Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

hmmm
So you are trolling.

Noted.

GO Catters
Seeing you like it- don’t be all spooky when your posting rights evaporate

Go Catters

Ahhh smarty. You start a thread asking for opinions on Guthrie then get upset when people give their opinions on Guthrie. Hahaha

Nowhere in the OP did I ask for opinions on Guthrie. Unless you count the obviously rhetorical question about whether he's the devil. But maybe I overestimated you and you actually think that was a question I wanted answered. As I stated in the OP I started this thread to give my opinion and hopefully quarantine done if the Guthrie 'discussion' away from other threads. I'm pretty content they I achieved my aim.

I actually responded to your psuedo factual claim about Bontempelli . And has the thread made me upset? I wouldn't have said so. I've found most of the thread amusing or interesting and some of it (eg Guthrie hadn't got a Brownlow vote in finals) utterly hysterical.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to refer to other posters as "intellectual pygmies"......lets just settle.....

this thread is under the microscope....

if recent trends of insulting other posters and/or certain spurious accusations against Mods continues, this thread will be closed.

Didn’t the MC want Murdoch in the team for some 100 odd games? Please tell me how he was also a star during home and away seasons that we were ‘killing it’.
Injuries... amongst other things. And what ended up happening with Murdoch? Lastly, Guthrie and Murdoch are now on par?

Last edited:
Chris Scott playing Guthrie is Inigo Montoya fighting left handed - a master at that level needs to add his own challenge or it will just be trivially boring to go 11-1.

Whilst I understand this thread is for all of us fans to be an armchair coach and talk trash and football. Now for perhaps 13-14 other teams, whose seasons are looking more unlikely to fall short, I would say that it is fair to question the coaches. They may even have players, love or hate, who they want in or out of the squad.

However, we are 11-1. It is fair to say that the coaching group is smashing it.

Then this week, the media guys down a the cattery, after reading through the utter nonsense spewed forth on this thread, decided to write an article specifically just to say those giving him a wack are wrong. As a lot of us have noticed, he is playing as a more defensive mid in particular around stoppages: https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-06-11/guthrie-a-quiet-achiever

Even here, they do state that within isolated contests, you are going to be beaten when you are playing on the absolute best players in the competition. But, at the very least, if you break even with these players, that means our 4-5th mid is breaking even with the top 20 mids in the competition. Whilst it is fun to watch in a neutral game, why on earth would you want Duncan, Kelly, Danger going head to head against those gun players and perhaps winning, perhaps losing or breaking even when you can have Gutherie, a player who has spent a lot of time learning the defensive aspects of the game, doing it instead? (or for that matter Constable a bloke clearly not at the stage in his career to regularly go head to head with the competitions elite midfielders).

The stats show that he is above average or elite in pressure, tackles, disposal efficiency and clearances. Then the coaches come out and say point blank that these are the reasons he is in the side. Just to help those who still don't get it, they show us some of the film edits the club puts together and then go on to mention that the guy studies and works hard adding a skill set that means a more balanced midfield.

The club may as well of just put out a press release with a link to this website with the words" Not the devil. An important player in our team. We are 11-1. We know what we are doing. Please enjoy the season and stop your ******* bitching".

I guess 4 years studying PR turns what I just said, into this: https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-06-11/guthrie-a-quiet-achiever

Whilst I understand this thread is for all of us fans to be an armchair coach and talk trash and football. Now for perhaps 13-14 other teams, whose seasons are looking more unlikely to fall short, I would say that it is fair to question the coaches. They may even have players, love or hate, who they want in or out of the squad.

Then this week, the media guys down a the cattery, after reading through the utter nonsense spewed forth on this thread, decided to write an article specifically just to say those giving him a wack are wrong. As a lot of us have noticed, he is playing as a more defensive mid in particular around stoppages: https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-06-11/guthrie-a-quiet-achiever

Even here, they do state that within isolated contests, you are going to be beaten when you are playing on the absolute best players in the competition. But, at the very least, if you break even with these players, that means our 4-5th mid is breaking even with the top 20 mids in the competition. Whilst it is fun to watch in a neutral game, why on earth would you want Duncan, Kelly, Danger going head to head against those gun players and perhaps winning, perhaps losing or breaking even when you can have Gutherie, a player who has spent a lot of time learning the defensive aspects of the game, doing it instead? (or for that matter Constable a bloke clearly not at the stage in his career to regularly go head to head with the competitions elite midfielders).

The stats show that he is above average or elite in pressure, tackles, disposal efficiency and clearances. Then the coaches come out and say point blank that these are the reasons he is in the side. Just to help those who still don't get it, they show us some of the film edits the club puts together and then go on to mention that the guy studies and works hard adding a skill set that means a more balanced midfield.

The club may as well of just put out a press release with a link to this website with the words" Not the devil. An important player in our team. We are 11-1. We know what we are doing. Please enjoy the season and stop your ******* bitching".

I guess 4 years studying PR turns what I just said, into this: https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-06-11/guthrie-a-quiet-achiever

pkqcw[1].jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you are correct, you argue the point. When you aren't, you go rogue and start arguing any point....how would Gutherie go up against the 1979 Chinese Ping Pong team?

If he played for the Hungarian team, then he'd be a winner that's for sure! Which comes back a full circle. Isn't that funny how the truth comes out so easily.

There is no need to refer to other posters as "intellectual pygmies"......lets just settle.....

giphy.gif

Genuine question :

How is disposal efficiency judged?

A guy has the ball. He handballs to a guy standing still, with his opponent crowding him.

The handball hits its intended target, but the recipient loses possession because he's motionless and / or his opponent is able to spoil it.

Is it an efficient disposal because it hit its target, or is it a poor disposal because the choice of target was clearly wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back