BigFooty Guy
May 14, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, England Test Team, Sturt
actually becoming pathological...

i suspect this thread (and some like it) are less about the subject, and more about personality clashes between posters, and rubbing in what is perceived as superiority of knowledge/understanding.

in any event, possible to isolate numerous examples of things that can be classified 'poor efforts' for all 44 players in every single game.

guthrie is not a star, and he has probably not lived up to early billing and perhaps his draft selection. but he is a solid and largely dependable player.

some of the criticisms are justified at times, although far from as fatal as they are made out.

others, though... his hair? what year is this, 1952?

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
actually becoming pathological...

i suspect this thread (and some like it) are less about the subject, and more about personality clashes between posters, and rubbing in what is perceived as superiority of knowledge/understanding.

in any event, possible to isolate numerous examples of things that can be classified 'poor efforts' for all 44 players in every single game.

guthrie is not a star, and he has probably not lived up to early billing and perhaps his draft selection. but he is a solid and largely dependable player.

some of the criticisms are justified at times, although far from as fatal as they are made out.

others, though... his hair? what year is this, 1952?

that'd be Henry

:p

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Cam was ok at shutting down his opponent. He rotated of multiple as wb. I found whoever was matched up on Dangerfield were racking up the stats and would run forward and hit the scoreboard.

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
I found whoever was matched up on Dangerfield were racking up the stats and would run forward and hit the scoreboard.

You must have missed the spell Guthrie had on Bont, you know, where he tore us a new one and almost got the Dogs back in the game.

Guthrie's game yesterday was rubbish. His defensive game was rubbish, his usefulness (when it happened) with the footy was purely circumstantial, in other words, if it fell his way, he picked it up and sometimes was effective. He had plenty of opportunity to win the footy during the long periods he had in the midfield, he failed most times.

His disposal tally for a mid, not good enough. 11 touches? WTF? You'd expect that from a rookie, not a 150 game senior player. In an open, high scoring game too? The only reason anyone is accepting this is we're winning, which in such an even competition is an idiotic contention.

We got beaten for long periods of the game in the midfield, I wonder if this would have happened if someone else was in there trying to actually win the footy rather than worrying about standing there with his arm around whichever opposition player is closest. This guy is almost always our worst mid, every week. He should be challenging Duncan at least, the reality is he's never played a single game as good as Duncan's yesterday.

Every game we give Guthrie is a wasted opportunity for the team / a youngster to grow into a the player he will never be.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
You must have missed the spell Guthrie had on Bont, you know, where he tore us a new one and almost got the Dogs back in the game.

Guthrie's game yesterday was rubbish. His defensive game was rubbish, his usefulness (when it happened) with the footy was purely circumstantial, in other words, if it fell his way, he picked it up and sometimes was effective. He had plenty of opportunity to win the footy during the long periods he had in the midfield, he failed most times.

His disposal tally for a mid, not good enough. 11 touches? WTF? You'd expect that from a rookie, not a 150 game senior player. In an open, high scoring game too? The only reason anyone is accepting this is we're winning, which in such an even competition is an idiotic contention.

We got beaten for long periods of the game in the midfield, I wonder if this would have happened if someone else was in there trying to actually win the footy rather than worrying about standing there with his arm around whichever opposition player is closest. This guy is almost always our worst mid, every week. He should be challenging Duncan at least, the reality is he's never played a single game as good as Duncan's yesterday.

Every game we give Guthrie is a wasted opportunity for the team / a youngster to grow into a the player he will never be.
Yeah. He is rubbish. I thought our midfield as a whole was poor though

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
This thread is hilarious.
Here's what The Mongrel Punt wrote about Guth.
He was given the 2 votes...

One player the Cats would be glad to have hung onto would be Cam Guthrie, who is starting to regain the form shown from 2016 that would see him a regular in the Cats’ midfield. On a day that wasn’t fantastic for tackling numbers from the Cats’ small forwards – Guthrie's seven were a noticeable standout in a team devoid of forward pressure.

I expect to be called a liar for posting this.
Fire away!

OddYears

Club Legend
May 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Geelong

One player the Cats would be glad to have hung onto would be Cam Guthrie, who is starting to regain the form shown from 2016 that would see him a regular in the Cats’ midfield. On a day that wasn’t fantastic for tackling numbers from the Cats’ small forwards – Guthrie's seven were a noticeable standout in a team devoid of forward pressure.

Fire away!
Stop the lies!

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Fire away!
His Aunty wrote that one.

