Opinion Cam Guthrie - out of form? (and tangential Supercoach as guide to form discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been named in defence for weeks... Pfft. I saw him in the centre in the last quarter when the game was over, and the real mids were probably being rested.

In terms of the midfield he's a genuine, certified SPUD. Don't fight it, I'll bring out the stats again if you like.
only three players spent more time in the centre square on sunday (danger, selwood and menegola). He spent more of the first qtr in the centre then he spent in the last qtr by the way. And since when does team sheet positions posted in the paper mean squat.

He spent most of the first qtr as a mid and started in the opening centre bounce.

Really? Maybe C Scott thought a run down back the week before would improve his game/confidence/ability/intensity.. I guess we're up to plan c

Guthrie spent most of sunday playing as a mid. What demotion to defence?

And if you say you're right, explain this:

Contested possessions -
Dangerfield - 18
J Selwood - 11
Menegola - 15
S Selwood - 9
Blicavs - 7
Guthrie - 4

If he's playing in the midfield and not winning the ball, he's useless. Not that he did, not for long at all. His efficiency on the weekend was poor also.

Soft. Spud.

Really? Maybe C Scott thought a run down back the week before would improve his game/confidence/ability/intensity.. I guess we're up to plan c
Theyve been giving him defensive time in case we need him there with betts and rioli potentially looming. Still think they prefer him the mids first but the opposition and performance of ruggles and bews will force their hand.

Last edited:
And if you say you're right, explain this:

Contested possessions -
Dangerfield - 18
J Selwood - 11
Menegola - 15
S Selwood - 9
Blicavs - 7
Guthrie - 4

If he's playing in the midfield and not winning the ball, he's useless. Not that he did, not for long at all. His efficiency on the weekend was poor also.

Soft. Spud.
It's more of a worry if he is playing defence and not getting contested possessions. Also more of a worry if we have a small defender shanking kicks then a midfielder. I'm not saying he played a great game. But he did play the majority in the middle.

With Menegola and Scooter in... This guy goes to the Wing or Defence and he'll be too good in those positions.

Yep. He was more a necessity in the centre for us at times with lack of other options but with the other contested types we have available now he's much better suited coming in off the square or from half back.

Don't you just love it when some keyboard warrior sits on his arse, resorting to the derogatory epithets like "pretty boy" "soft", "pansy" etc ..to denigrate a particular player...

They do not apply to any AFL player...in any side....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always said happy to be proven wrong and no doubt Guthrie had a great 2nd half, hopefully he keeps it up. But he was due.
We'll see how he fares in the best and fairest considering he was in the top half a dozen in the coaches votes for a team that finished 2nd.

Well, what do you know? Another good player coming good at the right time of the season.

Mate, what a joke. Guthrie IS A JOKE. He's played midfield today and has had 5 effective disposals to half time, one tackle. Looks completely out of it. At the start he was on McGlynn and got torn to shreds by him also.

He looked OK against Hawks mids, who are the 18th ranked contested midfield in the league, rubbish in other words.

Guthrie is not midfielder, he's a bog stock, average plodder and will never be anything more. You faithful out there can resist if you like, but you'll just keep getting proven wrong by myself, or anyone else that has half a clue.

Have a good night fellas. Reality may be harsh, but there's always Cold Rock to fall back on Cam. :'(

#guthintheguts

Mate, what a joke. Guthrie IS A JOKE. He's played midfield today and has had 5 effective disposals to half time, one tackle. Looks completely out of it. At the start he was on McGlynn and got torn to shreds by him also.

He looked OK against Hawks mids, who are the 18th ranked contested midfield in the league, rubbish in other words.

Guthrie is not midfielder, he's a bog stock, average plodder and will never be anything more. You faithful out there can resist if you like, but you'll just keep getting proven wrong by myself, or anyone else that has half a clue.

Have a good night fellas. Reality may be harsh, but there's always Cold Rock to fall back on Cam. :'(

#guthintheguts

Played a better game than your hero, Menegola. :D

But seriously, what is wrong with you? Guthrie played shite and he still had a better game than the majority of the team. THE TEAM PLAYED CRAP. Get it? You got to be an out and out champ to get past that, and our few players that are did get past it.

Played a better game than your hero, Menegola. :D

But seriously, what is wrong with you? Guthrie played shite and he still had a better game than the majority of the team. THE TEAM PLAYED CRAP. Get it? You got to be an out and out champ to get past that, and our few players that are did get past it.

My hero Menegola? What? The guy has played 10 or so games and only had a few less touches than Guthrie, BUT had 6 tackles, Guthrie had one, yes ONE tackle while playing midfield for significant time in a prelim final. How do you excuse that? That's piss weak. Menegola is green and shouldn't be comparable to Guthrie who is a 100 game player, a guy who should be rising above in these games. He was rubbish. Soft, like always. Our second tier got tought a lesson last night, they're second / third rate, playing along side two champions.

Guthrie and that age group of players is a huge part of why we're not good enough. It was always the way, we fall too sharply after Dangerfield and Selwood. He's not a midfielder, which is a reality you and some others need to face. Not in a decent side. His contested and defensive game as a mid is laughable.

But seriously, what is wrong with you? Guthrie played shite and he still had a better game than the majority of the team.

The cold rock team? Never seen 20 more junk possessions in my life, had zero impact on the game. Injured players aside and given his position, easily one of the worst on the night.

He is nothing more than a "B" grader.
He could become an A grader with a good development coach- aka Hinkley, Sanderson and McCartney- who were the reason that todays oldies became A graders. Don't underestimate McCartneys role in the Western Bulldogs success nor that of Scarlett, King and Corey. Perhaps time to entice Joel Corey back home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back