Toast Cam Ellis Yolmen

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't think I've ever seen a thread for Cam Ellis-Yolmen here really but don't think he's not gotten enough love here lately despite really playing some extremely strong football for numerous weeks now. I've always supported the clubs decisions with Cam and his contracts and if early season form can hold up they will certainly be vindicated for sticking with him. The last 2 weeks against Freo and Port were some of the best footy he's played in my opinion.

Lets hope he continues as he's becoming quite a valuable player for us.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Easy to forget that he's been on our list for eight seasons now. A real journeyman, but he seems to have really found his feet this year and along with Greenwood is offering a massive point of difference in our midfield, which is otherwise a bit predictable.

He was surprisingly useful at dropping back into defence and clearing the ball last night, too.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Easy to forget that he's been on our list for eight seasons now. A real journeyman, but he seems to have really found his feet this year and along with Greenwood is offering a massive point of difference in our midfield, which is otherwise a bit predictable.

He was surprisingly useful at dropping back into defence and clearing the ball last night, too.
Up until a few weeks ago I didn't think he was a best 22 player.

That has definitely changed
Looks the fittest he's been by a mile. Doesn't look to be labouring and is running on top of the ground. Much more acceleration than he's had too. Very impressed.

Looks to have leaned down just a bit more. Might have aided with mobility. There was a time last night in the first quarter that he even showed a bit of explosive pace on the chase. Whatever the case he's doing a great job at present and really could play a huge role in our finals aspirations.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
People comment about his fitness, but I think it’s more between the ears. He used to bully teams in the SANFL, and then come up and look overawed in the AFL.

This time he looks like he’s ready to bully Brownlow medalists that get in his way! Somethings changed up stairs for him, and it’s a thing of beauty to watch.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
When you get backed in and get continuity with games look what happens.

And this is where many of us fall down in our looking in. We don't know the personalities of the players like the coaches should or do. Our development of players is so top notch that I am willing to give the coaching staff a benefit of doubt when considering our younger players and their overall form. We saw towards the end of last season Gooch really developing well and being more involved in games for longer.

On Cam though as this is a rightful thread about how important he is to our midfield and team. I've long thought he had all the tools to be a quality AFL player and am so glad that the continuity, the changeups in our midfield structure and the trust he has from the coaching staff are really starting to pay off. It also helps that our two rucks are ones that he is familiar with from the SANFL. Last night when players from both sides were really struggling about being clean around the ball, he was the one who really seemed to have a dry footy in his hands.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
And this is where many of us fall down in our looking in. We don't know the personalities of the players like the coaches should or do. Our development of players is so top notch that I am willing to give the coaching staff a benefit of doubt when considering our younger players and their overall form. We saw towards the end of last season Gooch really developing well and being more involved in games for longer.

On Cam though as this is a rightful thread about how important he is to our midfield and team. I've long thought he had all the tools to be a quality AFL player and am so glad that the continuity, the changeups in our midfield structure and the trust he has from the coaching staff are really starting to pay off. It also helps that our two rucks are ones that he is familiar with from the SANFL. Last night when players from both sides were really struggling about being clean around the ball, he was the one who really seemed to have a dry footy in his hands.
Last night I just kept seeing the ball being tapped into the middle of 2 or 3 Port Players, and then Cam forcing his way into the fold to stop an easy clearance (and often winning it for us).

I hate to think about the score line if he (and Greenwood) weren’t at the coalface

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last night I just kept seeing the ball being tapped into the middle of 2 or 3 Port Players, and then Cam forcing his way into the fold to stop an easy clearance (and often winning it for us).

I hate to think about the score line if he (and Greenwood) weren’t at the coalface

This is right. Regardless of his "disposal" numbers, he actually touched the ball many more times and prevented oppo use of it.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
People forget that he was coming back from a knee reconstruction last season and he still played a couple of blinders before hitting the wall. He had gone over to Arizona to train hard at his own expense before doing his knee in a preseason game.

+1 He has been great ever since the extra training and ACL, IMO. He was "rested" last year by the club, who probably knew more than me, but his game still looked OK to me.

Alwaysacrow

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He has certainly gotten the best he could from what he's got and has earned it. Now the club is rewarding him as they should. Well done Cam.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

I’m talking about the numerous times we give a player a game or two here or there and when they don’t perform immediately (of course they won’t) they get dropped back for a senior player.
See Poholke, this year and Fogarty last year for two recent examples.

Posted after the NM game:

<adjusts tie>

1557640103233.png

The problem with most supporters a need for almost instant stardom from players. Most need to work their way into the system and have a decent, continuous number of games. We as supporters have a fair history in this regard. See Nathan Bock as a prime example. Same thing is happening with Gallucci and Poholke now. Not saying everyone makes it as most don't but we have a bad habit of writing players off way too soon.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought we should just delist him as he was getting on in years and I wanted us to use a younger guy as depth.

I was wrong

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Always been a big fan and thought he had a bit to offer our midfield but thought he was going be cover for serious midfield injuries only however he's worked his way into the 22 and is now best 22 with a pretty full list in the area he's playing. Certainly deserves it and hope his strong run continues and he can get himself a good deal (whether it be at the Crows or elsewhere).

Back