavs is because Cam seems to have been used as our mid-sized utility over recent seasons, filling in gaps & holes left by injuries - last year he played midfield, defender, was moved forward for a couple of games due to lack of small forwards cause of injury (a move that didn't suit him, pressure was good but goal sense lacking), and then back to tagger when Scooter is missing.

So like with Blicavs, we need to stick him in a role, tell him that it is his role to take ownership of and not move him a couple of weeks later to fill a gap due to injury, suspension or management etc

I think this is important.

Just as Blicavs has been able to settle into a roll and excel beyond expectations (on BigFooty anyway), I expect Cam will benefit from some consistent positioning.

have to disagree..... I don't see Zac having anything to do with using multiple picks on Danger or Smith. Our playing stocks ..if your are really cold eyed about it are thin due to years of success and a lack of success with the R1's we have had. I look at it this way.., off the top of my head.. Brown , Smedts , Lang , Thurlow. to a degree Hamling , Kersten ... yes some we just have been unlucky with Menzel.. but to be frank ..thats old news ..its a ecae ago we should have had it covered by now.
It's part of it, IMO - because we traded out depth in order to get a good player. Essentially, we lost three shots in the draft for Danger (well, two plus Gore), and two later shots for Smith - that compromises your depth.

Yes, we had Round One picks - but my point is that not all Round Ones are born the same. A top-ten round one pick is almost a gimme, but a 15 to 20 is more of a gamble. That's also not helped in the sense of building depth.

Same goes with Hamling and Kersten. They were picks in the 30s - sure, not bad picks, but not exactly a free throw either.

Amazing how Zuthrie has gone from exciting prospect and board fav to whipping boy in the space of half a season. There's nothing like jumping online to piss on a 19 year old in his second season.
It's because Motlop has left, Murdoch is going ok and Stanley didn't stink it up this week, that's why

Until round 4 this year, the club was treating Blicavs as a tall utility who would fill in gaps where it was needed, but since round 4 he has been our #1 tall defender and we have all seen just how having just one role has seen him grow in confidence and take ownership of a role that many of us are questioning how he gets pushed aside from it - note we dropped our ruck for round 3 & used Blitz in that role, hence why I'm not counting his defensive role in the earlier rounds.

Good post. Players who are adaptable are very useful in the modern game, for sure, but you don't get the best out of the player by using them as a 'permanent utility'. Blitz's best football has been in a set role - as second ruck (2015) and now as full back. I agree, C.Guthrie would also benefit from some stability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back