Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

You are of course entitled to your view but a player is an employee - all you can ask for is their loyalty and best efforts whilst they're employed - you can't blame them if they are shown the door and end up at another Club.

That is more or less the point I was making. But yeah, the other side of the coin is also true for the players.

It's just too bad the emotional people (women usually, but not always) have to give me snake eyes at games when I call out Guthrie for his on-field garbage. :p

Personally I think we should take a deep breath over Guthrie and lets see what transpires in the early games of this season. He showed pretty reasonable signs in the pre-season comp this year and despite what his more vocal critics may think, he has played good football in the past albeit not consistently enough.

He's a contracted Geelong player, has obviously had a good pre-season and like it or not, he will run out in the hoops against the Pies.

I hope he makes a good positive contribution. He is capable of it.

Personally I think we should take a deep breath over Guthrie and lets see what transpires in the early games of this season.

There's a well documented gap in the team, between the best and the rest. Guthrie has been THE passenger player now for years, riding with the momentum of the team, for good or bad. He's never truly influential either way, that's my opinion.

For Geelong to be a chance this year, Guthrie is a classic of a player that must lift and really own a particular role. Decent, valuable players don't get moved around all the time like he does, the team can't afford for it to happen! Either that or the young players take the next step, and show more consistency with another pre-season under their belt. If this is the case (+ status quo with Guthrie), he should be dropped.

There's a well documented gap in the team, between the best and the rest. Guthrie has been THE passenger player now for years, riding with the momentum of the team, for good or bad.

I'd actually suggest he's one of the few players we have who plays their best in tougher games when the team needs it. Like last year when he had good games in close matches against Melbourne in round 1, Hawthorn in round 2 (he was particularly important in driving the comeback), the dogs in his comeback match from injury and the second game against Richmond. He was even better than most (not hard) in the final. That's not really suggestive of a downhill skier or passenger. I actually also think people are still judging him based on his 2017 form (which was horrid) rather than his 2018 form which was better except for a bad month after coming back from a nasty injury.

All fit do you still have him best 22 and if so where does he play?

Right now comfortably best 22. Play him as a defensive minded midfielder and our first choice to run with an opposition mid. His importance is magnified because most of our midfielders aren't great defensively and struggle to be accountable which makes players like him, Parfitt and Dahlhaus drifting through midfield more important.

Right now comfortably best 22. Play him as a defensive minded midfielder and our first choice to run with an opposition mid. His importance is magnified because most of our midfielders aren't great defensively and struggle to be accountable which makes players like him, Parfitt and Dahlhaus drifting through midfield more important.
I see that as just trying to shoehorn him in some where,the midfield is full the backline is full,where am I going to put him?he will play lots of games this year simply because we won't most weeks have every one available.

Can't really see Guthrie as a lock type player, depth yes, but is that enough to be a 10yr+ player at a club with premier aspirations?
I don't know,... but I thought trading up was what brought that sort of success.

I see that as just trying to shoehorn him in some where,the midfield is full the backline is full,where am I going to put him?he will play lots of games this year simply because we won't most weeks have every one available.

Who is your tagger in midfield? Guthrie has done very well in run-with roles plenty of times and I think he's clearly the best bet. With Ablett moving out of midfield and Scott Selwood not playing at least round 1 I think our midfield is far from full (Parfitt will shift a bit more in there but that's about it).

He was even better than most (not hard) in the final. That's not really suggestive of a downhill skier or passenger.

Elimination Final V Melbourne
Cameron Guthrie
14 disposals, 4 clangers, 1 mark, 4 tackles

Champion data rated him 16th out of our 22 players on the day. Better than most? Worse than most by that measure.

I'd say this performance was very typical for Cam, not influential at all.

If they can pick up another 6 or 7 members, the Anti-Guther Gang will have to book a 2nd telephone box for their annual meeting.

Don't kid yourself, you're in the minority these days.

You're talking up a 140 game fringe player.

2-3 years ago when pretty much everyone was frothing over Guthrie being the next star midfielder PatrickBateman and myself were the only ones bringing any sense to this conversation.

We own it. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2-3 years ago when pretty much everyone was frothing over Guthrie being the next star midfielder PatrickBateman and myself were the only ones bringing any sense to this conversation.

We own it. :cool:
Nobody's ever going to dispute that.

And now you even have your very own Quarantined Thread.

How good is that, eh?

Everybody's a winner.:D

Personally I think we should take a deep breath over Guthrie and lets see what transpires in the early games of this season. He showed pretty reasonable signs in the pre-season comp this year and despite what his more vocal critics may think, he has played good football in the past albeit not consistently enough.

He's a contracted Geelong player, has obviously had a good pre-season and like it or not, he will run out in the hoops against the Pies.

I hope he makes a good positive contribution. He is capable of it.

I'm not a huge Guthrie fan but every side I picked he warranted a position early in the season.

I struggle with the notion he is comfortably best 22. In fact far from comfortable.
Yes he has put in a better show pre season. I would see these players as potential best 22;-
Stanley
Parfitt
Ablett
Clark
Taylor
Kolo
Smith
Kelly
Fogarty
Selwood
Ratagolea
Constable
Narkle
Duncan
Rohan
Henderson
Hawkins
Menegola
Atkins
Guthrie
Cunico
Miers
Dangerfield
Henry
Dahlhaus
O'Connor
Stewart
Abbott
Blicavs

Of course
Tuohy
Cockatoo
S.Selwood
Bews
Can work their way straight back in when fit

That is 29 now possible best 22 and 4 others when fit

Others who can work their way in are
Fort
Buzza
Zuthrie
Simpson
Kreuger
Draftees

No definite other than those who can change the course of games.

Ablett
Danger
Selwood
Hawkins
Bliitz
Stewart etc

Nobody's ever going to dispute that.

And now you even have your very own Quarantined Thread.

How good is that, eh?

Everybody's a winner.:D

Yep, reality hurts for some of the old boys on here... Go right back and have a look at the Guthrie chatter from the past. I'm not surprised it's quarantined, not at all. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Screenshot_20190321-182820_Chrome.jpg

On a serious note is he injured ? where is he should at least be on the emergency list

Well, his omission gives everyone a chance to see what the side looks like without him.

Will be an interesting conundrum if the ball is consistently moved forward, not back, and without hospital passes.

He is injured ... omission is a bit harsh. He can move the ball forward as much as anyone ..its the way he has been instructed to play. If how ever everyone else plays that style and when he comes back in he is not able to keep up with the Clarks and 2e's etc then it will be another test for Scott.

He is injured ... omission is a bit harsh. He can move the ball forward as much as anyone ..its the way he has been instructed to play. If how ever everyone else plays that style and when he comes back in he is not able to keep up with the Clarks and 2e's etc then it will be another test for Scott.

Omitted because of his injury.

I'm not sure hospital passes etc are part of his instructions.

I don't care why he's out,no Wookie is a good Wookie.I hope he has to come back via the AFL reasons 1 it will send a message through the team that there has been change in the off season.2 For a long time I've thought this bloke might respond to tough love or he will move on,either way we win.

I don't care why he's out,no Wookie is a good Wookie.I hope he has to come back via the AFL reasons 1 it will send a message through the team that there has been change in the off season.2 For a long time I've thought this bloke might respond to tough love or he will move on,either way we win.

Come back via afl lol just causing yourself pain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back