OddYears

Club Legend
May 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Geelong

Fire away!
But seriously if Selwood was asked to play that ‘role’ he’d have 20 tackles per game. Massive difference between cuthries let his opponent win the ball then give him a hug than say an Atkins, Dalhaus or Rohan gut busting run and tackle.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
But seriously if Selwood was asked to play that ‘role’ he’d have 20 tackles per game. Massive difference between cuthries let his opponent win the ball then give him a hug than say an Atkins, Dalhaus or Rohan gut busting run and tackle.
Given the record for an entire game is 19, I suspect you're very, very wrong...

OddYears

Club Legend
May 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Geelong
Given the record for an entire game is 19, I suspect you're very, very wrong...
Majority of cuthries tackles are in the middle when the ball is tapped his way, he lets his opponent have first use then lays a tackle. How many tackles do you think Selwood could lay if the instruction was to do the same thing instead of win the footy? 20 wouldn’t be a stretch.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Guth!
Wonder if you'll be dropped next week?
No, you won't.
So it's clear the coach and selection committee are inept.
But, hang on...we're 7-1 and on top of the ladder.
Maybe they know what they're doing?
Struth Guth!
Fair and funny call.
We were winning without him too.
Really thought that we were going past 17 and 18 weaknesses and picking the new force.
A bit disappointed for Chook. He appears affected by it too

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, I'm really just pointing out that he is nowhere near as bad as some make him out to be.

OddYears

Club Legend
May 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair and funny call.
We were winning without him too.
Really thought that we were going past 17 and 18 weaknesses and picking the new force.
A bit disappointed for Chook. He appears affected by it too
It’s an interesting one. Our best wins this year have come without cuthrie in the team as have constables best games. Constable was also poor against the dogs putting up very similar numbers to cuthrie and there are plenty of calls to drop him in the suns preview thread. This is a 7 gamer that has had a better year than cuthrie... it’s funny that the same people that call for constable to be dropped are the ones that have Cuth as a lock in the 22.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s an interesting one. Our best wins this year have come without cuthrie in the team as have constables best games. Constable was also poor against the dogs putting up very similar numbers to cuthrie and there are plenty of calls to drop him in the suns preview thread. This is a 7 gamer that has had a better year than cuthrie... it’s funny that the same people that call for constable to be dropped are the ones that have Cuth as a lock in the 22.
I'll say it's funny.:rolleyes:

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Did you watch the game? Guthrie was doing gut busting tackles. his intensity in defence was quite impressive. Its his offence that was poor.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Majority of cuthries tackles are in the middle when the ball is tapped his way, he lets his opponent have first use then lays a tackle. How many tackles do you think Selwood could lay if the instruction was to do the same thing instead of win the footy? 20 wouldn’t be a stretch.
Yes it would. Professional taggers don't lay 20 in a match, this is a ridiculous stretch.

OddYears

Club Legend
May 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Geelong

Attachments

• FDAD223F-C45E-44E8-A827-05DE1280F3C6.jpeg
    FDAD223F-C45E-44E8-A827-05DE1280F3C6.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 102

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Another crap game from cuthrie. Not sure why he was going to bont. Clearly a few levels below him. If he’s going to play that defensive mid at least line him up on someone he has a chance of stopping.

You make it sound like Bont was dominant when compared to his usual insane standards this year he was poor. This is only the 2nd game this season that he hasn't been in the coaches votes and he was kept to his lowest possession tally and lowest clearances for the season. Yes he had a few great moments but for such a star player he didn't have much impact on the game. Considering Guthrie played a defensive role on him for a good chunk of the game (seemed to be running with him for most of the game when Bont wasn't resting forward) I have to wonder what more you expected him to do.

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
Considering Guthrie played a defensive role on him for a good chunk of the game

I don't think that's true, I saw him on Wallace a lot of the time too..

It's just the way Guthrie plays, if he's not already crawling up someones ass, he actually looks for a player to put his arm around at a stoppage, any player. He does this as a priority instead of worrying about winning the ball. He likes playing behind, which is why tackling is so easy for him... and why his are overrated. He seldom has eyes on winning the ball, he just grabs it in the event it falls his way. WATCH for yourself. My take is he chooses this method to avoid contact, the possibility of getting hit and hurt. It's consistent with him, and how he plays.

No one can excuse Guthrie's game on the weekend, 11 touches for a mid in such a win, in an open game.. for a senior player?

I've said it before, the guy is a circumstantial player, which is why his stats vary so much from game to game, why he's so inconsistent. He stamps so little on a game, he waits around for something to happen, he is a classic passenger who has very little influence. He's basically the opposite of a guy like Dangerfield and others, who MAKE things happen on their own. Create, generate.

Back