Opinion Cam Guthrie - where’s he at?

Is Cam Guthrie out of form?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have a dog in this fight but this is completely false.
B&F voting is singular, Premierships are not, ergo B&F is a good way to compare players within the same club quite well.
Otherwise Shannon Byrnes is twice the player of GAS, Tony Lockett etc etc etc

2 x zero = zero
But I do agree with you

So where's he best suited from here*?
Seems a bit like Viktor Navorski in that he may be without a 'home'.

article-2269437-016ADBB30000044D-511_634x383.jpg

He's moved a little further down in the mids now that we have Ablett. He isn't a forward, and faces stiff competition in defence from Bews, Stewart, Tuohy, Thurlow, Zuthrie for those small/medium roles. Do we just have to make him a HBF now or is he still useful in the midfield rotations?

*Stock standard calls of VFL from certain plebs will be met with a complimentary eye roll. This is about what role he should play, not what side he should be in.

Backline positions been lost to a combination of Bews, Stewart and Tuohy. He sucks as a forward, the midfield is just looking way to sharp with Selwoodx2, Danger, Duncs and Gazza.

Id say wing, Motlop gone and the opportunity is there for him. I blame Scott mostly for whats happened to Guthrie hes become a tragic case of excessive positional changes. I feel its hindered his development - though i think he always had a relatively average ceiling anyway.

No doubt he was off this year, the argument was over in the polls. Onus on Cam to piece together some form.

Our man is 'off the boil' with the club now too, ranked 18th overall (avg votes).

When you consider how many young players we played in 2017, that basically ranks him as our worst player (other than Murdoch) who isn't a sub 20 gamer. Guthrie's scope for attention is high too, rotating through midfield, loose off defence, etc.

Alarm bells. The club needs to find a way to extract some worth out of this guy, at the moment he's dead weight. Pure passenger.

I’m not sure why you’d give any credence to best and fairest results. Some people think it’s a flawed system, like this bloke below.

Statistic? Lol. Good one. Add that puppy to the list of many reasons the B&F is flawed. :thumbsu:

I don't have a dog in this fight but this is completely false.
B&F voting is singular, Premierships are not, ergo B&F is a good way to compare players within the same club quite well.
Otherwise Shannon Byrnes is twice the player of GAS, Tony Lockett etc etc etc

No dog either... not even really sure what is the discussion ..Caddy V Guthrie ?

To me its just on tick on the list but far from the be all and end all. B&F can be biased like other awards ... who was the better player Gary Hocking or Gary Ablett Sr? As you say Premierships Martin Pike or Gary Ablett? etc...

It would seem that when players like Locket and Ablett didn't win a handful of B&F's that what they were getting gauged on..is not what they are hailed for , or perhaps its just easy to underestimate forwards. Brownlow votes for GA show that he struggled to get votes unless he kicked 7 or more.

imo B&F can be distorted too when one club has such a strong player that hog the award. Some of those Haw players back in Leigh Matthews day or StK with Nick Riewoldt. Roles can affect it as well ..mid compared to forward or back.

I have done it heaps of times by stats , it is superficial but is a guide only ..an overview and more often than not can be made to represent the argument you wish to make...either way.

If I was comparing Caddy V Guthrie. Caddy was obviously better in the forwardline . Some of Guthries better work has been done mid to back. Very different players.

So where's he best suited from here*?
Seems a bit like Viktor Navorski in that he may be without a 'home'.

article-2269437-016ADBB30000044D-511_634x383.jpg

He's moved a little further down in the mids now that we have Ablett. He isn't a forward, and faces stiff competition in defence from Bews, Stewart, Tuohy, Thurlow, Zuthrie for those small/medium roles. Do we just have to make him a HBF now or is he still useful in the midfield rotations?

*Stock standard calls of VFL from certain plebs will be met with a complimentary eye roll. This is about what role he should play, not what side he should be in.
I would put him ahead of Blicavs

I’m not sure why you’d give any credence to best and fairest results. Some people think it’s a flawed system, like this bloke below.

It is flawed, in the case of 2017, the B&F result does match with Guthrie's year statistically. The premise for me challenging the B&F results in the past was that it didn't necessarily. Nor is it representative of a players dominance V the rest of the competition.

