Opinion Cam Guthrie - where’s he at?

Is Cam Guthrie out of form?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Very small sample size - but his impact in the third qtr against GWS was huge. We went into halftime looking a little shaky, and he was an absolute prime mover for us grinding them into the KP turf in the 2nd half.

Very small sample size I know, but shows the impact he is capable of when he is firing. Maybe he just should wear the long sleeves under all conditions.

C Guthrie has been good the last two weeks. Building to the finals at the right time.

Whether people like it or not, he's a lock now.

I'd say he's been serviceable of late. The game was hot in the first half on the weekend, he had 3 kicks and really didn't get involved. It was Menegola, Dangerfield and Scott Selwood who had all the ball in the 3rd when we pulled away - they were the real difference. Duncan was brilliant in the 1st, when it was even.

Guthrie is still last in line, still being outperformed more or less every week by the aforementioned players. He's taken the game on more in recent weeks, he's quit almost exclusively going backwards and sideways, which is great! I maintain though that he's still not productive enough for a midfielder, which the stats suggest - or lack of. He wasn't productive enough when moved into defense, and his goal tally for the year provided he played there at times is just dismal (compared to that of a Menegola). He looked completely lost. Tim McGrath mentioned on K-Rock that he thought Guthrie's game Saturday night was average too - following some nut calling in to say he was top 3. I do agree that he's improved on what's been a predominantly pathetic 2017.

If Joel was in the side / when he comes back, there's no room for Guthrie in the midfield. It would make no sense. So he then returns to getting moved around to wherever there's a spot free, where he hasn't performed.

Guthrie actually needs to keep improving while Joel isn't playing - as you say, building. We can't expect the other 4 mids to continue doing the majority of the work, Guthrie has done some good things, but needs to do it more often.

Last edited:

He has been better the last 3weeks for sure,which is just what the team needs heading into September,a contribution from everyone.
Will be interested to see where Guthrie starts in the 1st week of finals if J Selwood returns to the midfield.

Back in the guts and playing much better. Who'd of thunk it?
Better for Cams immediate form certainly.
Where does he fit in 2 weeks time when we probably have Danger,J&S Selwood,Duncan,Menegola and possibly Blicsavs getting midfield time in front of him.
I think he will end up with a role elsewhere again. Hopefully he takes his rediscovered confidence with him wherever he ends up.

Better for Cams immediate form certainly.
Where does he fit in 2 weeks time when we probably have Danger,J&S Selwood,Duncan,Menegola and possibly Blicsavs getting midfield time in front of him.
I think he will end up with a role elsewhere again. Hopefully he takes his rediscovered confidence with him wherever he ends up.
Who knows?

Interestingly Menegola seems to have found his niche not as a centre square midfielder but as a high half forward. He has only attended 10 centre bounces in the last three weeks and he is thriving.

Expect Scooter, Blicavs and Guthrie to share the tagging and run with duties.

If we are a point down in time on of the 4th quarter the A team is PFD, Jelwood and Duncan.

Who knows?

Interestingly Menegola seems to have found his niche not as a centre square midfielder but as a high half forward. He has only attended 10 centre bounces in the last three weeks and he is thriving.

If we are a point down in time on of the 4th quarter the A team is PFD, Jelwood and Duncan.

If we are bouncing the ball in our goal square, then I guarantee it will be Scott Selwood claiming that free, with Joel Selwood close second and Parfitt waiting nearby to be tackled without having the ball...

Who knows?

I completely agree re: Menegola EXCEPT those center bounce numbers are a little skewed, he's been first in as often as Dangerfield has started there.
But yes, seems a brilliant position for him, gets plenty of the ball (and gee he can use it well) and bobs up for plenty of goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing the Caddy role and playing it better than Josh did for us and better than he's doing now at the Tigers.
So keen to see how he goes on Friday week.

What the **** does that have to do with his post or the thread in general?

??? Two completely different players playing different roles in the team. Why even bring him up?

Guthrie this year has also played a very similar role to Menegola and Caddy of last year, at times playing in the midfield and up forward, for some games predominantly. Guhrie's tally? A paltry 4 goals in 19 games for the year, Menegola 18 goals in the same amount of games. A lot more productive as a mid too. Menegola's 2017 is clearly better than any season either Guthrie or Caddy have put together. Brilliant season.

All 3 players are very comparable.

Last edited:
Guthrie this year has also played a very similar role to Menegola and Caddy of last year, at times playing in the midfield and up forward, for some games predominantly. Guhrie's tally? A paltry 4 goals in 19 games for the year, Menegola 18 goals in the same amount of games. A lot more productive as a mid too. Menegola's 2017 is clearly better than any season either Guthrie or Caddy have put together. Brilliant season.

Boy you're annoying. Such a vacuous comment in a thread unrelated.
Take you Guthrie bullshit back to the swamp it belongs.

Well the thread was about celebrating Menegola. You saw that as an opportunity to bring up Guthrie and sink your boot into him. It had nothing to do with Sam.

Actually. It was.

Go Catters

It's clearly topical re Menegola. Get a clue. See below:

Last edited:
You forgot to add golden boy Cam 'the ice cream scoop' Guthrie.. :drunk:

It had the name 'Menegola' in it twice. Get a clue.

I think I see your issue. You only see what you want to see.

The first post has no mention of anything or anyone but Guthrie and icecream. Yet you claim in the second that you had used Menegola twice.

Best leave this here and move on I feel. :oops:

Go Catters

Guthers no longer off the boil. His last few weeks are looking finals promise in the eye. Guthrie, Motlop, Blitz and Murder are staking a claim to become highly important in the finals.
His game was off for the first half of this year, but he is looking important now.

Back