Toast Cam Guthrie

Remove this Banner Ad

I dare say that the majority of the negative contributors to that thread have barely posted on this board since 2019/2020 when Guthrie came of age
2019 he indeed started to show better signs.

But then the sequence of Kelly out > Guthrie our main stoppage midfielder (where he could truly excel) > J.Cameron worked out spectacularly even if the first link on the chain wasn't actually the clubs decision. Funny how it works out sometimes.

I still maintain that Chappy's head on top of Cockatoo's body could have been the footballer of the century.

Alas back on topic - well done on the striking noggin, Cammo. You are the one who knocks.
Chappy's head on Cockatoo's body..? That's one angry dude sidelined by injury.

Gonna miss Guthrie's locks. Hope it's all for a good cause.

2019 he indeed started to show better signs.

But then the sequence of Kelly out > Guthrie our main stoppage midfielder (where he could truly excel) > J.Cameron worked out spectacularly even if the first link on the chain wasn't actually the clubs decision. Funny how it works out sometimes.

Not sure even the staunchest of fans would think that in the space of 3 seasons he'd become a 2 x Carji winner, and that those wins would come in years we play in a grand final & his second in a year we win the premiership

Always feels like a B&F in a premiership year is that little extra bit special

Not sure even the staunchest of fans would think that in the space of 3 seasons he'd become a 2 x Carji winner, and that those wins would come in years we play in a grand final & his second in a year we win the premiership

Always feels like a B&F in a premiership year is that little extra bit special
There were us that suggested he forget chasing cheap stats and get more dangerous at the contest and he'd be a better player I'd suggest that's exactly what happened in the 22 season and he got his just deserves.

There were us that suggested he forget chasing cheap stats and get more dangerous at the contest and he'd be a better player I'd suggest that's exactly what happened in the 22 season and he got his just deserves.
You mean like when they changed him from an outside wing player to permanent inside stoppage midfielder? Because that's exactly when it happened.

His 2020 was great btw.

I never rated Kelly. He'd win the contest and kick it straight down the throat of the opposition 40m down the line. Guthrie filling that role was a huge improvement IMHO.

I dare say that the majority of the negative contributors to that thread have barely posted on this board since 2019/2020 when Guthrie came of age
Patrick seems to have completely vanished

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never rated Kelly. He'd win the contest and kick it straight down the throat of the opposition 40m down the line. Guthrie filling that role was a huge improvement IMHO.
Very harsh marker. He was a super player for us, and stood up in finals and particularly last quarters. That Richmond prelim was a truly special performance, particularly when others went missing.

Hasn't been the same player since moving west, but his Geelong days were very much the equal of what we've seen of Cam. Both terrific players with different strengths and weaknesses.

Very harsh marker. He was a super player for us, and stood up in finals and particularly last quarters. That Richmond prelim was a truly special performance, particularly when others went missing.

Hasn't been the same player since moving west, but his Geelong days were very much the equal of what we've seen of Cam. Both terrific players with different strengths and weaknesses.

What is lost in the Kelly discussion is that he was on base wage for two years. A player averaging 24 touches and close to a goal a game is amazing value. You don’t care that he goes 48% by foot.

When he is on 700k a year, it starts to matter more as he is taking up the spot of a 700k player that was previously supporting/protecting him. Suddenly his raw output drops and his efficiency by foot is still 48%.

Purely on wages he goes from the most cap efficient players to one well below par.

Maybe. He was super at winning contested ball, but give me the choice of it already being in his or in Guthrie's hands and I will choose Cam everytime.

What is lost in the Kelly discussion is that he was on base wage for two years. A player averaging 24 touches and close to a goal a game is amazing value. You don’t care that he goes 48% by foot.

When he is on 700k a year, it starts to matter more as he is taking up the spot of a 700k player that was previously supporting/protecting him. Suddenly his raw output drops and his efficiency by foot is still 48%.

Purely on wages he goes from the most cap efficient players to one well below par.
My take on Kelly is the classic case of a talented player with hunger, to a talented player who is just phoning it in..Good argument for performance based contracts.

I've never understood the science and correlation between a player's ability and the style of his haircut........
I dont know - you look at the other Guthrie Zac - as soon as grew his hair long - he looked and played like a far better footballer

When he had the Dennis the Menace( USA TV Show of the 1960s ) look - he looked no good at all as a footballer - apphensive - unsure

Once he threw that Dennis the Menace look out with Thursdays rubbish - and let those locks grow - it was the turning point in his career - ha-ha-ha

I dont know - you look at the other Guthrie Zac - as soon as grew his hair long - he looked and played like a far better footballer

When he had the Dennis the Menace( USA TV Show of the 1960s ) look - he looked no good at all as a footballer - apphensive - unsure

Once he threw that Dennis the Menace look out with Thursdays rubbish - and let those locks grow - it was the turning point in his career - ha-ha-ha
Conversely, a player like GAJ became one of the greatest players - if not THE greatest - of all time after going bald.

It certainly does go both ways.

Conversely, a player like GAJ became one of the greatest players - if not THE greatest - of all time after going bald.

It certainly does go both ways.
His last year before he went chrome dome was arguably his most important and cherished though. As good as Bartel was that year, Ablett through that year and in the prelim especially was immense. Will remember watching his efforts live that year, forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back