As of now, Guthrie is in the bottom few of every side we put out there. Dance around it all you like, FACT.

He is nowhere in the team. Our midfield is going to look better than it has for years with Ablett (Scott Selwood and Menegola have gone past him also), we'll likely have our small forward stocks back (not that the Guthrie experiment there wasn't a total failure), Bews and Tuohy have left him behind in terms of genuine defenders too. He was played and tried everywhere in 2017 and basically failed everywhere... The club will actually have to try and find a spot for him, which is ridiculous. Don't forget he's in the leadership group too. Oh dear.

Considering how much of a favourite he is at the club, it's amazing he did suck so bad in the B&F.

It is flawed, in the case of 2017, the B&F result does match with Guthrie's year statistically. The premise for me challenging the B&F results in the past was that it didn't necessarily. Nor is it representative of a players dominance V the rest of the competition.

As of now, Guthrie is in the bottom few of every side we put out there. Dance around it all you like, FACT.

He is nowhere in the team. Our midfield is going to look better than it has for years with Ablett (Scott Selwood and Menegola have gone past him also), we'll likely have our small forward stocks back (not that the Guthrie experiment there wasn't a total failure), Bews and Tuohy have left him behind in terms of genuine defenders too. He was played and tried everywhere in 2017 and basically failed everywhere... The club will actually have to try and find a spot for him, which is ridiculous. Don't forget he's in the leadership group too. Oh dear.

Considering how much of a favourite he is at the club, it's amazing he did suck so bad in the B&F.

Your first post in over a month and it's in the Guthrie thread...

IMG_3117.GIF

Watched a game on fox the other day not sure from when, but Guthrie was a different player. More creative, positive, evasive. Not sure what has happened since for him to seemingly go backwards. Defensive responsibility?overcoaching? Spitting the dummy?
Interestingly Murdoch was playing too. Hasn't improved a jot. Forgot how long he has played with us and done nothing....

I wonder if we didn’t have Z.Guthrie whether C.Guthrie may have been put on the trade table?
I think the fact they played him through such a terrible patch of form, and Scott's comments over the last few seasons, show they really rate him internally - unlike, say, Motlop.

I think the fact they played him through such a terrible patch of form, and Scott's comments over the last few seasons, show they really rate him internally - unlike, say, Motlop.

Probably true. He's a bit like Motlop funnily enough in that his good games show that he is capable of playing footy at a high level. Unfortunately too often he will put a few good games together and then go missing for 6 weeks. Much like Motlop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's position does he take?

That's a good question. I just feel like the MC are definitely going to play him so that's where he'd be, otherwise if his form continues to be what it was for the majority of last season I'd be fine playing him in the VFL but that won't happen. It'll be interesting to see because I really want Thurlow to get games off half back, plus I want guys like Parfitt/Parsons/Cockatoo given a bit more midfield time starting on the wing.

The 07-11 team really made it when players that had been playing midfield like Enright and wanted to be a midfielder like Chappy were pushed back or forward. Even Kelly really didn't become a mid again until GAJ left, playing as a defensive forward and then as a fill in half back when Hunt and Wojo did their knees.

So ultimately with GAJ back and midfield spots at a premium Guthrie should be set to play as a defender over the pre season but Scott doesn't work like that so expecting more of the same for Guthrie in 2018.

Could Cam Guthrie be our 2018 trade bait?

He absolutely could be, whether he will be is another story.

It's kinda funny that he's such good mates with Mark Blicavs, because both of them need to lock down a position somewhere.

Could Cam Guthrie be our 2018 trade bait?
If that happens it’s a bad result. Because it will mean he has had a poor 2018 and we won’t get anything of value in trade.

We need him back at his best.

Cam's been dumped from the 2018 Leadership Team.

At least the club can drop him now without looking like idiots for putting him where he should never have been...

DX1iXgOU8AAXg5E.jpg:large

Cam's been dumped from the 2018 Leadership Team.

At least the club can drop him now without looking like idiots for putting him where he should never have been...

DX1iXgOU8AAXg5E.jpg:large
Except for the fact he removed himself...

Back