Recommitted Cam Ellis-Yolmen [re-signed]

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
What about a straight swap, Cam Ellis-Yolmen for Sam Mayes?

Both fringe 1st 22 and Mayes is from Adelaide so may be open to the deal.

What happened to Mayes this year? Saw him last season I think and he looked ok. That deal seems pretty good actually apart from the fact that we are pretty well stocked in defence. We need mids and pressure forwards.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
What happened to Mayes this year? Saw him last season I think and he looked ok. That deal seems pretty good actually apart from the fact that we are pretty well stocked in defence. We need mids and pressure forwards.
Sam has fallen out of favor and been passed by the likes of Witherden and Robertson, Luke Hodge coming in hasn't done him any good either. IMO his best position his wing and floating forward. Change of scenery could do him good.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be fair, I would think CEY might see limited opportunities with the crows anyway and a move might be the best thing for him for his career. Don't want to see him go as he has played some good footy this year after a year out with an ACL but he is behind the crouch brothers, Sloane, Gibbs and Greenwood and would rely on injuries or poor form from them to be playing. As it is apparently Brisbane interested, Noble would know all about him and what he might bring to the Brisbane team. Speculating, I think he might be part of a package to try and secure Brisbane's 1st rounder but this probably would include one or 2 of the crows top 20 picks.
This is just my opinion without seeing a whole lot of the Crows this year - although watching a fair bit of them over the last few years as they've been in big games.

But if it were me in charge of the Crows I'd be very keen next year to get Gibbs (aged 30) to play half back flank, Sloane (aged 29) to play a lot of half forward and to get M Crouch, Greenwood and CEY to do a lot of the crash and bash midfield minutes with B Crouch if available. Then as the season goes on and injuries occur or it gets to the serious stuff you've got the luxury of Sloane and Gibbs in to the midfield. I also would've moved on Tom Lynch to open up that extra best 22 spot and to spread the load of Betts, Walker and Lynch maybe all ageing out of the team at the same time.

Anyway, I do like CEY. Plenty of somewhat big mids but he's a proper big one! Should always be more of a tagger or stoppage player but there's no harm in that. Wouldn't break the bank for him but I can see him having value to a new side, just as I think he has value to the Crows!

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is just my opinion without seeing a whole lot of the Crows this year - although watching a fair bit of them over the last few years as they've been in big games.

But if it were me in charge of the Crows I'd be very keen next year to get Gibbs (aged 30) to play half back flank, Sloane (aged 29) to play a lot of half forward and to get M Crouch, Greenwood and CEY to do a lot of the crash and bash midfield minutes with B Crouch if available. Then as the season goes on and injuries occur or it gets to the serious stuff you've got the luxury of Sloane and Gibbs in to the midfield. I also would've moved on Tom Lynch to open up that extra best 22 spot and to spread the load of Betts, Walker and Lynch maybe all ageing out of the team at the same time.

Anyway, I do like CEY. Plenty of somewhat big mids but he's a proper big one! Should always be more of a tagger or stoppage player but there's no harm in that. Wouldn't break the bank for him but I can see him having value to a new side, just as I think he has value to the Crows!
You are right. CEY is a strong inside mid but whilst he was good for a few games, he fatigued the longer the season went in the absence of the crows 1st choice mids. He has come back this year from an ACL and maybe it has been a harder road to be at full fitness for him. He offers good depth for the crows but if he was to head to a team like brisbane or carlton for example for more opportunities he would offer plenty to help take the heat off of the younger mids at those clubs. There are others at the club i would rather see leave than him for sure

I hope not.
Do not rate at all
How’s Dylan Clarke going then? You still need that extra inside mid coverage as slingshot footy isn’t sustainable without decent inside mid depth.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
How’s Dylan Clarke going then? You still need that extra inside mid coverage as slingshot footy isn’t sustainable without decent inside mid depth.
We need quality inside mids not just mids for the sake of it. I don’t think Clarke will make it TBH. I’ve seen plenty of CEY especially at SANFL level and he is a butcher, we have enough of those on our list already. If we can’t attract a decent mid this year we are better off stockpiling some cash and going to the draft this year. Have another crack at a decent FA next year

We need quality inside mids not just mids for the sake of it. I don’t think Clarke will make it TBH. I’ve seen plenty of CEY especially at SANFL level and he is a butcher, we have enough of those on our list already. If we can’t attract a decent mid this year we are better off stockpiling some cash and going to the draft this year. Have another crack at a decent FA next year
How would you look at?

This year I’d hope we would be enquiring about guys like Shiel, Brad Crouch, Setterfield, Beams etc. If there is no luck there we go to the draft and have another crack next year.
I don’t want guys like Wallis, CEY
Setterfield is going to the blues by the looks of it. SHIEL is the best bet.

Shiel would be an absolute perfect fit for the Bombers. Gives them the inside grunt without sacrificing any of the speed and line-breaking they build their gameplan around. Get him in and keep him fit and they'll make top 4 next year.

Shiel would be an absolute perfect fit for the Bombers. Gives them the inside grunt without sacrificing any of the speed and line-breaking they build their gameplan around. Get him in and keep him fit and they'll make top 4 next year.
Agreed, I was thinking the exact same thing, they could be a really scary side next year with Shiel. Not quite top 4 for mine due to queries over their forward line, but top 8 definitely.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Agreed, I was thinking the exact same thing, they could be a really scary side next year with Shiel. Not quite top 4 for mine due to queries over their forward line, but top 8 definitely.
Would need someone to teach Joey how to kick if we are to finish near the top 4.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Im hoping CEY gets to the suns.. and can get a regular game... he’s not best 22 for the crows next year with sloane, greenwood, gibbs, mcrouch, bcrouch, laird (possibly moving into the centre).

Great bloke, solid but not outstanding player thats unfortunately had a bad run with injury.

Was good for us in the first half of this season.. but really only played due to injuries to bcrouch, mcrouch and sloane..

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Forward line was very good in 2017. Essendon's biggest issue will be beating sides that get a hold of them at the contest and the fact we generate a lot of scores from the back half leaving us vulrenable to sides who set up well behind the ball (Hawthorn/Richmond/Collingwood)

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
Im hoping CEY gets to the suns.. and can get a regular game... he’s not best 22 for the crows next year with sloane, greenwood, gibbs, mcrouch, bcrouch, laird (possibly moving into the centre).

Great bloke, solid but not outstanding player thats unfortunately had a bad run with injury.

Was good for us in the first half of this season.. but really only played due to injuries to bcrouch, mcrouch and sloane..
Has there been suggestion he'd like to go to the suns? Or just a hope of yours?
I'd like him there , just haven't seen anything anywhere to suggest he'd like to come our way.

Back