Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
Name me a player who has. FFS what an argument...

I just assumed that since Guthrie's Finals performances were better than his H&A (apparently), maybe he might have polled in one of them at least? Nope, he let me down.

Forget that argument then, look at my other one on Guthrie below it re Brownlow votes.

Guthrie has only polled Brownlow votes in one game since the 2016 season (in 2016). Considering Geelong's winning %, for a player playing midfield, this is unheard of, surely?
And Enright didn't poll a Brownlow vote when he won the club b&f - does that mean a flaw in the system or so we ignore anomalies like that?

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I just assumed that since Guthrie's Finals performances were better than his H&A (apparently), maybe he might have polled in one of them at least? Nope, he let me down.

Forget that argument then, look at my other one on Guthrie below it re Brownlow votes.
List of Players who've polled Brownlow votes in finals: N/A

List of Players who haven't polled Brownlow votes in finals: GAJ, Danger, Selwood, Guthrie etc etc etc

Seriously a crap argument based on a logical impossibility.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Guthrie's last 4 finals (since 2016)
Disposals - 14, 9, 20, 22.

Doesn't speak too highly of his H&A performances then, does it?

Guthrie has never polled a Brownlow vote in a final.

Guthrie has only polled Brownlow votes in one game since the 2016 season (in 2016). Considering Geelong's winning %, for a player playing midfield, this is unheard of, surely?

Obviously, this depends on who is playing in the team with him right?

Has Blicavs, our two time best and fairest winner polled many Brownlow votes?

What about All Australian Tom Stewart?

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
And Enright didn't poll a Brownlow vote when he won the club b&f - does that mean a flaw in the system or so we ignore anomalies like that?

Enright never had the chance to play midfield. The B&F is an interesting scoring system, didn't Dangerfield only just win it the year he broke the record for Brownlow votes and completely dominated the competition? Dangerfield should have 3 x B&F, plain and simple.

List of Players who've polled Brownlow votes in finals: N/A

Really, is that a fact? Pfftt.. :) I like to raise Guthrie's Brownlow record, which like any other of his statistical measures is rubbish when factoring the opportunity he's had. His finals record is still poor too. I want someone to find a player, any player who's polled as poorly as him for the opportunity (mid) he's had in a high % winning side.

Guthrie is a special player. Or as the club says "a quiet achiever"... That's the tag you give the kid in your Auskick side who can't get a kick!

2019 averages:

1560337146811.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As we know, every premiership team has passengers. Blake is one, Guthrie would be another.

Though I believe Blake played 99 games, they're still the worst 100 games (to round it up) I've seen an AFL player play. I've not seen a poorer general skill level before, happy to be corrected if someone want's to raise me. Indicative of just how strong we were in that period.

How could anyone not love this thread, seriously? :D
Mark Blake played 99 mostly serviceable games as a tap ruckman and link player.
He played 99 more games than every single BF poster.
He polled Brownlow votes in the same season that Ottens polled nil, zero. Not for 1 second saying I can compare him with Ottens, but clearly he could play a hell of a lot better than you intimate.
He has had a game with 20 possessions, has taken 9 marks in a game, has kicked 2 goals in a game, played in a premiership, amassed 36 hitouts in a game, 11 contested possessions in a game, and has actually been BOG in a game for Geelong.
You have clearly not seen all his 99 games; I actually have.

Last edited:
Guthrie's last 4 finals (since 2016)
Disposals - 14, 9, 20, 22.

Doesn't speak too highly of his H&A performances then, does it?

Guthrie has never polled a Brownlow vote in a final.

This is the most ridiculous thing you have posted in a long line of ridiculous posts.

Straighten up and lose the obsession.

Go Catters

scottydeewah

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New England Patriots
He is playing as our most defensive midfielder, which given his backline experience, makes sense. His tackle numbers are elite and he often plays on the oppositions most dangerous mid at clearances - in particular, centre square bounces.

There is always an interesting idea, "who is a better player" and then balancing that with the mix of players you need to win a game. The argument here is that there aren't too many other options to play his role. Scooter would be an obvious choice, let's be honest though, he needs to show that his body can handle the game.

To be honest I don't really think the club should be looking to play younger players in the AFL unless their form, structure and management all align. They can develop in the VFL just fine. This year is about going 22-1 and then on to a flag.

(Constable could never play again for all I care as long as we win the flag this year!)

This thread just drones on and on and on with no new material being offered...

......except of course revealing Guthrie hasn't polled a Brownlow vote in a final....gobsmacking revelation that.....

This thread may be on its last legs.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This thread just drones on and on and on with no new material being offered...

......except of course revealing Guthrie hasn't polled a Brownlow vote in a final....gobsmacking revelation that.....

This thread may be on its last legs.
I for one am truly shocked that Guthrie has never polled a brownlow vote in a final. THEN I found out that brownlow medalists PFD, G.Ablett and J.Bartel hadn't either. Talk about truly shocking stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back