Toast Cam Ellis Yolmen

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Midfield looks a LOT better with him in ahead of Gibbs.

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would like to see how our midfield balance goes against a top team with multiple quick skilled midfielders. Not popping champagne corks just yet.

We will get our chance soon enough. We have West Coast in a fortnight, GWS the week after that, and then Richmond the following week just before the bye. Immediately after the bye we have Geelong. By then we certainly will be in a position to make realistic and considered judgements. However, the competition is very even so that in a sense every week is a test. I have yet to watch the replay but from memory didn't like the way we allowed Sam Powell-Pepper to break away from the centre a number of times as the second half progressed. I noticed Matt Crouch was going with him early and am wondering if this had anything to do with Crouch going off injured?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Starting to do in the AFL what he does in the SANFL. He's doing a huge job, can he sustain it ??

People comment about his fitness, but I think it’s more between the ears. He used to bully teams in the SANFL, and then come up and look overawed in the AFL.

This time he looks like he’s ready to bully Brownlow medalists that get in his way! Somethings changed up stairs for him, and it’s a thing of beauty to watch.
I believe it's called self-belief

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was a fan of getting him into the side back in 2015 - when Walsh was building towards 2017.

I think his selection policy and some of the decisions he has made (leaving Hartigan on Stringer for 5 goals) show that he has a real eye to our 2017 push. Giving blocks of games in a row to CEY, Lever & Kelly (who had a combined total of 1 AFL game prior to 2015) and giving Grigg, Lyons, Crouch and Cameron an extended run to see where they fit.

He is in a good position where we are 5-2 and he can keep playing youngsters. I just hope that if things turn bad he doesn't get jumpy.

Must admit though - as recently as 3 weeks ago wanted him out and to see out the rest of his career in the 2's. He has really proven a lot of people wrong. Really hope it continues.

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m talking about the numerous times we give a player a game or two here or there and when they don’t perform immediately (of course they won’t) they get dropped back for a senior player.
See Poholke, this year and Fogarty last year for two recent examples.

Our player identification and development cannot be questioned. Top 3 in the league IMO.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem with most supporters a need for almost instant stardom from players. Most need to work their way into the system and have a decent, continuous number of games. We as supporters have a fair history in this regard. See Nathan Bock as a prime example. Same thing is happening with Gallucci and Poholke now. Not saying everyone makes it as most don't but we have a bad habit of writing players off way too soon.
Yep , half the folks on here did the same with Milera and Keath .

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
CEY was ready to rock in 2017 but that knee injury in the pre-season game vs Richmond ruined his season and I honestly thought that would be the last we’d see of him at AFL level. Kudos to the club for sticking with him, he showed at the start of 2018 he has plenty to offer and this year he’s taken another step forward again. He along with Greenwood give us the tall big bodied midfielders we crave and have been a major factor in the turnaround in our form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I would like to see how our midfield balance goes against a top team with multiple quick skilled midfielders. Not popping champagne corks just yet.

He has done everything you could ask in the last 4 weeks against 4 likely non-finalists.
Our midfield balance might be off against elite midfields - but CEY is not going to wait around

30 possessions - 17 contested
32 pressure acts and 10 tackles

Central figure in our second quarter dominance

We have already seen Gibbs cop it because of having too many similar midfielders. Well done to CEY for earning his place. There might be more surprises to come.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
A mate I play footy with asked me yesterday 'who is the big indigenous lad playing in Crows midfield?'

Told him who it was and he asked was he a new mature age recruit as he'd never seen him before

'Nah just a lazy 7 or so seasons on list'

He was gobsmacked

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Cam has been one of the chief beneficiaries of the way we now play. An attritional, territory based game is smack bang in his wheelhouse.

Crucial player now
Agreed, now we need some of our "outside" players to step up to the plate on a CONSISTENT basis to take advantage of our inside extractors.

Last edited:
Back