Delisted Cam Eardley (2012-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems pretty good. Has a bit of speed, good tackler and looks pretty solid and strong.

Ladies and gentlemen, James Kelly II.

Hope the guy turns out to be James Kelly mark 2 as suggested.

But if he is this good - why was he over looked in the main draft (over 70 players selected) and then got overlooked until our late Rookie draft pick ?

If you get a player from a Rookie draft pick, even a late National draft pick - then you have done very well.

Perhaps he will be Max Rooke mark 2 - as I think he was a rookie pick who became a very important player for us. But they are not a common commmodity.

Hope the guy turns out to be James Kelly mark 2 as suggested.

But if he is this good - why was he over looked in the main draft (over 70 players selected) and then got overlooked until our late Rookie draft pick ?

If you get a player from a Rookie draft pick, even a late National draft pick - then you have done very well.

Perhaps he will be Max Rooke mark 2 - as I think he was a rookie pick who became a very important player for us. But they are not a common commmodity.
I'm going to put this to my faith in Wells when I say Cam Eardley can't be a bad player. I mean, even Blake was good for a while, and that's considered Stephen's biggest blunder. Plus we all know how other clubs love to overlook our players a la Pods, Bartel, Selwood and co.

Max Rooke II is nothing to be embarrassed about either, he was a champ.

I'm going to put this to my faith in Wells when I say Cam Eardley can't be a bad player. I mean, even Blake was good for a while, and that's considered Stephen's biggest blunder. Plus we all know how other clubs love to overlook our players a la Pods, Bartel, Selwood and co.

Max Rooke II is nothing to be embarrassed about either, he was a champ.
Blake was in no way Stephen's biggest blunder. He wouldn't even be in the top 20 blunders.

I'm going by popular opinion, not my own.

I'm struggling to see how anyone with half a footy brain would suggest a 99 game premiership player would be a top 20 stuff up?

I'm going by popular opinion, not my own.
I'll go by facts.

Mark Blake - 2003 selection no. 38 (father-son) - 99 games.

Wells took over in 1995. These are a few of the selections far ahead of Blake in the race to be Wells' "biggest blunder" and you could argue many more if you wished.

Leigh Brockman - 1996 selection no. 8 - 2 games
Gerrard Bennett - 1996 selection no. 18 - 0 games
Joel McKay - 1997 selection no. 15 - 4 games
Peter Street - 1998 selection no. 17 - 17 games
David Clarke - 1998 selection no. 21 (father-son) - 89 games
David Spriggs - 1999 selection no. 15 - 64 games
Ezra Bray - 1999 selection no. 17 - 64 games
Daniel Foster - 1999 selection no. 23 - 17 games
Charlie Gardiner - 2001 selection no. 23 - 51 games
Tim Callan - 2002 selection no. 36 (father-son) - 15 games
Kane Tenace - 2003 selection no. 7 - 59 games
Cameron Thurley - 2003 selection no. 22 - 7 games
Stephen Owen - 2005 selection no. 35 - 0 games
Nathan Djerkurra - 2006 selection no. 25 - 4 games

I'll go by facts.

Wells took over in 1995. These are a few of the selections far ahead of Blake in the race to be Wells' "biggest blunder" and you could argue many more if you wished.

Ezra bray 64 games??/ don't think so...

I'm struggling to see how anyone with half a footy brain would suggest a 99 game premiership player would be a top 20 stuff up?

Have you not seen the criticism Blake gets?

P.S spuds can play a lot of games and premierships too.

I'll go by facts.

Probably true, but I don't blame him. A fair few players had some real potential

Blake was in no way Stephen's biggest blunder. He wouldn't even be in the top 20 blunders.

Blake played 99 games , any pick that gives you that any games would have to be considered a win. Donohue, Callan etc would be consider far less successful in my eyes. But Blunder? No.

To me is a blunder when one over looks a another player who becomes a match winner for a kid who goes nowhere. Like Hawthorn did going past Selwood. Maybe Spriggs? Bray is a sad affair , one the club and the AFL have hopefully learned from.

Back on topic..... Hows Cam going?. Showing some promise?.

Showed a bit in the finals last year , tough kid , has a bit of Dasher about him. More than anything its a spot to show his stuff. I have a feeling at a club like Melb he would be a real chance to be playing by now. At Geelong he has to do enough to be promoted at years end , and for that he probably needs a chance in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on topic..... Hows Cam going?. Showing some promise?.
Stacks of promise. Top 10 finish in the VFL B&F last year; is tough and works hard but can actually play as well. As Turbo says he's just a long way back in the queue at the moment.

He's more than just a small defender, played all over the place before being drafted.
Needs more opportunity.

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know why this guy never got a crack at AFL level (other than being a rookie only)?
I watched him in that 2012 grand final and couldn't believe a guy that goes that hard at it can't get a game with Chris Scott.
Didn't watch much VFL this year but saw the GF and while he wasn't as impressive as 2012 he still did good things and would've been worth keeping.

Only just found out he'd been delisted and I'm surprised no one picked him up this week really.

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know why this guy never got a crack at AFL level (other than being a rookie only)?
I watched him in that 2012 grand final and couldn't believe a guy that goes that hard at it can't get a game with Chris Scott.
Didn't watch much VFL this year but saw the GF and while he wasn't as impressive as 2012 he still did good things and would've been worth keeping.

Only just found out he'd been delisted and I'm surprised no one picked him up this week really.

Not sure I thought he was promising

Hey Guys,

As a founding member of the Cult of Eardley I was as shocked as anyone. Bloke played super hard and was ready to be a Geelong player thru and thru.

I can only assume that the club figured he had peaked and was not going to get any better. Bewildering to me but the club has spoken.

Hope he gets another shot somewhere else.

Go Catters

I'm not sure this chapter is closed. In Geelong perhaps, but not totally

Go Catters

Blake played 99 games , any pick that gives you that any games would have to be considered a win. Donohue, Callan etc would be consider far less successful in my eyes. But Blunder? No.

But Donahue played over 100 games, kicked more than 100 goals in a season and won the Coleman medal in 1976. He couldn't have been too bad. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back